Author Topic: Master Fader V1.4.3 is Here!  (Read 18788 times)

Jkowtko

• Padawan
Re: Master Fader V1.4.3 is Here!
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2013, 03:20:13 PM »
Oops, sorry --

So is the CACOPHONY that 1.4.3 is a bad release and we should not upgrade?

Or is it just more temperamental on the booting sequence than prior releases?

Or are these the same problems people have with every release due to clunky usability of the product?

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2013, 03:55:45 PM »
LOL!

I've had no major problems with it. If the docked iPad doesn't connect when you power up just undock and dock it, then go into "connections" and choose "wired".

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2013, 04:38:34 PM »
The consensus is that the jury is still out on this one. Clue number one. Some users are having issues and not during boot up. Unfortunately this usually happens when you least expect it and the exact sequence of events is usually lost. Is it repeatable? No. Clue number two. .. The router always comes before the DL though or else it won't connect properly to the network. This is a known automatic reconnect flaw in DL's logic bypassed by a manual reconnect request. This one has been around since day one. Clue number three. The V1.4.3 list of new features includes the "smaller footprint and speed improvements" or something like that. This means that they compiled the app with a different set of switches to remove debug links and optimize the code. This will bring out the nasty bugs. Depending on the quality of regression testing this may or may not show up. Is it a good release? If it works for you, yes otherwise no, your gamble.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 04:58:30 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2013, 04:59:00 PM »
If you are not using the wireless make sure you turn "airplane mode" on. If you will be using the wireless make sure you do all of this:
http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=193.0
Otherwise you will get what you deserve x( .

Jkowtko

• Padawan
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2013, 05:17:37 PM »
This means that they compiled the app with a different set of switches to remove debug links and optimize the code. This will bring out the nasty bugs.

Ouch ... depending on whether or not the development language is memory safe, removing debug from the compilation could expose memory pointer overruns ... ran into this years ago in C development.   iOS dev is in "Objective C" ... is it subject to the same issues?

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2013, 04:10:04 PM »
That and hundreds more. Murphy can have a field day with any of this. Remember that the code also has to run on single core as well as a multicore processor. Probably not much utilization of A5X, A6 capabilities being used due to backward compatibility being necessary. As I recollect the ARM uses a virtual memory system (mapped) and Harvard architecture (separate instruction and data space) but remember that compilers are just another piece of software with all the same problems as any other app (bugs).
When in doubt KISS

ijpengelly

• Knight
  • Weekend Warrior
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2013, 01:33:32 PM »
Did a gig last night with this version and had no issues during the night. I had an acoustic set on first followed by two rock bands. 14 channels and four monitors sends were used and a fifth aux was used to provide an output to the subs, using the EQ on the mains and fifth aux as a makeshift crossover. (the band who's gear we were supposed to be using had blown tweeters in their Peavey tops, so I had to use my active RCFs and their bins for front of house)

The whole thing was stable, my wireless connection remained available throughout.