Author Topic: HELP finding files!  (Read 7932 times)

Mr. Mom

• Youngling
HELP finding files!
« on: September 01, 2013, 03:05:31 PM »
Here's the 411 (as the kids would say). I've recorded with my 1608 before and have had no issues with the recording or the retrieval of the files and downloading them on my laptop.

I have recorded multiple live sets the past two weekends on my iPad while it is docked into the 1608 console. I hit record, the record button stays red, I hit record again at the end of a set and name my recording. Repeat. No problems or pop up warnings. No background apps open. Plenty of space for more files/recordings. All apps updated.

The problem is I am unable to locate the recordings. I hook up the iPad with my laptop and go to Apps/File Sharing/Master Fader, but there are no files listed in the Master Fader Documents window.

I do think there are recordings somewhere in the Master Fader app as my backup size for the Master Fader app (for the next backup to my iCloud) is 2.6 GB. That backup size seems pretty big and I'm ASSuming that the files I'm looking for are somewhere in the Master Fader app.

Mackie has been no help. And I'm not technically....Uh...Inclined, to say the least.

I have followed the instructions in the manual to the letter many, many times.

Anybody have this problem? What the heck am I doing wrong? It's driving me crazy!!

EDIT: One thing to add is I've recently subscribed to Apple's iCloud. Could this somehow be the culprit?

Ampli

• Knight
Re: HELP finding files!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 10:46:18 AM »
U need to go to itunes
Then click on the ipad
Then in the first page scroll down
There u find the recording
There is a video here : (http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=204.0)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 10:49:06 AM by Ampli »

Mr. Mom

• Youngling
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 09:11:36 PM »
I've done that.  Many times.  Not there. 

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 12:52:27 PM »
Mr. Mom. My advice to you is to not use the record function on the master fader app. There are plenty of free apps that not only allow you to record but to also play back as well. And this way you can immediately know if you have your recordings or not and also make adjustments if the mix is off. I have been using the tascam PCM recorder. Works great. I have been using it with my iphone 5 as well as my iPad. Others that I have used include Auria and garage band. They work just fine as well. Here is also another great tip: If you need better quality mixes for recordings a good thing to do is use an aux for mains and leave the main channels for recording.

Mr. Mom

• Youngling
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 01:17:46 PM »
Mr. Mom. My advice to you is to not use the record function on the master fader app. There are plenty of free apps that not only allow you to record but to also play back as well. And this way you can immediately know if you have your recordings or not and also make adjustments if the mix is off. I have been using the tascam PCM recorder. Works great. I have been using it with my iphone 5 as well as my iPad. Others that I have used include Auria and garage band. They work just fine as well. Here is also another great tip: If you need better quality mixes for recordings a good thing to do is use an aux for mains and leave the main channels for recording.

Thanks!  From what I've read here that seems to be the way to go.  It's bugging me that those files are either not recording properly, not being saved or are not able to be retrieved after following the 1608 instructions.  Plus, I suspect those files are now using 2.6 GB of internal space on my iPad with no way to get them out??  I figure it's "user error" especially since I've done all this before with no issues at all. 

All our Aux's are used (6 members = 6 monitor sends), and we are "closed" in that we have no amps on stage and the drums are electronic and we use IEM's.  Only "open" instrument is an acoustic guitar.

iPhone 5, you say?  Soooooo......I can record on my iPhone and/or iPad at the same time?  Never thought of that.

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 01:35:43 PM »
Not at the same time. The only device that can record is the one that is docked. I use my phone because I need my iPad wireless to control the dl, use onsong and play break music.

Please tell me you had the iPad docked last time you thought you were recording. I am assuming the answer is yes otherwise the record button is not available.

Mr. Mom

• Youngling
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 03:16:44 PM »
Not at the same time. The only device that can record is the one that is docked. I use my phone because I need my iPad wireless to control the dl, use onsong and play break music.

Please tell me you had the iPad docked last time you thought you were recording. I am assuming the answer is yes otherwise the record button is not available.

Just to clarify:  So even with the recommended apps the recording device has to be docked?  And you dock your phone and (via a adaptor?) and keep your iPad wireless?

And yes:  The iPad was docked.  Record button was present and used properly.  Files were named.  No background apps being used.  Plenty of space left I both the Master Fader app and the iPad's memory.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 06:21:54 PM »
Try snooping about with this:
http://i-funbox.com

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 06:47:35 PM »
Yes iPhone is docked with adaptor. iPad is left wireless.

Mr. Mom

• Youngling
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 06:57:48 PM »
Try snooping about with this:
http://i-funbox.com

Cool!  Thanks!

No files found under the Master Fader app, so I'm going to assume the information did not get recorded.  Which is another problem in itself, I guess.

Why would my next iCloud upload be 2.6 G for the Master Fader app?  I was thinking the recorded sets were in there because of the size of the upload.

Mr. Mom

• Youngling
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 06:58:01 PM »
Yes iPhone is docked with adaptor. iPad is left wireless.

Thanks!

Mr. Mom

• Youngling
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 12:06:38 AM »
Just a quickie update.

I had time to set up everything and try recording with the Master Fader app and a the Voice Record app.  Voice Record is a no brainer.  Though I can't use Amazing Slow Downer while using Voice Record.

BUT, I had success recording/saving/transferring files using Master Fader.  Honestly, I have NO idea what I did to make it happen, but it worked.

Here's a coupla questions that I didn't see addressed in the MF manual:
--Is there a certain procedure for turning the iPad or undocking it from the 1608 MF after the recording has been stopped and named?
--Is there a certain procedure for turning the iPad on when transferring files to a laptop?

I'd also like to say "Thanks" to all those who have taken the time to respond.  I'm not technically inclined (to say the least) and I've learned some new things here that I'm going to use on gigs.   :thu: