Author Topic: First Major Malfunction during show - WTF??  (Read 3547 times)

JMc

• Padawan
First Major Malfunction during show - WTF??
« on: September 09, 2013, 05:26:24 AM »
I've had the iPad overheat and lock up before during a gig due to direct sunshine.  We now keep the mixer on a shelf in the rack, shielded from the sun.  Problem solved.  But what happened last evening needs some sort of an explanation and I sure hope someone can provide it.  During our set, the lead vocal mic suddenly dropped in volume by about 85%.  None of the levels had been changed on the mixer.  All appeared normal.  The mic was swapped, the mic cable was swapped, both to no avail.  When I went to try and recall the show to soft reboot it, I was aghast to see all of the saved shows GONE.  Nada.  Zip.  The only thing that brought back the gain on the mic was rebooting the iPad and mixer.  Then, with the exception of all the missing saved shows, all was back to normal. 

Anyone else experienced this after the latest update?  I'm not happy. 

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: First Major Malfunction during show - WTF??
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 05:37:02 PM »
http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=442.15
Would be helpful to know all the conditions and changes since last no-problem performance.
When in doubt KISS

JMc

• Padawan
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 06:15:39 PM »
Thanks for the link.  There were no changes since the last performance.  I updated to the latest fader application when it first came out a few weeks ago.  Gig last week was fine.  No issues.  First three quarters of THIS gig was fine, with no issues.  Input metering WAS working.  Showing good signal, only, it wasn't coming through the mixer and into the amp until the reboot. 

The only thing that was different is that one of my band mates brought his iPad for the first time and did not dock it in the mixer, but just connected through the WiFi.  But that was earlier before we even started the show.  When the screen came up with the choice of how to connect, he handed it to me and I chose the DL-1608 button as opposed to offline or iPad storage.  It's possible that the saved shows were wiped out at that point, I suppose, because I really had no reason to go back and check them until I developed the lead mic level problems in the third set.  It still doesn't explain why my mic level dropped, even though it was showing a strong input level on the iPad mixer display....

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 06:37:44 PM »
Sounds like your DL is having some issues not related to the iPad. I would check your DL warranty date. Since we're talking about two iPads and your friends didn't have the shows on his hopefully the sync to dl works as advertised. Syncing to his would have deleted the shows and if you synced after that, then that would be the results. That is the argument for backup to iTunes. Not very good after the fact. Also were both iPads using the same version ?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 06:40:12 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

JMc

• Padawan
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 05:38:22 PM »
No, my iPad was synced before his.  And yes, we're using the same version.  I'm not sure if my shows are backed up to iTunes or not.  Not really sure how that works.  I HAVE synced to iTunes several times to pull off recorded audio...  Guess I'll connect it now and see what's what.  Fortunately, all the current settings in the DL-1608 were unaffected and I just saved them as a new show, so it's not like I'm having to start from ground zero again. 

I should also add that until this hiccup, I've been very pleased with my DL-1608 and have no axes to grind with Mackie.  Looking forward to more updates, but stability, as this incident illustrates, is the most important thing to me.