Author Topic: SRM1850s  (Read 9640 times)

DJStubbs

• Initiate
SRM1850s
« on: July 21, 2015, 03:57:44 AM »
I have 2 1850s and they are very nice. I like the weight and the sound is pretty good!

But im looking for a little more.

I was looking at replacement subs on partsexpress, if i were to get a new driver would it make a difference?
Are the ones these come with stock cheap?

Would a neodymium make a huge difference?

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
Re: SRM1850s
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 12:44:05 PM »
Any mods you do would probably degrade their performance. Are you just afraid to turn them up enough? You can turn up until the limit lights on them starts to flash and then another 3-6 dB. Only if you need to be that loud of course ;) .

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
Re: SRM1850s
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 09:09:39 PM »
I have 2 1850s and they are very nice. I like the weight and the sound is pretty good!

But im looking for a little more.

I was looking at replacement subs on partsexpress, if i were to get a new driver would it make a difference?
Are the ones these come with stock cheap?

Would a neodymium make a huge difference?

The problem you seek a solution to isn't the driver, it's the whole box. It's basically usable to down to 40Hz without much real output below that. If you want something more, you need a larger box that can go lower, down into the low 30Hz range as is -3dB point. And you probably want more of those boxes. Real sub bass output requires serious displacement of air volume. No self powered box for under $1000 is going to do that. You have step up a level or two in price and performance to get real rumble and thump.
Procrastinators of the World, Contemplate Uniting!