Author Topic: DL1608 DSP load  (Read 11188 times)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
DL1608 DSP load
« on: September 26, 2013, 09:45:09 PM »
According to a poster on Mackies Facebook site with all fx, eq, compressor, etc. processing in full use the DSP (400Mhz dual core Sharc) is utilizing about 25% of it's processing power. That should leave lots for a real-time FFT for setup etc.
"I just found an interview with Dimitri Metzeltin from Mackie's Loud Technologies Inc.. He said, if all DSP features, EQs, COMPs., REV., DELs are ON, only 25% of the DSP - power is used and there is enough power for big upgrates . HOPE IS RAISING !"
He also stated in the interview that fader groups are possible or at least high on the list for implementation.
My translation
bonedo: Aber die schon angekündigte Fadergruppierung wird auch für mehr als zwei Fader gleichzeitig möglich sein?
bonedo: Is it possible that the just announced fader grouping can handle more than two faders simultaneously?
Dimitri Metzeltin: Genau. Neben dem reinen Stereo-Pairing wird man auch Fadergruppen bilden können, und Mutegruppen natürlich genauso. Auch das steht ganz oben auf der Liste
Dimitri Metzeltin: Exactly. Aside from the pure stereo pairing one can construct fader groups as well as mute groups. These are high on our list.
What you can't read German?
In case you can here's the interview.

http://www.bonedo.de/artikel/einzelansicht/mackie-dl1608-ein-blick-hinter-die-kulissen/2.html
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 11:31:53 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

ijpengelly

• Knight
  • Weekend Warrior
Re: DL1608 DSP load
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 05:33:22 AM »
That's pretty interesting if it is accurate. I wonder if that was a deliberate ploy such that they could add additional features or whether they were going to use the hardware platform for a bigger device, i.e. a replacement of the 824 Live?

Either way we can hopefully influence them to improve the Efx and implement some real-time FFT for feedback identification.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 07:15:15 AM »
He is the product manager for Mackie, Ampeg, Crate and runs Loud Germany. Top of the food chain and former techie for them. The interview was done in Feb. of this year. It also makes sense from my evaluation of the DL hardware capability. 
When in doubt KISS

ijpengelly

• Knight
  • Weekend Warrior
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 02:28:52 PM »
WK, with your understanding of the DSP, how far could they push the DL? More elaborate effects / greater number of effects / more analysis tools and automation?

Or perhaps look at it from the other side and what are the limitations of the hardware?

Thanks!

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 03:14:17 PM »
All of the above. As I stated before the current DSP cycle is 1.5 milliseconds in which it has to do it's work. This is clock controlled and the amount of idle time is unknown to me. If this is considered 100% utilization and it's at 25% then there is plenty of reserve power.  It is generally accepted that 3 milliseconds is the limit before the human ear/brain notices any difference (time). This gives another 100% of processing time to the DSP. However I believe that the first limitation would be the code space. I have no way of knowing how close they are to their 32MB  limit at present and Mackie certainly won't release that info so it's a WAG (WildA--Guess).
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 11:53:45 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 04:39:00 AM »
Just ran into some info on the DSP's in the X32. They are 266Mhz that's slower than the DL's 400Mhz. Two DSP 21371 which makes sense since there are 32 channels in the X32. That should put DL capability into more of a perspective including more recording channels. Haven't taken my X32 apart to see the logic processor used. Probably wait for the rack for that.
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 04:16:46 AM »
The question of what could it do has been around for a while and this was not meant to be even remotely useful for someone trying to program it. Strictly for growth potential which of course depends solely on Mackie since they chose to be so secretive about this product. Got to do something to keep the blood flowing.
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 01:17:09 PM »
Just FYI my Phonic Summit mixer has 9 DSP's...

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 03:52:10 PM »
So does my XDM along with 2 other cpu's and a FPLA. It has a delay of 150 microseconds compared to the DL's 1500 microseconds and these are only 150 - 160Mhz units. So it's hard to tell performance from just specs.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 06:51:00 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 07:40:36 AM »
The X32 internals are not quite laid out yet but here an interesting article that unveils some of the mystery. The OS is a home brewed real time OS geared specifically to this product. This is more efficient since you can concentrate on the specific audio tasks instead of general purpose multitasking. They also state that the DSP's are at 90% utilization but they can add more. I think they can also upgrade  to higher performance units like Mackie did without incurring a major board layout. How's your German? 
http://www.xound.com/profi-statements-zum-x32/christian-stahl-und-thomas-zint-von-behringer.html
This should put to rest the speculation on what's running the X32. Still need more of the key chips inside besides the DSP's.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 06:58:03 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 12:33:25 AM »
Another piece of the puzzle came into view and it's now known what the brains behind the X32 is. It is a Feescale Mc253 a 400 Mhz ARM 9 based cpu with lots of capability along the lines of the AD Blackfin. So once  again ask yourself why the DL with more capable hardware is lagging behind?  Maybe it's time to give Graham Jordan "Circuit Whisperer" a call and have him  explain things. He's the digital design engineer at Mackie.
The specs for this CPU is here:
http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=i.MX253&fsrch=1&sr=4&pageNum=3
enjoy.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 05:32:56 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 02:24:51 AM »
Can I suggest that because overly optimistic hardware specs are the norm, that Mackie decided not to push any of the chips they picked.  That sure leaves a lot of options to improve Master Fader with.  If they abandon MF, I want them to open it up to volunteer development.  On the other hand, if they keep improving it, they will have me as a friend for a very long time.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 07:33:22 AM »
Wynnd I not sure what you mean by overly optimistic specs they are what they are. The reason Mackie is not mentioning what the DL is made from is their paranoid concern that someone will copy them.  :lol: That's why I had to take mine apart to find out what they were using. I first tried to get that from Mackie without success. It's all about a companies attitude toward it's customers and in Mackie's case that's not pretty. Just read how they're currently treating D8B customers with a price tag once 10x the DL.
http://www.d8bforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=928&start=210
You'll never see them open up code.
When in doubt KISS

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 10:08:44 AM »
Wynnd I not sure what you mean by overly optimistic specs they are what they are. The reason Mackie is not mentioning what the DL is made from is their paranoid concern that someone will copy them.  :lol: That's why I had to take mine apart to find out what they were using. I first tried to get that from Mackie without success. It's all about a companies attitude toward it's customers and in Mackie's case that's not pretty. Just read how they're currently treating D8B customers with a price tag once 10x the DL.
http://www.d8bforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=928&start=210
You'll never see them open up code.
I followed that link WK, that's an hour I'll never get back lol!
I would hope (for my own sake) that the DL hardware has this redundancy of power built in to allow for new feature sets for a few years. I'm hoping it's deliberate rather than an "accidental" over speccing of the processors.
The time and money Mackie has invested in bringing the DL to manufacture, surely they would see major feature changes/updates as a way of keeping the DL current?
I'm not a tech like some of you guys, but isn't there more flexibility/longevity with current DL type components, modular architecture and the iPad interface, than there ever could be with a console like the D8B?
Having said that, this is a relatively cheap product for a digital mixer. Who would expect to get 10 years from it (or customer support for that matter) in any revision considering the current pace of technology?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 01:23:37 PM by robbocurry »
The older I get, the better I was!

abzurd

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 12:52:10 PM »
Yep, both points are valid. The ability to add "more stuff" is great, but being bound so tightly to Apple, the timeline for future development and overall viability is an unknown.

Hardware wise, we've already seen a new connector, the "mini" and the "air". In software we've seen IOS7 cause problems. Every time Apple makes a move Mackie is forced to drop what their doing and engineer a fix. This costs time and money that could otherwise be spent on development of the firmware, Masterfader and Myfader.

I still contend that the concept is the best blend of capability and simplicity. I just wish the connectivity and IOS bugs could be fixed. It's tough to know who to even point the finger at as you have multiple hardware and software vendors developing completely independently.

As for competition, there's really only 1 that's in the exact same space and it's not yet available (Behringer X18). I have a feeling the Behringer X18 isn't fully baked and is still several months away from release, which is good and bad. Good because Mackie has time to improve their product. Bad because if Behringer ends up making the ipad "dockable", the inclusion of multi-track recording capability at more less the same price point as the DL1608 is a pretty serious blow. In fact, everything else being equal, it would be hard to justify purchasing the Mackie at that point.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 12:59:27 PM by abzurd »