Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

DL1608 DSP load

(1/5) > >>

WK154:
According to a poster on Mackies Facebook site with all fx, eq, compressor, etc. processing in full use the DSP (400Mhz dual core Sharc) is utilizing about 25% of it's processing power. That should leave lots for a real-time FFT for setup etc.
"I just found an interview with Dimitri Metzeltin from Mackie's Loud Technologies Inc.. He said, if all DSP features, EQs, COMPs., REV., DELs are ON, only 25% of the DSP - power is used and there is enough power for big upgrates . HOPE IS RAISING !"
He also stated in the interview that fader groups are possible or at least high on the list for implementation.
My translation
bonedo: Aber die schon angekündigte Fadergruppierung wird auch für mehr als zwei Fader gleichzeitig möglich sein?
bonedo: Is it possible that the just announced fader grouping can handle more than two faders simultaneously?
Dimitri Metzeltin: Genau. Neben dem reinen Stereo-Pairing wird man auch Fadergruppen bilden können, und Mutegruppen natürlich genauso. Auch das steht ganz oben auf der Liste.
Dimitri Metzeltin: Exactly. Aside from the pure stereo pairing one can construct fader groups as well as mute groups. These are high on our list.
What you can't read German?
In case you can here's the interview.

http://www.bonedo.de/artikel/einzelansicht/mackie-dl1608-ein-blick-hinter-die-kulissen/2.html

ijpengelly:
That's pretty interesting if it is accurate. I wonder if that was a deliberate ploy such that they could add additional features or whether they were going to use the hardware platform for a bigger device, i.e. a replacement of the 824 Live?

Either way we can hopefully influence them to improve the Efx and implement some real-time FFT for feedback identification.

WK154:
He is the product manager for Mackie, Ampeg, Crate and runs Loud Germany. Top of the food chain and former techie for them. The interview was done in Feb. of this year. It also makes sense from my evaluation of the DL hardware capability. 

ijpengelly:
WK, with your understanding of the DSP, how far could they push the DL? More elaborate effects / greater number of effects / more analysis tools and automation?

Or perhaps look at it from the other side and what are the limitations of the hardware?

Thanks!

WK154:
All of the above. As I stated before the current DSP cycle is 1.5 milliseconds in which it has to do it's work. This is clock controlled and the amount of idle time is unknown to me. If this is considered 100% utilization and it's at 25% then there is plenty of reserve power.  It is generally accepted that 3 milliseconds is the limit before the human ear/brain notices any difference (time). This gives another 100% of processing time to the DSP. However I believe that the first limitation would be the code space. I have no way of knowing how close they are to their 32MB  limit at present and Mackie certainly won't release that info so it's a WAG (WildA--Guess).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version