Author Topic: DL1608 DSP load  (Read 11198 times)

Wynnd

• Master
Re: DL1608 DSP load
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2014, 02:23:47 PM »
There are a lot of complaints about only using the ipad, but I think I understand why it is the preferred tablet.  Apple is much more consistent with their products than any other OS.  Sure there are some changes, but compared to the amazing variety of tablets that run Android from various manufacturers, Apple is nearly a single point of light.  I've long thought that this was one of the problems Microsoft had.  Attempting to make a single OS to run on thousands of different types of hardware.  It's really amazing that they've managed as well as they did, but today, it seems that Windows runs better on Apple hardware than it generally runs on other manufacturers.

abzurd

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2014, 02:34:32 PM »
There are a lot of complaints about only using the ipad, but I think I understand why it is the preferred tablet.  Apple is much more consistent with their products than any other OS.  Sure there are some changes, but compared to the amazing variety of tablets that run Android from various manufacturers, Apple is nearly a single point of light.  I've long thought that this was one of the problems Microsoft had.  Attempting to make a single OS to run on thousands of different types of hardware.  It's really amazing that they've managed as well as they did, but today, it seems that Windows runs better on Apple hardware than it generally runs on other manufacturers.

I'm perfectly fine with the ipad concept... obviously as I own the DL1608. It doesn't come without obstacles though. Before the digital mixer revolution, manufacturers had complete control of the entire process. Analog doesn't have the bells and whistles, but it's also void of the baggage that comes with multiple 3rd parties and technologies all needing to play nice to make a reliable product. There are now so many points of possible failure along the way. Beyond the hardware and software of the mixer and ipad there's also router performance and wireless interference to contend with. This year at NAMM another batch of 2.4 Ghz wireless mics came out from Alesis and Behringer. I suspect in 5 yrs the 5 Ghz space will be equally as dodgy.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2014, 02:41:16 PM »
Very good points.  Maybe some of the higher priced manufacturers will build their own tablet.  NAWWW.  They'll take existing products off the shelf.  We're going to be looking at ipads for a very long time.  By the way, I don't have any of the problems listed.  ios 7 has been fine.  Now I don't use the ipad as a music source very often, so maybe I just haven't run into the white noise issue yet.  (And I don't use it for music during gig breaks.  Might try using air-play and my iphone, but most of the clubs we play in want the juke box running during breaks.)

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2014, 02:59:50 PM »
No white noise issues for me and I use the docked iPad for BGM every time the DL is used.
The older I get, the better I was!

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2014, 05:41:03 PM »
Back on topic I feel that Mackie is sitting in a Ferrari in the middle of the freeway out of gas. They're just about to get rear-ended by a bunch of other company cars. Unfortunately Mackie has a long history of outsourcing their software or not keeping their talent at home. The last casualty being Traction. So what's the point of producing a Ferrari if you can't afford the gas. By their own admission they are using 25% of the DL's resources so wouldn't it be nice if they just bumped that up to 50%.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 06:06:04 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2014, 05:49:37 PM »
Ferrari? Really? Lol.

abzurd

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2014, 06:04:41 PM »
Well a Ferrari engine in an El Camino body. A big engine is great, but they can't do anything about lack of inputs/outputs routing, hardware expansion options. If I needed those things though I would have looked elsewhere.

I'd like to see some of the processing that the StageScape M20d has. Specifically, multi-band compression is pretty sweet. I got audition that mixer and the processing DSP is top notch. It just had enough quirks and lack of auxes that I ultimately chose the Mackie.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2014, 08:21:21 PM »
Well a Ferrari engine in an El Camino body. A big engine is great, but they can't do anything about lack of inputs/outputs routing, hardware expansion options. If I needed those things though I would have looked elsewhere.
Agreed that there is a lack of I/O considering the engine capability but there is soooo much more that can be done with the existing I/O. Internally adding more effects, cleaning up their UI etc. They could also have made it compatible with their own MCU pro control interface via the 30 pin/N connector via USB or made a more compact version. There certainly was a lack of vision on where this mixer could go.
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2014, 09:04:58 PM »
Robbo to answer your previous question:
I'm not a tech like some of you guys, but isn't there more flexibility/longevity with current DL type components, modular architecture and the iPad interface, than there ever could be with a console like the D8B?
The D8 series is far more flexible than the DL will ever be. The reason is simple the D8 was based on a PC mobo and Mackies efforts would be centered around preamp's and A/D D/A converters and communication to other control surfaces and of course the software. The PC industry is  better at producing motherboards than other industries (lower cost). New products come on a weekly basis. Many mixers such as Midas, Digico, Avid etc. have proven the viability of this approach as have many other industries. The only reasons I can think of for not continuing that line is that their software talent left them or not enough sales volume. They are currently selling the V5.1 D8B software upgrade but can't deliver because of authorization issues. This would take a competent software engineer that knew the system all of a day to fix. None exist at Mackie willing to do the job.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 09:31:07 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS