Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

DL1608 DSP load

<< < (4/5) > >>

Wynnd:
There are a lot of complaints about only using the ipad, but I think I understand why it is the preferred tablet.  Apple is much more consistent with their products than any other OS.  Sure there are some changes, but compared to the amazing variety of tablets that run Android from various manufacturers, Apple is nearly a single point of light.  I've long thought that this was one of the problems Microsoft had.  Attempting to make a single OS to run on thousands of different types of hardware.  It's really amazing that they've managed as well as they did, but today, it seems that Windows runs better on Apple hardware than it generally runs on other manufacturers.

abzurd:

--- Quote from: Wynnd on February 06, 2014, 02:23:47 PM ---There are a lot of complaints about only using the ipad, but I think I understand why it is the preferred tablet.  Apple is much more consistent with their products than any other OS.  Sure there are some changes, but compared to the amazing variety of tablets that run Android from various manufacturers, Apple is nearly a single point of light.  I've long thought that this was one of the problems Microsoft had.  Attempting to make a single OS to run on thousands of different types of hardware.  It's really amazing that they've managed as well as they did, but today, it seems that Windows runs better on Apple hardware than it generally runs on other manufacturers.

--- End quote ---

I'm perfectly fine with the ipad concept... obviously as I own the DL1608. It doesn't come without obstacles though. Before the digital mixer revolution, manufacturers had complete control of the entire process. Analog doesn't have the bells and whistles, but it's also void of the baggage that comes with multiple 3rd parties and technologies all needing to play nice to make a reliable product. There are now so many points of possible failure along the way. Beyond the hardware and software of the mixer and ipad there's also router performance and wireless interference to contend with. This year at NAMM another batch of 2.4 Ghz wireless mics came out from Alesis and Behringer. I suspect in 5 yrs the 5 Ghz space will be equally as dodgy.

Wynnd:
Very good points.  Maybe some of the higher priced manufacturers will build their own tablet.  NAWWW.  They'll take existing products off the shelf.  We're going to be looking at ipads for a very long time.  By the way, I don't have any of the problems listed.  ios 7 has been fine.  Now I don't use the ipad as a music source very often, so maybe I just haven't run into the white noise issue yet.  (And I don't use it for music during gig breaks.  Might try using air-play and my iphone, but most of the clubs we play in want the juke box running during breaks.)

robbocurry:
No white noise issues for me and I use the docked iPad for BGM every time the DL is used.

WK154:
Back on topic I feel that Mackie is sitting in a Ferrari in the middle of the freeway out of gas. They're just about to get rear-ended by a bunch of other company cars. Unfortunately Mackie has a long history of outsourcing their software or not keeping their talent at home. The last casualty being Traction. So what's the point of producing a Ferrari if you can't afford the gas. By their own admission they are using 25% of the DL's resources so wouldn't it be nice if they just bumped that up to 50%.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version