Author Topic: A Little Late To the Party - Just Got An Airport Express And Need Help.  (Read 4759 times)

ChiroVette

• Padawan
Hey everyone! I am quite sure this topic(s) has been asked and answered about a million times, so can someone point me in the direction of the threads that can help me with:

1. Setting up the DL1608 with my new Airport Express?
2. How do I use it to play break music wirelessly?

Thanks and sorry for what is likely the millionth thread on this!  :police:

Wynnd

• Master
Re: A Little Late To the Party - Just Got An Airport Express And Need Help.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 01:12:05 PM »
Doesn't look like anyone has specifically addressed this issue.  Last night's show, I couldn't get any devices to connect using Wifi.  I also have an new airport express.  So I'm going to spend some time on this today.  (Second show tonight.)  It worked just fine during last week's show.  (Could see it last night but never quite hook up.)  I'm guessing the fact that I took it off dhcp duties might be part of the issue.  The other thing is I like a class C mask.  Most computers default to a class B mask and that might need to be changed.   People has talked about just using the defaults with a strong password.  (I use a passphrase.  Easier to remember and much harder to crack.)  I plan to hide it in the future.  My current plan it to fully reset the unit and then configure it again.  (I didn't have internet access when I originally set it up.  That might have been a mistake.  It's still located outside of internet access.) 

So DHCP, Class B mask, Passphrase.  If everything looks solid tonight, I'll stop broadcasting the Wifi name.  (NoInternetHere in my case.)   Will probably add some more stuff later today.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 01:18:17 PM »
One more thing.  The Airport Express defaults to both 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz.  I left mine set up that way so I could use my iphone 4S too.  (It doesn't do 5 Ghz)  Also, 2.4 Ghz has the longer range, but it also is much more likely to have competition for bandwidth.

ChiroVette

• Padawan
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 02:17:53 PM »
All right, I am just going to use my Netgear then today since I just got the Airport Express yesterday and I don't want to futz around with it for this afternoon's show if I am not sure what I am doing quite yet. I will save the Airport Express for the next show. Thanks.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 02:34:40 PM »
tested is always good.  And trouble doesn't always occur on the first night out.  Have a good gig.

fazmanicg

• Youngling
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 05:09:34 PM »
Doesn't look like anyone has specifically addressed this issue.  Last night's show, I couldn't get any devices to connect using Wifi.  I also have an new airport express.  So I'm going to spend some time on this today.  (Second show tonight.)  It worked just fine during last week's show.  (Could see it last night but never quite hook up.)  I'm guessing the fact that I took it off dhcp duties might be part of the issue.  The other thing is I like a class C mask.  Most computers default to a class B mask and that might need to be changed.   People has talked about just using the defaults with a strong password.  (I use a passphrase.  Easier to remember and much harder to crack.)  I plan to hide it in the future.  My current plan it to fully reset the unit and then configure it again.  (I didn't have internet access when I originally set it up.  That might have been a mistake.  It's still located outside of internet access.) 

So DHCP, Class B mask, Passphrase.  If everything looks solid tonight, I'll stop broadcasting the Wifi name.  (NoInternetHere in my case.)   Will probably add some more stuff later today.

Not meaning to steal this thread .. But I had the same issue last night.  Could not connect wirelessly. Using a Cisco EA4500 which has been rock solid.  It saw the DL1608, but when I selected it, it immediately came up disconnected. I set it up this morning at home, and it all works fine ..... I hope this isn't going to be a problem. Could iOS7 be causing some issues?   ......

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 11:56:30 PM »
Just spent about an hour reconfiguring my Airport Express.  Setup as DHCP with 10.0.1.1 as the static router address.  Mask as 255.255.0.0  DHCP available numbers 10.0.1.2 - 100 with a month default.   (It's very unlikely that I will ever run that far between gigs.)  Also set up the 5 Ghz as NoInternetHere G5 for a name.  Now I can connect and hold the connection anywhere in the bar with both my iphone 4S on 2.4 Ghz and my ipad at 5 Ghz and see every change on one immediately reflected on the other.  So with any luck, that will be the last time I need to change any of that.  Will put some configuration screen shots here tomorrow before upgrading the firmware on my router.  (Will also provide a track record if I need to fix it again.) 

Harpman

• Knight
  • “If music be the food of love, play on"
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 04:52:43 PM »
Wynn, Just used my Airport Express with iOS7 last Thursday and didn't have one disconnect. As far as the freq. questions, you will get better range using 2.4GHz but also more interference. I would recommend 5.0 and that's what I use.  Another reason to use 5.0 is if you also use cordless mic's which use the 2.4 GHz range as well. I don't know if your question regarding break music has been answered, but I use a mini to RCA y-cable (Monster sells them).  On the RCA side, I use a RCA female to 1/4" male adapter and plug into CH 15/16. I then use an AirPlay recognized app (i.e. iTunes or LouderLogic) to control the music from my remote iPad.  Once Mackie releases 2.0, you will be able to link CH 15/16 and control via one fader.
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment
"We Bring Good Music to Life"

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 03:48:41 AM »
The Wifi is working perfectly now.  It will connect up on either 2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz.  (Different names but both have been setup to work with the ipad.)  Don't know how to indicate preferences for one over another in ios.  (Been doing it on my Mac for years.  I have two different Wifi's at home.  The 5 Ghz has better throughput and is used for everything that can use it.  The 2.4 Ghz is used for everything else.)