Author Topic: Empty recordings  (Read 5312 times)

CyberHippy

• Padawan
  • Bass Bass Bass
Empty recordings
« on: September 30, 2013, 02:16:44 AM »
Well this sucks.

I recorded twice in the last 24 hours - both files came up empty.

Yesterday I ran a small stage at a festival all day with the DL, it worked great. I hit Record during a set I really liked. It acted normally, asked for the track name when I stopped & all seemed fine. I didn't listen to it last night because I was exhausted & had another show today.

I did today's show on a different mixer, but at the last minute the band asked me to record the show so I grabbed the DL, hooked it up, tested levels & listened in the headphones, and went ahead & recorded the whole show direct from the L/R outs. I watched the levels on the DL bounce around during the show, and saved at the end as normal.

I just got home and went directly to the computer, hooked the iPad up and went to Apps. The files are there, dated correctly, but both are 4k and when I drop them into Logic I'm told they are empty.

I checked the info on one of the files, it is a 24/48 stereo WAV file with the correct date/time stamp.

Luckily the band wasn't paying me to record, but it seriously sucks that we don't have a recording of the show (really hot jazz players).

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Wynnd

• Master
Re: Empty recordings
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 03:34:06 AM »
My question would be, did you have the LR master up?  If that was the whole way down, you got what you asked for.  Remember that the VU meter for the LR master is just what is coming to it.  You need the slider to be up near 0 db to get a good recording.  It might not be obvious when you're not using the mixer for FOH. (After making a mistake last night and figuring out what I did wrong this morning, User error will be the first place I'm going.)  I've had no problems making recordings yet.  I have used Cubase and gotten the same result as you, a recording of no sound.  (Did that several times.)  All ended up being my user error. 

If it wasn't user error, then what is it?  (At this point I don't have any other ideas.)

CyberHippy

• Padawan
  • Bass Bass Bass
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 02:48:41 PM »
Yes the LR was up, in the first case I was mixing the show so it was at -5. In the second it was at zero with level meter bouncing around the whole time on the LR channel.

I'll have to test it today while not doing a show, I'm a little scared that it might be iOS 7 related (these are the first two shows I've done since upgrading)

CyberHippy

• Padawan
  • Bass Bass Bass
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 03:39:29 PM »
Another point of detail Wynnd, the recordings were both 4k. If it had recorded, even with no audio content the size of the files would have been different - Saturday I recorded 15 minutes, yesterday it was a nearly 2 hour show.

I have a customer training session this morning, I use the DL for compression on my home tech setup so I'll hit record to test it (it'll only get my voice, but will be a good test to see if this issue is persistent)

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 03:38:08 AM »
Now I fully understand why you're baffled.  I'm baffled.  You're totally right that you should have expected a real recording.  2 hours should have been more than a GB.  I did notice that the recording stops without saving whenever you un-dock the ipad.  I'm assuming the ipad didn't go to sleep or hang. 

Tnelson494

• Padawan
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 02:01:06 PM »
I've had Voice recorder pro drop a few on me usually it's the first or last recording I do of the evening (band does 4 set's play music off IPAD in between set's so have to stop recording) it's only happened a couple times I just put it off to having a glitch in the IPAD or problem with me hitting record while it's still processing the out bound music (I stop the out bound music but using Rhapsody app there is no stop just pause button) 

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 11:18:27 PM »
I have a customer training session this morning, I use the DL for compression on my home tech setup so I'll hit record to test it (it'll only get my voice, but will be a good test to see if this issue is persistent)
Well? Is it a problem with iOS7 or between the seat and the faders? CyberHippy you promised not to shut up so how about letting us know the outcome of your test!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 03:02:34 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

AbbaAgain

• Pint #1
  • Padawan
    • Abba Again
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 04:27:32 AM »
Just a question, after you installed iOS 7, and opened master fader app, it should have promted you to select access you (ipad) mic. Did you hit yes or no. If you hit no this may be the reason for it not recording. I'd done a bot of fishing around and this has been a problem for some one else who installed iOS 7 but then hit no on the mic option .

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 01:53:24 PM »
Just a note.  Recorded three sets last night no problems.  I do have ios 7 and Master Fader has permission to access my microphone in the privacy settings.  Hope you've found your issue.

Timmy

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2013, 01:55:18 PM »
I have recorded 12 1 hour sets since the iOS7 update, zero issues.... Hope you get it worked out!

abzurd

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 05:09:08 PM »
I have recorded about 6 hours with IOS 7. A couple things though:

1 - The mains fader position is irrelevant. I record on the mains bus but run FOH off of AUX 6. This way I can record in stereo and still run a mono PA. I can also adjust the mix to optimize the recording this way. Last week I had the LR fader down all the way and the recording was fine.

2 - A few times I've forgotten to turn off the recorder when disconnecting the ipad and shutting down the mixer. It still keeps the recordings, however last week the file was corrupt and wouldn't play. I found some WAV file fixer on the internet and it repaired the file. I'm just throwing that out there, but not as a solution to your problem. If your file is truly only 4K then you didn't get anything. Mine was over a gig, but wouldn't load into a player or Audacity.

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 05:23:56 PM »
I have said this before and I'll say it again. Don't use the built in recorder. Use another app. Garage band, tascam PCM, Auria. I have never had problems with them. It is very easy to monitor recoding levels and you can playback right from the iPad. This way you can do a test recording and know it's there. I have no sympathy for anyone who is using the built in app. You are running blind. Either use something else or keep risking this issue that has been brought up several times. 

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 06:16:58 PM »
I've used the built in recorder with no problems but Tascam PCM Recorder or Garage Band (or any of the others) let you play the recording back directly from the iPad. A minor disadvantage is the record button on MF doesn't start them recording of course.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2013, 08:37:33 AM »
Dunno if the OP ever got his working but I posted a FAQ on this subject here:
http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=503.0