Author Topic: recording volume/playback very low  (Read 16026 times)

Harpman

• Knight
  • “If music be the food of love, play on"
    • Stefani Entertainment
Re: recording volume/playback very low
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2014, 04:20:27 PM »
Wk I was thinking about making a similar post. If you can get all your levels set to a good gain, mix your channels as close to zero db as possible, and keep you mains also turned up you will get a decent recording. Problem is, especially in a live situation, you will have to lower your amps. They would be getting a good level as well. And you do risk the issue of driving some channels to hard. Some would think you might be driving you output gains to high but the dl doesn't have that high of an output to begin with.

In simpler terms, get you board running as high as it can, then use the amps to control the level.

Keep in mind like wk said. What you put in you get out. If you lower the master because it's too loud you are really cutting into the recording mix volume. A 10db reduction, which is not much on a fader, will cut the recording volume in half. If you need to turn down, and you are recording, use the amps/powered speaker level.

I agree totally with what your saying JL, but you will get some old school sound guys that have been taught to max out their power amps.  I've fought this with them for years!!   My solution is very similar to yours and Bill's:

1. Peak the source (i.e. inputs). As close to unity gain (0) as you can
2. Try to also set the channel faders as close to unity gain as you can (i.e. within -5db)
3. Set the master fader as close to unity gain as possible (also within -5db)
4. Adjust the power amps gains to appropriate house level.

The only issues I deal with is when you have instrument amplification on stage (i.e. guitar amp).  I tend to lower the channel fader to keep the for guitar for example from being too overwhelming.  It's almost impossible to get a guitarist or bassist to turn down their amps on stage ;). That's one of the main reasons I've gone for the separate mix for recording and not recording the main mix.
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment
"We Bring Good Music to Life"

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2014, 05:18:24 PM »
Gio seperate mix or multitrack recording is always better. You can have the loud guitar amp problem with any live sound gig recording the mains. No matter what gear you use.  That's not the point here. The point is how to bring the level of recoding volume up with the dl1608.

Harpman

• Knight
  • “If music be the food of love, play on"
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2014, 09:00:49 PM »
JL, I understand the point of the thread.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment
"We Bring Good Music to Life"

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2014, 07:34:35 PM »
I've been away for a few days. WK, I wasn't chastising Mackie, quite the opposite. With 24bit headroom you can still achieve decent recordings even if source levels are low (and what could Mackie do except provide a digital gain control for the overall recording level) their method keeps things simple and the MF recording function is what it is, for many things works just fine.