Author Topic: problem - Pink / white noise from ipad channel  (Read 38436 times)

abzurd

problem - Pink / white noise from ipad channel
« on: October 20, 2013, 06:09:05 PM »
I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue. I'll be playing mp3s with with one of 2 programs and suddenly the music is replaced with white or pink noise at full signal from the ipad channel. This is bad news and it's happened multiple times at gigs, including 2 weddings. Here's what I know:

1 - It only occurs if I'm actively using the Ipad while music is playing. In these instances I was reordering a playlist or searching for a song. This has happened in 2 applications

2 - It has happened with 2 applications, mywedding DJ and the the apple music player.

3 - It's only happened when the ipad is docked.

4 - I want to say that this has only happened since installing IOS7. My guess would be it's a bug related to the new IOS.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: problem - Pink / white noise from ipad channel
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 06:43:13 PM »
First one question. Are you switching apps when doing playlist arrangements? Playing background on music player and then switching to Mywedding DJ app for example.
When in doubt KISS

abzurd

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 06:59:16 PM »
It's happened several ways

- Just playing wedding DJ
- Just playing internal player
- searching for a song with internal player while weddingdj app is playing

Last night I just had the dj app up and was ordering the playlist within the app so the "next up song" was something else and boom it went to the hiss from hell.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 07:21:30 PM »
OK. This rang a bell at first "1 - It only occurs if I'm actively using the Ipad while music is playing." but now your saying that it happens even if your doing nothing other than playing music with either app. Switching audio apps will initialize the audio, but this is not the case. This however is pointing at the new multitasking and audio changes implemented in iOS7. I guess the AudioBus Correction Studio 6 Digital guys who are much closer to this than I am had their reasons for not recommending iOS7 until it or the apps get fixed. I would look for an audio app that is iOS7 qualified. What surprises me is that their own music player has the problem.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 07:03:50 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

ijpengelly

• Knight
  • Weekend Warrior
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 07:26:41 PM »
Is it very repeatable? Could you get it to reoccur in a controlled environment and record your actions? Just thinking it would be very powerful for using to get something sorted asap.

abzurd

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 07:27:38 PM »
The fact their own player has the problem is what has me thinking it's Mackie. They've not released new software since IOS7 came out. I was kind of hoping others had experienced the same issue.

That reminds me too that myfader stopped working when I installed IOS7. A few days ago I reinstalled and intended on trying it last night but forgot. It's not practicle to play around between gigs due to how I store the trailer in the garage. I ought to reinstall the masterfader app. Maybe that would help.

Lastly, another gotcha is on two occasions now the ipad hasn't recognized the mixer. It won't charge and actually says it's not compatible. I reboot the ipad and all is good again. I can't remember if this was post IOS7 both times or not. FWIW, it's an Ipad 3 so shouldn't be any issues. I also remote mix with an original Ipad.

abzurd

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 07:30:40 PM »
Is it very repeatable? Could you get it to reoccur in a controlled environment and record your actions? Just thinking it would be very powerful for using to get something sorted asap.

It's repeatable in the sense that if I play around with the ipad while docked and music is playing it will eventually do it. Except for the fact it's never done it while not being used (just playing music on it's own) there is no pattern that guarantees it will or won't malfunction. Last night it did it after I'd moved about 10 of 12 songs up the playlist. The first 9 songs were moved with no issue then it lost the audio and started hissing.

ijpengelly

• Knight
  • Weekend Warrior
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 09:27:30 PM »
Not sure it can be the Mackie, since I am pretty sure it receives an analogue signal from the iPad, so couldn't make the white noise or if it did it could happen anytime. Someone do please correct me if I am wrong.

abzurd

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 09:31:56 PM »
Not sure it can be the Mackie, since I am pretty sure it receives an analogue signal from the iPad, so couldn't make the white noise or if it did it could happen anytime. Someone do please correct me if I am wrong.

Maybe, but I've farted around on the ipad on the couch way more than I've multi-tasked while docked and I've never had the issue then. It's only when docked and, since installing IOS7, it's happened at nearly every show at least once.

Also, it doesn't have to be strictly an audio bug. The masterfader app could be wigging out.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 01:16:41 AM »
Not sure it can be the Mackie, since I am pretty sure it receives an analogue signal from the iPad,
Nope, it's digital.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 01:19:27 AM »
Consider yourself corrected only USB audio out of and into DL 30pin connector.

The un-docked iPad clearly cannot pass audio to the DL which leaves the iPad program or iOS7 as the suspect. I haven't upgraded to iOS7 for just that reason. Another program I use doesn't work hence v6.1 does just fine for me til fixes are issued. My advise is to stay at 6.x until iOS7 or the apps get fixed.
When in doubt KISS

ijpengelly

• Knight
  • Weekend Warrior
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 05:30:19 AM »
It would appear according to this that the 30pin connector does have line level audio out, even if the DL doesn't use it, which is what the accessories (speaker pods) must use:

http://pinouts.ru/PortableDevices/ipod_pinout.shtml

Seems overly complicated to use the USB audio, especially when it is being used for the control interface as well. Oh well, someone else's design decision.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 05:45:46 AM »
The DL doesn't have pins 3,4 or 27,28 depending on who's numbering scheme you want to use. The iPad may output analog depending on the app but the DL is deaf.
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 11:49:45 AM »
Seems overly complicated to use the USB audio, especially when it is being used for the control interface as well. Oh well, someone else's design decision.
Actually to use the analog would require the Dl1608 to have another A/D converter - plus the quality of the USB sound is better. It is also "free" as the USB circuitry is already needed anyways.

Nottoodeaf

• Padawan
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 03:55:36 PM »
You can eliminate iOS7 as the problem.  I have had this happen on two or three occasions and I have yet to update to iOS7.  Unfortunately, I can't recall what was going on at  the time, so can't help with the troubleshooting.  Interestingly, this last weekend, while docked and playing music, the iPad strip meters were absent.  Stopped the music player, undocked and redocked and all was good.  Only time that has ever happened.
Does that have to be there?  Not anymore!