Author Topic: problem - Pink / white noise from ipad channel  (Read 38466 times)

abzurd

Re: problem - Pink / white noise from ipad channel
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 04:21:54 PM »
You can eliminate iOS7 as the problem.  I have had this happen on two or three occasions and I have yet to update to iOS7.  Unfortunately, I can't recall what was going on at  the time, so can't help with the troubleshooting.  Interestingly, this last weekend, while docked and playing music, the iPad strip meters were absent.  Stopped the music player, undocked and redocked and all was good.  Only time that has ever happened.

Thanks for the input. It doesn't solve the problem, but it also says it's likely not something specific to my ipad/mixer.

ijpengelly

• Knight
  • Weekend Warrior
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2013, 05:29:53 AM »
The DL doesn't have pins 3,4 or 27,28 depending on who's numbering scheme you want to use. The iPad may output analog depending on the app but the DL is deaf.

:D

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2013, 05:39:57 PM »
The fact their own player has the problem is what has me thinking it's Mackie. They've not released new software since IOS7 came out. I was kind of hoping others had experienced the same issue.

That reminds me too that myfader stopped working when I installed IOS7. A few days ago I reinstalled and intended on trying it last night but forgot. It's not practicle to play around between gigs due to how I store the trailer in the garage. I ought to reinstall the masterfader app. Maybe that would help.

Lastly, another gotcha is on two occasions now the ipad hasn't recognized the mixer. It won't charge and actually says it's not compatible. I reboot the ipad and all is good again. I can't remember if this was post IOS7 both times or not. FWIW, it's an Ipad 3 so shouldn't be any issues. I also remote mix with an original Ipad.

Based on what has been posted it is pointing to the DL code and loss off sync as the problem. I haven't used the iPad to play any length of music so I have not run into this problem on an iPad 3. 3-5 songs at best always fully charged on a 1meter cable. iOS 7 may have exacerbated the issue that's been there all along.
When in doubt KISS

abzurd

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2013, 05:43:14 PM »
So if I delete and re-install master fader am I going to lose all the presets I've saved? I'm guessing yes and it will only remember the current show that's in the cache on the mixer and load it back in when it syncs with the new install.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2013, 07:23:55 PM »
Why go thru all that effort since it may not even be a bad install because other people have had similar issues. There is a validity check during an install. The DL is known for loosing sync but in the case of iPad music it will be noticeable. Bad code as far as I'm concerned that when you loose sync you don't properly handle the audio stream. Use 2 DL channels if need be and hook the iPad thru the earphone jack. Not the highest quality but it won't scream at you till it's fixed. You might see what the charge level is at the time of failure.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 07:27:41 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

abzurd

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2013, 07:26:25 PM »
Just curious because I've also had the ipad not recognized by the mixer from time to time. If I lose nothing then there's no reason not to do it. that's why I was asking. If I lose settings I'll probably not do it right now.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2013, 07:30:33 PM »
Need to figure out how to trap the saved shows.  Doesn't backing up to your computer save that stuff during a reinstall?  (Not that testing it would be something I'd want to do right now.)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2013, 07:34:18 PM »
"It's repeatable in the sense that if I play around with the ipad while docked and music is playing it will eventually do it. Except for the fact it's never done it while not being used (just playing music on it's own)"
Intermittent or a bad connection or possibly misalignment could explain what your encountering especially if you are working with the iPad. You might try a short cable to see if that changes things.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 04:32:17 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

tgath

• Initiate
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2013, 07:56:02 PM »
I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue. I'll be playing mp3s with with one of 2 programs and suddenly the music is replaced with white or pink noise at full signal from the ipad channel. This is bad news and it's happened multiple times at gigs, including 2 weddings. Here's what I know:

1 - It only occurs if I'm actively using the Ipad while music is playing. In these instances I was reordering a playlist or searching for a song. This has happened in 2 applications

2 - It has happened with 2 applications, mywedding DJ and the the apple music player.

3 - It's only happened when the ipad is docked.

4 - I want to say that this has only happened since installing IOS7. My guess would be it's a bug related to the new IOS.

I am having the exact problem just the way that you describe it. When it happens people are diving for cover! I am searching the forums and Facebook for a solution but to no avail. Until I find a fix I CANT use the iPad for music playback at all. I will use my iphone in airplane mode in channels 15 and 16 instead. What a pain. 

abzurd

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2013, 06:41:59 AM »
It happened again tonight....at a wedding. It was during a break and I was moving a song up in the cue on a playlist. As soon as I closed Masterfader the song started up again and sounded fine. It's pretty stupid, but the answer is going to be that I can't run the masterfader app on the mixer itself....only the wireless ipad I'm mixing on remotely, at least for weddings and other important gigs where I'll be manipulating playlists. For bar gigs I don't cater to requests during breaks. I hit play and that's that.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2013, 05:53:09 AM »
I'm more convinced than ever that your problem is a connector issue. Do you have an extension cable or maybe another iPad that you can try and just wiggle the connection no program changes and see if you can make it fail. If it's not a hardware issue then Mackie needs to fix it ASAP that's a major bug. I need to load a bunch more songs to evaluate this.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 05:59:45 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

abzurd

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2013, 12:04:19 PM »
I'm more convinced than ever that your problem is a connector issue. Do you have an extension cable or maybe another iPad that you can try and just wiggle the connection no program changes and see if you can make it fail. If it's not a hardware issue then Mackie needs to fix it ASAP that's a major bug. I need to load a bunch more songs to evaluate this.

I do have another ipad and was going to experiment tonight. In fact that's got me thinking. At one point I left the tray out because I have an original ipad and wanted the ability to dock both ipads. I'm pretty sure I put the tray in after a few shows once I got the Ipad3, but I'm not 100% sure. If not then it is looser in there than it would normally be. I'll check tonight. Still, when it loses connection it's supposed to just stop playing the audio, not spray noise at 100+ dB.

abzurd

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2013, 12:09:12 AM »
OK, so after over 11 minutes of trying I was able to reproduce the issue (see video link at the bottom). It was interesting though as it presented like it did last Saturday where the sound dropped dramatically at first and was distorted followed by the pink noise. For the first time though the noise was only momentary, then things went quiet again. When I went back to MasterFader the sound comes back after the sync occurs. On Saturday I had to quit MasterFader entirely to get the noise to stop.

Oh, also, it's definitely not a connection issue. The ipad docks solidly. I was pulling on ipad and moving the entire mixer around and it was fine.

Anyway, here's the video:

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2013, 12:57:14 AM »
OK it survived the shake test and it's like a chameleon with changing reactions. Definitely time to tell Mackie to fix this in V2. Drop tech support a line with a link to the video. Good that you recorded it in action, not much they can argue about. They also need a disconnect indicator in red (their star wheel) when it drops sync according to their test.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 01:19:29 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

tgath

• Initiate
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2013, 01:33:56 AM »
Cudos for your braveness. I chickened out and used my phone patched into channel 15 and 16. The good news is that then I could stream Pandora 1 on my LTE unlimited data network for our band breaks.