Author Topic: problem - Pink / white noise from ipad channel  (Read 38485 times)

abzurd

Re: problem - Pink / white noise from ipad channel
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2014, 02:11:23 PM »
Yep. I'm getting increasingly frustrated as well as I have to use my original ipad to avoid the chance of this happening. The problem there is the original ipad has a habit of unsyncing. Also more and more apps aren't compatible with IOS5.

Harpman

• Knight
  • “If music be the food of love, play on"
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2014, 04:44:59 PM »
You can eliminate iOS7 as the problem.  I have had this happen on two or three occasions and I have yet to update to iOS7.  Unfortunately, I can't recall what was going on at  the time, so can't help with the troubleshooting.  Interestingly, this last weekend, while docked and playing music, the iPad strip meters were absent.  Stopped the music player, undocked and redocked and all was good.  Only time that has ever happened.

Considering that it happens in prior versions of iOS leads me to believe its a memory leak issue in MF 2.0.  I say this because I never had this issue with the prior version of MF.  I will have to install some kind of resource monitor on the iPad to see what is going on at the time this happens.  It's happened to me quite a few times and I can fix it by closing down all the running apps and restart MF.

Sorry, just saw the post by RR.  So Mackie know about it...I guess we have a workaround.  Actually, I've stopped using the iPad channel and use 15/16 linked and use my Airport Express (Airplay).  No issues there :).
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 04:49:04 PM by Harpman »
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment
"We Bring Good Music to Life"

abzurd

« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2014, 04:59:58 PM »
You can eliminate iOS7 as the problem.  I have had this happen on two or three occasions and I have yet to update to iOS7.  Unfortunately, I can't recall what was going on at  the time, so can't help with the troubleshooting.  Interestingly, this last weekend, while docked and playing music, the iPad strip meters were absent.  Stopped the music player, undocked and redocked and all was good.  Only time that has ever happened.

Considering that it happens in prior versions of iOS leads me to believe its a memory leak issue in MF 2.0.  I say this because I never had this issue with the prior version of MF.  I will have to install some kind of resource monitor on the iPad to see what is going on at the time this happens.  It's happened to me quite a few times and I can fix it by closing down all the running apps and restart MF.

Sorry, just saw the post by RR.  So Mackie know about it...I guess we have a workaround.  Actually, I've stopped using the iPad channel and use 15/16 linked and use my Airport Express (Airplay).  No issues there :) .

I've never had it happen with the combination of IOS 5 and my original ipad. I realize that doesn't mean it won't at some point, but the fact I can make it happen with IOS7 and an Ipad 3 fairly easily, tells me that there is some catalyst in IOS7. I've read about other audio issues with IOS7 and various other audio hardware. Some manufacturers even put out statements not to update to IOS7.

When it does happen it's not consistent in what makes it stop. Sometimes simply exiting the music app does it. Other times MF has to be closed and restarted.

abzurd

« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2014, 05:09:51 PM »

Here's the article I remember (below) Link to article - HERE

Some parts of the audiophile community are particularly grumpy about the new iOS build, which has rejigged its sound system so that applications can stream music and sound to each other for the first time. This potentially renders app-to-app audio tools, such as Jack and Audiobus, redundant: Audiobus's makers have warned fans to stay away from iOS 7, claiming the updated OS has sketchy sound output.
[/size]"If you rely on music apps, please don't update yet," Audiobus's developers said in a statement. "iOS 7 audio is not ready. There are a wide variety of bugs that are causing performance problems, crashes and other problems in a large number of music apps.
[/size]"This may change in the future, but until we see a few point releases for the OS, I strongly urge you to stick with iOS 6."
[/size]But Native Instruments, a maker of software synthesisers, has also warned users should expect "random disconnections, iOS device restarts, distortion and chopped audio" when using its mixer hardware with Apple devices. It didn't mention that some musicians may actually find some of these artefacts attractive, judging by what the kids are listening to these days.

Here's some other random stuff.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5567366

https://discussions.apple.com/message/23059005#23059005

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130918174800AAF7bY2

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/20247053/ios-7-avaudioplayer-noise-at-the-end-of-audio-playback

Harpman

• Knight
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #79 on: January 14, 2014, 05:14:26 PM »

Sorry, just saw the post by RR.  So Mackie know about it...I guess we have a workaround.  Actually, I've stopped using the iPad channel and use 15/16 linked and use my Airport Express (Airplay).  No issues there :) .

I've never had it happen with the combination of IOS 5 and my original ipad. I realize that doesn't mean it won't at some point, but the fact I can make it happen with IOS7 and an Ipad 3 fairly easily, tells me that there is some catalyst in IOS7. I've read about other audio issues with IOS7 and various other audio hardware. Some manufacturers even put out statements not to update to IOS7.

When it does happen it's not consistent in what makes it stop. Sometimes simply exiting the music app does it. Other times MF has to be closed and restarted.

Being in the IT business for 40+ years, I've seen just about everything.  The unfortunate part is that companies like Apple and Microsoft (whom I'm a partner with), expect other companies to insure their products (i.e. apps and drivers) to work with their OS.  You use to have a choice on whether you wanted to go the "bleeding edge" or not.  I'm a "technology junkie", but it's gone way too far.  So now the finger pointing starts on who's issue it is.  Apple and MS will say it's not their issue and the software developers will say it's the OS manufacturers while you, I and the rest of the world have to suffer.  Pretty sad, huh?
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

Harpman

• Knight
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #80 on: January 14, 2014, 05:19:46 PM »

Here's the article I remember (below) Link to article - HERE

Some parts of the audiophile community are particularly grumpy about the new iOS build, which has rejigged its sound system so that applications can stream music and sound to each other for the first time. This potentially renders app-to-app audio tools, such as Jack and Audiobus, redundant: Audiobus's makers have warned fans to stay away from iOS 7, claiming the updated OS has sketchy sound output.
[/size]"If you rely on music apps, please don't update yet," Audiobus's developers said in a statement. "iOS 7 audio is not ready. There are a wide variety of bugs that are causing performance problems, crashes and other problems in a large number of music apps.
[/size]"This may change in the future, but until we see a few point releases for the OS, I strongly urge you to stick with iOS 6."
[/size]But Native Instruments, a maker of software synthesisers, has also warned users should expect "random disconnections, iOS device restarts, distortion and chopped audio" when using its mixer hardware with Apple devices. It didn't mention that some musicians may actually find some of these artefacts attractive, judging by what the kids are listening to these days.

Here's some other random stuff.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5567366

https://discussions.apple.com/message/23059005#23059005

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130918174800AAF7bY2

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/20247053/ios-7-avaudioplayer-noise-at-the-end-of-audio-playback

I will guarantee you this. Neither MS or Apple are going to wait to release an OS.  Apple has gotten worse over the years.  So sales and marketing driven that they don't care if it's bug free or not.  Apple is their own entity, but in the MS world, PC manufactures are forced into it.  Try buying a consumer laptop or desktop without Windows 8.  Or even better, being able to downgrade to Windows 7.  No supporting drivers from the PC manufacturers  :(.  I've run software development teams over the years, so I'm also not going to blame the OS mfrs 100%.  Some application development companies may be taking the shortcut approach and just modifying their code to get it to work vs rewriting their code (too much $$).  Both Apple and MS provide a SDK.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 05:24:54 PM by Harpman »
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #81 on: January 14, 2014, 09:23:03 PM »
Harpman is right on it. :thu: In this case Apple may be more at fault than is made public. Third party developers have raised the red flag on them as have users but unfortunately they're at the mercy of Apple to fix it. AudioBus is a special case since the Borg is trying to assimilate them (remember the compression wars with M$). A page out of M$ playbook. This effort started with iOS7. From Apples past track record on Blue Tooth where some of the devices stopped functioning with I think iOS5 the user where told to go get a compatible one. Yup go buy a new Beamer because Apples Blue Tooth wouldn't work with your previously functioning devices! Mackie may unfortunately be in a situation like this and the only way to resolve it is to find a workaround if possible. They may however not have the talent to accomplish this in house. If it's not fixed by NAMM 2014 it will cost them dearly as their competitors will blow their doors off in other areas as well and certainly use this against them.
When in doubt KISS

abzurd

« Reply #82 on: January 14, 2014, 09:32:30 PM »
The strange thing is it doesn't appear to be making much of a problem for Mackie. Short of this thread and a Facebook comment or two, there's not big outcry over what I see as some serious connectivity and usability issues.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #83 on: January 15, 2014, 12:12:49 AM »
The strange thing is it doesn't appear to be making much of a problem for Mackie. Short of this thread and a Facebook comment or two, there's not big outcry over what I see as some serious connectivity and usability issues.
That's all they have other than their website. The Facebook comments and there are many more that are sooh far down the list and I think Mackie is hoping these people will go away. Many probably have by dumping their DL. Time will tell and I'm sure their watching the bottom line. We are however talking about service and a bad reputation is hard to overcome once you have it just ask Behringer.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 08:34:19 PM by RoadRanger »
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2014, 12:58:03 AM »
One of the things not documented with the various white noise and disconnect problems is the setups on the iPad. I scanned Apples SDK for a audio session requirement (player) and it's a veritable mine field. Here are clear issues that may reduce or even eliminate the problem. For those with cellular shut everything relating to receiving calls off. Those with WiFi here's a list of things to turn off. First Siri, no need for interruptions that can stop an audio stream. Bluetooth needs to be off. All notification stuff needs to be turned off. Sound check is not ready for prime time and needs to be off. All audio playback would be routed through this wonder that's supposed to end the loudness wars  ;D. If you dock the unit enable Airplane mode. In my case if you play background with the Music player then load AudioTools it will stop the audio but restarting music player will make both happy. So a sequence of steps can be problematic. This all relates to issues with what interrupts the audio stream. This is all Apple code and most likely is the source of the problem. If you hoping that either iOS 7.1 or MF 2.1 will fix this good luck. One word of caution when you make changes write down what you changed it may help isolate the issue. All these settings can be found in Setup. My iPad just proved that it's a computer and audio stopped working but a lot of other things worked just fine, the old reboot routine fixed that problem. I recommend reboot as a daily regiment or at least before a gig. Don't change a few things and post the next day that it's fixed we all know better. :) Give it a week but feedback would be nice.

UPDATE: I spoke with Mackie's tech support Anthony and he stated that the white noise / sync problem has not been fixed in V2.1. The above procedures have worked for me and that's with a 1 meter extension cable. I recommend that all iOS optimizations as listed in the manual be done along with the other ones I listed. iOS v7.1 may have a surprise for us and the problem may magically disappear. :)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 06:12:07 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2014, 01:00:12 AM »
Well after 48+ hrs the iPad is back at it. Dropped programs that do audio streaming. Too bad it was looking promising maybe iOS 7.1 but I'm not holding my breath. :( Nothing was touched on the DL. 100% iPad issues. The battery charge also dropped over the 48+ hrs to 91% and may still have a part in this
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 01:03:27 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #86 on: February 22, 2014, 01:21:10 AM »
I've never had the ipad charge drop while docked.  Matter of fact, if a night starts with the ipad at 70%, it will be fully charged by the end of the gig.  We might want to look at this as at least a contributing factor.  Might also be a good idea to see what serial numbers are affected.  In case it's a manufacturing run.  (Not likely but hey, we're already grasping at straws.)   I still haven't ever experienced this, but I only play music during rehearsal when examining a piece we're working on.  (Something I do directly out of the ipad when rehearsing personally.)

abzurd

« Reply #87 on: February 22, 2014, 01:43:59 PM »
Last night my ipad did the whole "noise thing" while in MasterFader. That's new. For bar shows I just turn on the break music when I get the PA up and running an just let it play all night, fading it in an out as needed.  So right before the show I'm making some last minute adjustments and touch the mains EQ icon on the ipad. That was it..... the ipad went into full white noise mode.

I turned off the music app and decided I'll just connect music through a channel. I could see output on the ipad but nothing through the speakers. So I rebooted MasterFader. Still nothing. Rebooted the mixer. Plugged the ipad in and super, the mixer didn't recognize the ipad. It wouldn't charge it nor work with MasterFader. I ended up using the ipad 1 for the show. 1/2 way through the show the docked ipad 1, which I'd seen lose connection a few times, just dropped out entirely and never came back. That's new. So great, even though it will play docked music fine, I had to undock it and redock to get the mixer to recognize it.

The short story is I'm just about done with this thing. Fantastic concept, but just full of bugs.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #88 on: February 22, 2014, 03:35:08 PM »
It just occured to me that maybe telling the iPad not to let Master Fader access the microphone might help this issue?

"Settings", "Privacy", "Microphone", "Master Fader" = off .
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 03:41:20 PM by RoadRanger »

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #89 on: February 22, 2014, 03:57:22 PM »
I can't see how that would help, but if I recall correctly, you need to allow access to the microphone to record on the mixer.  On the other hand, that's not something everyone needs all the time.  I'd say give it a shot.  It might open up a little more processing power.  Has anyone noticed if this issue is more likely to occur on particular models of ipad?