Author Topic: Master Fader V2 countdown  (Read 13144 times)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: Master Fader V2 countdown
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2013, 08:18:57 AM »
Terms like DL killer isn't very useful.  Since when is a "new" product from anyone a killer of a good functional product you already own?  As far as a race to version 2 of anything.  I've been watching Apple/Microsoft doing that since 1984.  They both had their own approach and over the years I'd say that both did some serious good, but in very different ways.  MS had their first multi-tasking OS with Windows 95.  Apple had their first one with OS-X in 2002(?)  Yet you could do what you needed done with either one during all those years.  (Multi-tasking was a mainframe necessity but not a desktop necessity.  Now we have that on our cell phones.)   As far as Behringer goes, I hope for their serious improvement.  Pricewise they've been good, but inexpensive and cheaply made isn't good.  Mackie has had their times of getting close to cheaply made, but I'm hoping those days are gone.  I had a CFX-12 Mackie in the past.  Aux 1 went out and it didn't seem worth fixing.  I had bought a MixWiz about that time and it has been totally solid.  No hiccups, no problems whatsoever.  Thats quality and a great price and the direction I'd like to see all manufacturers go.  As far as a race goes, I only pay attention when I'm making a change and I don't see myself purchasing a new mixer now for at least 8 years.  I am keeping my eyes open for MFver2.  That we can all use if it's working well.  (And thanks for not putting it out before it's ready.  We've all seen too much software released that wasn't ready.)
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but at least get the facts right.
Aloha !
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2013, 04:47:11 PM »
So what facts don't I have right?  Mac Os 9 wasn't multi-tasking.  Windows 95 wasn't very good at multi-tasking but it did multi-task.  I'm not seeing it, so please enlighten me.  (Everyone needs that sometime.) 

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2013, 07:08:10 PM »
OK what happened to Xenix and OS 2 all before W95? While you we're watching I was living the OSx multi-crashing junk. Not until Steve "borrowed" FreeBsd did Apple have a sound foundation. As to the"killer" part at $749 with more features than the DL1608 what would you call it?
When in doubt KISS

ijpengelly

• Knight
  • Weekend Warrior
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2013, 09:14:28 AM »
But, its a bit like that giant asteroid in Armageddon, its got loads of potential to be a killer, but its not here yet and we don't know if it'll hit its target  ;D

It will be nice to have some choices, but mine is made.

Am looking forward to fiddling around with V2 when it arrives, I was at a gig on Saturday night and the only thing I thought would have really been useful would be quick access to effects pre-sets, as I use three effects during the gig and they swap regularly and I don't have time to go through the usual pre-set route.  Might have to add this to your list WK. Oh and a button that gives the lead guitarist an electric shock so he turns down LOL

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2013, 02:22:56 PM »
I didn't mention them because many don't know about alternate OSs.  I've run two machines on BeOS.  imagine attempting to run SetiAtHome, Play MP3s, downloading and installing software while surfing the web on a 400 Mhz Pentium II without having any music hiccups.  I had Windows 98 on the machine too and I could never have done that with Windows.  (Besides SetiAtHome only runs while the screen saver is running on Windows back then.  On BeOS it ran the processor at 100% while doing all that other stuff.)  Before Jobs came back to Apple, BeOS was being considered for OS-X.  It was faster, better at multi-tasking than anything of its day and might just still be better 12 years later.  Did I mention that BeOS was designed for a multi-processor box originally?  Would have been interesting to have seen where it would have gone if either Jobs didn't go back to Apple or Microsoft hadn't been so successful at preventing it from being installed along with Windows by the manufacturer.  That sits right up there with promised vaporware.   BeOS was the first OS to allow two running programs to be shoved together and operate as one on the fly.  They did that in 1996.   The second OS to do that was OS-X about 7 years later.  Don't think you can do it yet on Windows.  (I really don't know how practical this ability is.  It's interesting that it can be done.  That was literally taking a running video and slap it onto a geometric shape that's rotating.  Without any hangs or hiccups the video continues to play on the surface of the shape.  Pretty cool demonstration of great multi-tasking.)    Now onto Behringer.  Even if their as yet unavailable product is perfect when delivered, their reputation is enough to prevent me from considering it.  They've got a lot of product quality improvements that need to be tested by the public before I'm changing my thoughts.  (Note:  Subaru used to be considered crap cars.  They made the changes and are now considered a pretty good product.  That's some pretty big changes over a few decades.  Behringer might take just as long to change some minds.)   That said, I've seen some junk musical gear used quite well by the musician.  (Radio Shack keyboards come immediately to my mind.)  So the term "pro-gear" kind of irks me.  I remember keyboard players being expected to have $20K + of gear.  Personally never bought into that and have always said that if I owned a B3, it would never leave my house.  I must be tired.  I ramble a lot when I'm tired.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2013, 07:28:28 PM »
My problem was with "first M$ multitasking OS" . I didn't bring up such early multitasking Wendin Dos and others. Gates became concerned about Wendin Dos so in his usual mode hired the Jones brothers developers of WD. As to Behringer reputation is by a large part generated by people that never owned any. I have about 50+ and only one DOA, promptly replaced. That's a better record than Intel mobo's.
Surfs up got to go.
Aloha!
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2013, 08:10:18 PM »
Microsoft had a Multi-tasking OS before Windows 95?  OS2 I believe was an IBM product.  (That ran Windows 3.x and DOS programs in separate memory spaces.  Was quite amazing and stable.)  I was unaware of any prior Microsoft products that were truly Multi-tasking and sold for micro-computers.  (Don't you love that term?  Nobody uses it anymore.)  Windows 95 limped along multi-tasking.  98 was better but NT (probably mostly designed by IBM prior to their split up with Microsoft.) was getting pretty good and fairly stable for MS.  XP was quite stable and Win7 has proved to be very close in stability to Apple's OS-X.  (And a pretty good multi-tasker.)   I have owned 3 Behringer products.  2 had no problems.  Cable tester and a very small mixer.  Cable tester breaking isn't a serious problem.  The small mixer I gave to a friend for mixing his keyboards.  (It dying also wouldn't be a serious problem for me.  I've got some spares.)  The powered mixer dying is a total loss.  (As well as a very overstated power output.  800 watts my eye.  Much more like 200 watts.)  So, I'm not thinking that the Behringer reputation is totally unearned.  Like any product for the music industry, I'm all for them getting better.

AbbaAgain

• Pint #1
  • Padawan
    • Abba Again
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2013, 10:35:48 PM »
Mackie Facebook page...8 mins ago ' master fader v2 ' just around the corner and some advise before you download ( if you have installed iso7 ) '

AbbaAgain

• Pint #1
  • Padawan
    • Abba Again
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2013, 10:41:13 PM »
Sorry  I mean iOS 7 ( Mackie advises turn of automatic app updates in settings so as to avoid an unexpected update just before or during a gig )

Yorgaki1

• Padawan
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2013, 12:19:23 AM »
I can't wait for the new release I've been checking the forum everyday for the last few weeks since it was announced!!!

ijpengelly

• Knight
  • Weekend Warrior
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2013, 06:18:12 AM »
Yeh, I got an email about it saying its just around the corner. Very exciting, though I am going to have to find some time to play with it when it arrives, lots of gigs coming up.

abzurd

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2013, 04:37:49 PM »
Sorry  I mean iOS 7 ( Mackie advises turn of automatic app updates in settings so as to avoid an unexpected update just before or during a gig )

Very good advice, especially considering that they submit the app to Apple for review and probably don't have control over the date or time of release. Ideally it would come out on a Monday or Tuesday, after weekend gigs and church services. A Friday afternoon release could leave a lot of folks scrambling when they fire up their mixers at 8PM.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2013, 04:41:25 PM »
I checked and apparently my ios upgrade didn't change my app update settings.  (Always ask to update.  Or I might just have forgotten that I changed it.)

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2013, 10:42:22 PM »
Not sure how long 'just around the corner' will actually be. I suspect it will be a long corner.

I got caught with a firmware update at a gig yesterday. Fortunately the venue had wifi and I was able to update without any problem. But it could have been bad.

Cheers

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2013, 08:19:30 AM »
Were just gonna get reminders that V2 is around the corner on Facebook. Round two. Mackie's really starting to piss of their customers. That marketing or Facebook person would have been fired by now by me. What are they thinking????? >:( Oh yes Sweetwater cornered all of the first shipment of X32 racks. Get them while the supply lasts.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 08:32:29 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS