Author Topic: Happy, happy, happy!  (Read 4490 times)

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
Happy, happy, happy!
« on: October 25, 2013, 08:28:52 AM »
First off, thanks again RR for starting this forum:)
Initially this was a place for interested DL1608 owners to come and share useful tips and sound advice, regarding said desk.
Seems like it's turned into a soapbox for bashing big business - Mackie, Apple et al.
There hasn't been much posted here that has whetted my appetite of late, perhaps everyone has settled into using their desks and the most useful topics have been covered?
Life and work goes on for me and my DL is doing the job I want it to do.
I'm not really concerned about what new desk is just around the corner, nor am I concerned about Apple's stock price.
I definitely won't be taking any perverse pleasure in seeing any company, large or small, faltering or failing.
MF2.0 adds some useful features to the DL and when it's released I'm sure most people will benefit from the upgrade.
There will of course be the usual merchants of doom who will never be satisfied, even if their desk was free and had a beer dispenser built in.
My DL came with MF1.x and it was perfectly useable.
I tested it, albeit briefly, liked it and bought it.
Before I paid I didn't read anywhere that I was owed firmware updates and extra features.
So we're going to get MF2.0 at some stage - happy days - I'll be getting more than what I paid for. Surely that's good?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 08:31:32 AM by robbocurry »
The older I get, the better I was!

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
Re: Happy, happy, happy!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 08:51:44 AM »
+1  ;D

ijpengelly

• Knight
  • Weekend Warrior
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 12:06:48 PM »
+2  8)

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 04:37:04 PM »
Come on robbo! You know master fader 2.0 is just vaporware.

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 05:54:09 PM »
Come on robbo! You know master fader 2.0 is just vaporware.
If MF 2.x beta was out, would you still consider it vapourware? ;)
The older I get, the better I was!

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 06:18:47 PM »
+3  ;D

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 07:51:54 PM »
First off, thanks again RR for starting this forum:)
Initially this was a place for interested DL1608 owners to come and share useful tips and sound advice, regarding said desk.
Seems like it's turned into a soapbox for bashing big business - Mackie, Apple et al.
There hasn't been much posted here that has whetted my appetite of late, perhaps everyone has settled into using their desks and the most useful topics have been covered?
Life and work goes on for me and my DL is doing the job I want it to do.
I'm not really concerned about what new desk is just around the corner, nor am I concerned about Apple's stock price.
I definitely won't be taking any perverse pleasure in seeing any company, large or small, faltering or failing.
MF2.0 adds some useful features to the DL and when it's released I'm sure most people will benefit from the upgrade.
There will of course be the usual merchants of doom who will never be satisfied, even if their desk was free and had a beer dispenser built in.
My DL came with MF1.x and it was perfectly useable.
I tested it, albeit briefly, liked it and bought it.
Before I paid I didn't read anywhere that I was owed firmware updates and extra features.
So we're going to get MF2.0 at some stage - happy days - I'll be getting more than what I paid for. Surely that's good?
How soon we forget why this forum was created. Pissed off Mackie forum members were given the boot without warning and now I'm expecting Mackie to soon close down their Facebook page if they can't stand the heat. They just got another round of criticism with their Mixbusters VLZ4 campaign. All off topic and about MF V2 and their unprofessional behavior as a company. Some people just don't learn from their mistakes. You'll have to wet your appetite with Beer. I like the idea of a Beer button, press it at a venue and someone brings it to you  :thu:. I've seen too many failing companies in my day and I'm not concerned about your apathy toward having a more competitive product, but I do feel for all the workers that are the heart and soul of the company that create product only to see it fail due to the bad policy and from decision makers that eventually take it down. Don't worry about them they have golden parachutes and the next victim already picked out. A while back I asked for a separate topic on this forum to collect all useful tips, sort of an applications manual and found no interest ( a better organized version of FAQ without commentary ). Noticed that sensationalism (negativity) created more interest here. As to updates free or otherwise was part and parcel of this product no surprise there. I am glad your Happy.
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 08:24:02 PM »
I don't personally believe that updates have to be free.  Don't want them to be expensive either.  But most corporations deliver quicker if there's money to be made from it.  Also, Version 2.0 would suggest that there might be some cost applied to it.  (I think it would be worth it.)  If Apple can announce a OS update and make it available on the same day, then Mackie ought to be able to do the same thing.  I know that they're trying to prevent possible sales going to another manufacturer, but anything that slightly smells of vaporware drives potential clients away.  (Think that's why Apple does it this way now.  It's more professional at every level.)  Meanwhile we all live with the shortcomings of Master Fader 1.4.3  Just think how much more we would love our DL1608s when MF V2 is finally available.

ijpengelly

• Knight
  • Weekend Warrior
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 09:42:45 PM »
If Mackie were as secretive as Apple then yes they could release it the same day, but they are more like a lot of other companies in that they announce things in advance as to what is to come, i.e. Microsoft, etc.

Hopefully MF is free, but a small charge may be tolerable, though it may upset the masses since that isn't part of the upfront marketing.

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 09:58:13 PM »
I would be annoyed if updates to the software had a cost, I realise that Mackie incur costs developing the software but I view it as part of the overall development which will keep the DL1608 ahead (ok maybe abreast) of the market and keep it selling into the future.

Ok maybe I'm being unfair here, I realise a time will come when Mackie stop supporting the DL and if a small charge (the typical iPad app costs 69p-£5.99, if it fell in that region I'd probably not be too unhappy) would extend support for a year or two extra then that may be a good thing. If it cost anywhere near what the Allen and Heath app costs (£69.99 IIRC) I'd have my DL on ebay so fast.....  >:D