Author Topic: Fewer threads on competition  (Read 6594 times)

Wynnd

• Master
Fewer threads on competition
« on: October 27, 2013, 09:48:15 AM »
Hey guys.  I don't really have much use for threads of competitors products.  (Existing or not.)   I own a DL1608 and I already know there are other products that are better or lower priced or nearly the same or not here yet......   There are forums for those.  Nothing said about other products will convince me that I made a mistake purchasing the Mackie.  It was the right move for me and only you will know if it's the right move for you.  Comparison threads are better items for Harmony-central's forums.  I like this forum otherwise.  It's a little like the magazine Soft Sector for the MBC-550 computer.  (Boy am I old.)  It centered on the one product and spent no time worrying about other "IBM compatibles".  This forum ought to do the same for the DL. 

Kruemel

• Youngling
Re: Fewer threads on competition
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 12:44:11 PM »
Thanks Wynnd for your statement  :thu:

Why not creating a sub folder in parallel to the DL1608 for all who wants to discuss other vendor solutions?
But please keep the DL1608 folder clean for discussions and questions round about this cool mixer.

Sorry....I can't understand....I'm only playing the bass!

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 02:37:11 PM »
+1 to both the previous comments :D
The older I get, the better I was!

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 03:05:53 PM »
This is an open forum for anyone here to talk about anything we want. Its also a forum that you can choose to read or not read whatever you want.

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 03:19:31 PM »
This is an open forum for anyone here to talk about anything we want. Its also a forum that you can choose to read or not read whatever you want.
Well I don't think I could post here regarding the pros and cons of growing tomatoes, or why Coke is better than Pepsi without RR wielding his mighty axe on me.
It's down to what RR deems appropriate on this forum.
Obviously there are a few people who think that some of the discussions here would be better served on other forums, I'm inclined to agree.
I suppose it's easy enough to filter through all the "unrelated" posts, if not a little irritating.
The older I get, the better I was!

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 04:34:33 PM »
I've ask RR in the past regarding a Behringer entry and the answer was when the time comes that may happen. In the mean time please read some of the other topic titles and you'll find out that it's not only about the DL or Mackie. I have to agree with Jerry on this.
When in doubt KISS

ChiroVette

• Padawan
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 05:22:38 PM »
Hey guys.  I don't really have much use for threads of competitors products.  (Existing or not.)   I own a DL1608 and I already know there are other products that are better or lower priced or nearly the same or not here yet......   There are forums for those.  Nothing said about other products will convince me that I made a mistake purchasing the Mackie.  It was the right move for me and only you will know if it's the right move for you.  Comparison threads are better items for Harmony-central's forums.  I like this forum otherwise.  It's a little like the magazine Soft Sector for the MBC-550 computer.  (Boy am I old.)  It centered on the one product and spent no time worrying about other "IBM compatibles".  This forum ought to do the same for the DL.

I definitely hear what you're saying and understand your point. I own the DL1608 as well, but there is a problem with having a forum that doesn't have comparison/competitor threads: It becomes a biased haven for fanboys who aren't interested in learning more. Yeah, I think you're right that Harmony Central is the best place for comparisons, but even as a DL1608 owner, I want to know about direct and even not so indirect competing products to what I own.

I also don't think that the purpose of those threads is to make you or I unhappy with our purchase or convince us to toss it in the trash to buy something else. Well, okay, clearly that is the intent of some people who come on these forums to stir shit and start fanboy wars.

Honestly, though, I am soon going to buy an X32 or perhaps a StudioLive, and I may even get the ix16, for what t's worth. But when I go onto Behringer's forum or Presonus's forum, I talk about their competition, too, if for no other reason than to see what opinions are even on the more fan oriented sites. My belief is that information is power. So even on a Mackie oriented forum like this, competing products should not only be fair game, but encouraged and nurtured for their educational value, at least in my opinion. ;)

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2013, 06:38:09 PM »
Also remember why there forums were started here (many thanks RR). They were started out of a very big negative on mackies part. A lot, if not all, of the original people here we extremely offended by Mackie and were already bitching them out. The forums were started partially out of frustration. And also a feeling of being let down by Mackie. We wanted the conversation to go on and the information to flow. I'm still convinced the official forums were dropped because of all the "competition" talk on mackies own forums. They were getting slammed in all directions for many different things. There are plenty of us here who have long decided to move on from Mackie long before these forums were started.

You probably should have known who you were swimming with before you jumped in the pool.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 07:33:41 PM »
I would rather see some new ideas brought to the table than rehash old topic that you obviously don't read.  http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=417.0  Complaining is easy bring some new ideas around. Ah yes let me dust off that 2x4.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 07:38:31 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2013, 11:09:34 PM »
This sure brought out some opinions.  There's a group of Apple haters.  No one is forcing you to purchase their products.  So why spend time on a website dedicated to a product so dependent on the ipad?  Trying to convince us that owning Apple products is a mistake?  I'm a PC network tech and CNA.  I could choose to live without Apple products, but instead I choose to live without MS products.  Fanboy?  Don't think so.  I just like things that work and don't break very often.  (Not intended to be a cut.  Just my experience.)

ChiroVette

• Padawan
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2013, 11:30:24 PM »
This sure brought out some opinions.  There's a group of Apple haters.  No one is forcing you to purchase their products.  So why spend time on a website dedicated to a product so dependent on the ipad?  Trying to convince us that owning Apple products is a mistake? I'm a PC network tech and CNA.  I could choose to live without Apple products, but instead I choose to live without MS products.  Fanboy?  Don't think so.  I just like things that work and don't break very often.  (Not intended to be a cut.  Just my experience.)

Wynn, this is a Straw Man argument. You are misrepresenting the position of people who support comparison threads by making it sound like all people will be polarized to the extreme of one side or the other. Yes, those people, as I already said, are shit-stirrers and troublemakers and should be dealt with accordingly. However, to equate ALL comparison of competitive product threads to be feeding at the same trough is a misnomer. Bottom line is that in an Apple forum, yes, people can talk about the differences between Apple computers and PC's. Why? If for no other reason than to help people on the fence to make up their minds, not to mention further knowledge and understanding. You know what? I own an iPad because I have to in order to interface with the DL1608 and the full mixer I will be buying soon. But personally, I hate Apple's products and steer as clear of them as I can humanly do. HOWEVER, I am not going to walk into an Apple forum and berate the product line, even though, for about a hundred different reasons, I am a PC man. If I had questions to ask or comparisons to make in an Apple forum, say if I was stuck between an iPad and perhaps a Samsung tablet, I would come with the posture of asking questions and learning, NOT to try to antagonize people who obviously support Apple.

Common sense rules should apply to all, and this should obviously include comparison threads, whether between Apple and PC products, Mackie an Soundcraft, or whatever. This is why we have moderators. But the discussions and comparisons are GREAT conversations, so long as people leave the bashing at the door and walk into the threads with a willingness to exchange ideas.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2013, 12:33:28 AM »
I have yet to hear of someone hating Apple products because they are crap.  (They aren't.)  I've seen a lot of people hate Apple for Corporate policies.  (Walled garden, Non-compatible connectors.  Pretty much stuff like that.) As far as comparisons, there is little that a PC can do that a Mac can't and vise/versa.  (And the same holds true for Linux machines.)  So outside of an occasional shifting of computer power, ease of use and compatibility with particular hardware becomes the real reason for choosing one over the other.   (And yea, Macs are a bit more expensive.  Linux machines are scary because of lack of familiarity.  All work pretty well and Windows 7 has proved to be solid.  I haven't decided if it's as good as OS-X, but it's pretty close.  Maybe too close to call.  XP was very good, but OS-X was decidedly better.  This from a man whose first OS was MS-DOS 1.1.  Also worked with MPM-86.  I know.  You guys have never heard of it.) 

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 01:33:38 AM »
I have yet to hear of someone hating Apple products because they are crap.  (They aren't.)  I've seen a lot of people hate Apple for Corporate policies.  (Walled garden, Non-compatible connectors.  Pretty much stuff like that.) As far as comparisons, there is little that a PC can do that a Mac can't and vise/versa.  (And the same holds true for Linux machines.)  So outside of an occasional shifting of computer power, ease of use and compatibility with particular hardware becomes the real reason for choosing one over the other.   (And yea, Macs are a bit more expensive.  Linux machines are scary because of lack of familiarity.  All work pretty well and Windows 7 has proved to be solid.  I haven't decided if it's as good as OS-X, but it's pretty close.  Maybe too close to call.  XP was very good, but OS-X was decidedly better.  This from a man whose first OS was MS-DOS 1.1.  Also worked with MPM-86.  I know.  You guys have never heard of it.)
I leave you for a few hours to play on an A&H T112 at Liberty Hall and your biting into apples, What gives. Was I not clear enough about new ideas? Yes I forgot to be specific MACKIE DL1608 MIXERS. Wynnd you just bit of more than you can chew. To me your a newbie in the field of computers circa '81 (MS dos 1.1) I started in '64 on mainframes and then the first reasonably priced PDP-8S ($20,000) from DEC. OS's such as RT-11, RSX-11 for PDP11's and Unix. Wrote one for PDP-8 so I could control a Siemens SRS X-ray spectrometer. Remember the Altair (S-100 bus) that's when I met Bill Gates. All before MS1.1 or the stolen ($75,000) Seattle Computer software. He felt guilty and years later on gave them more $. But this is supposed to be about MIXERS not computers. So lets focus and quit bitching and whining especially about someone else's opinion. I still like you but you digress. Want to hear something funny. I arrived a little late and the tech director had his keyboard set up at FOH but there sat a Behringer 1202 into the iT112. I asked what that was all about and he said that he forgot to ask for two inputs at FOH so he improvised. What a hoot. Oh yeah all went smooth and sounded great.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 03:19:35 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2013, 04:18:42 AM »
In the digital world, mixers are just a different form of computer.  And yes, I do digress a lot.  Bad habit.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2013, 04:39:04 AM »
As is about everything else. All's forgiven. Just kidding. Life's to short to loose sleep over most things.
When in doubt KISS