Author Topic: docked iPad loses sync  (Read 104094 times)

nottooloud

• Knight
Re: docked iPad loses sync
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2013, 06:24:23 PM »
I reverted Master Fader to 1.4.1, used Mackie's technique to force the firmware update (downgrade), and it's been operating fine for 16 hours at this point. I will allow it to run for the next several days.

My test procedure is to close all programs, reboot the iPad, dock it in the DL1608, turn on the DL1608, open Master Fader, switch to Music, play all songs on repeat, switch back to Master Fader, and scroll so I can see the iPad channel meters. I can't guarantee that it hasn't lost sync and recovered while running 1.4.1, since I'm not watching it nonstop. However, under 1.4.3 it never went more than a couple of hours before losing sync and not recovering.

Be aware that if you revert Master Fader, you'll lose all of your presets and everything.

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2013, 01:24:41 AM »
Master Fader version 2, still losing sync. Hasn't dropped it completely yet, but it's only been a couple of hours. 1.4.3 generally locked up in a few hours, never ran much more than a day. I went back to 1.4.1 and it ran for a week without apparent issue.

Guitarplace

• Initiate
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2013, 11:48:06 AM »
Master Fader version 2, still losing sync, :facepalm:
Oh no, not again, they should fix it soon
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 11:58:01 AM by Guitarplace »

iamdunker

• Youngling
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2013, 04:33:35 AM »
I have the same problem.  Ipad2 will de-sync while docked.  Only happened since last update.  Hopefully 2.0 will fix it.  I'll check back later.

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2013, 04:41:54 AM »
2.0 didn't fix it for me. Mackie tech I've been talking to hadn't seen this before I started talking to him, and that was only a couple of weeks ago. 2.0 is too good to go back to 1.4.1, the last one that works, so I'm going to start recording to my phone and use both pads on wifi.

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2013, 04:27:52 PM »
I got an Apple Lightning adapter, and tried my iPad Mini on the DL1608. It also loses sync, so I think we can eliminate a hardware issue in the specific iPad as a factor.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2013, 06:18:46 PM »
Just like Mackie denies any pin 1 problem this is just another example of their service/engineering. The other thread I believe is the same problem  http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=486.0
I have not had the problem upgraded to V1.4.3 but haven't had time for an extensive test. After my trip to wine country (1 week) I will test the theory that possibly ESD or other noise on the ground line is causing the problem. I am not using the Mackie power supply and that may be the reason I haven't any problem. Feel free to beat me to the test if you have a hummer or a spark generator (grill lighter without lighter fluid or not  ;D) on safety ground. You could borrow your wife's tazer.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 06:21:58 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2013, 06:33:11 PM »
I am not using the Mackie power supply and that may be the reason I haven't any problem.

Nor am I. I'm using the medical power supply that I referenced in the pin1 thread.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2013, 06:37:18 PM »
If that's the case then Mackie needs to sharpen their coding pens. Saves me a lot of test time. I consider the iPad record and playback function broken anyway. Without being able to play back using MF it's broken in my book.  :)
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2013, 07:06:53 AM »
I finally bit the bullet and updated to iOS 7.0.4 and V2.0 MF. I needed it for other reasons. I pounded on it with both the original PWRS and a Lab supply applying a hummer to try to break it without results (8hrs worth). Looks like iOS v7.0.4 may have fixed some bugs including this one. Try it and see if it fixes your dropout problem. Ran the standard music player (since everyone has it and didn't want to complicate matters with another music player). Switching back and forth with a playlist and MF. Worked without a hitch. Power cycled the DL and iPad several times. iPad 3 on one meter cable. The eq/mute registration problem is still there. Way to go Mackie!! :lol:
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 07:48:09 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2013, 02:00:10 PM »
Looks like iOS v7.0.4 may have fixed some bugs including this one.

My Mini's already on 7.04. My original iPad doesn't have that option. Both lose sync. I'm guessing one factor is parts tolerance in the mixers, since only some people see it. That's not the whole story, though, because 1.4.1 is rock solid.

I think it's possible that this problem is more common than people think. If you're not looking at it when it resyncs and recovers, you'd have no way to know it happened. It's pretty quick. It only becomes obvious when it doesn't recover. My next troubleshooting strategy is motion sensing video to document how often it happens.

For now I'm going to dock an iPod for recording and playback, and run both iPads on wifi.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2013, 04:36:46 PM »

My Mini's already on 7.04. My original iPad doesn't have that option. Both lose sync. I'm guessing one factor is parts tolerance in the mixers, since only some people see it. That's not the whole story, though, because 1.4.1 is rock solid.

I think it's possible that this problem is more common than people think. If you're not looking at it when it resyncs and recovers, you'd have no way to know it happened. It's pretty quick. It only becomes obvious when it doesn't recover. My next troubleshooting strategy is motion sensing video to document how often it happens.

For now I'm going to dock an iPod for recording and playback, and run both iPads on wifi.
Looking back on your history your not having much luck. Replaced the DL, a bad power supply and now this, I'm inclined to go with RR's exorcisms. I would have picked up on any dropped sync in my tests. I was listening to background music and during transitions I was right there.
When in doubt KISS

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2013, 04:42:49 PM »
I would have picked up on any dropped sync in my tests. I was listening to background music and during transitions I was right there.

It continues to pass audio both directions when it loses sync.

diggo

• Padawan
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2013, 06:23:52 AM »
For those using a docked iPad1, this problem seems to have become much worse than with MF 1.5.

I have iPad1 permanently docked, mostly for break music. I use an iPad2 to mix, partly because the display is faster (meters etc) and I also run Studio Six AudioTools with Smaart on the iPad2.

abzurd

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2013, 09:14:00 PM »

I agree with you that this is probably happening a lot more than being reported. I caught my original ipad losing sync once in each of the last 2 shows as the "syncing" dialog box popped up for a second which means it lost sync somewhere. I have no idea how long it does it for, but I'm guessing it's only losing sync for a moment. It's not an IOS7 problem because the original ipad is capped at IOS5.