Author Topic: docked iPad loses sync  (Read 104116 times)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: docked iPad loses sync
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2013, 01:53:09 AM »
After 40+hrs of running without a hitch I came to the conclusion that some stimulus is needed for this disconnect to happen. I finally found a way to get it's goat. I went back to the procedure that occasionally caused me problems. Power on DL then power on the iPad or plug it in. This produced the no-charge, not synced problem, no devise found problem consistently. No amount of restarting MF would change that. You guessed it power cycling the DL fixed the problem. You mileage may vary but this is what mine does consistently. This was done with a 100% charged iPad 3. No Network was connected to complicate things. This action preceded V2 and iOS 7. Clearly a DL sync code issue. Mackie FIX it!!
When in doubt KISS

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2013, 03:00:06 AM »
After 40+hrs of running without a hitch I came to the conclusion that some stimulus is needed for this disconnect to happen. I finally found a way to get it's goat. I went back to the procedure that occasionally caused me problems. Power on DL then power on the iPad or plug it in. This produced the no-charge, not synced problem, no devise found problem consistently. No amount of restarting MF would change that. You guessed it power cycling the DL fixed the problem. You mileage may vary but this is what mine does consistently. This was done with a 100% charged iPad 3. No Network was connected to complicate things. This action preceded V2 and iOS 7. Clearly a DL sync code issue. Mackie FIX it!!

Does power cycling the DL mean turning it on and off? Not easy to do in the middle of a show  :(

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2013, 03:08:43 AM »
It sure does, hence my statement that this mixer is not usable in live performances unless your willing to chance it. You can however run it wireless without iPad functionality in playback. No one has ever had it lock up AFAIK. You just have to make sure your wireless is solid. I should clarify this WiFi without interference.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 03:23:32 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Jkowtko

• Padawan
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2013, 03:59:33 AM »
Maybe I should clarify my sync-loss experience a bit more --

I never dock or undock my iPads during the show. 

The docked iPad stays docked and records the whole thing.  I don't run anything but MF.  I get periodic drop-and-resync during this time. 

The wireless iPad stays on wifi, and I just have to make sure I have enough battery juice the last the 2-3 hours.

If undocking and re-docking an iPad causes more problems, I'll be sure to avoid doing that now ;)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2013, 05:37:33 PM »
  For the next gig I will be using the docked iPad for controls.
Feeling lucky? I would have a backup plan in place for this gig.
When in doubt KISS

Jkowtko

• Padawan
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2013, 07:47:06 PM »
  For the next gig I will be using the docked iPad for controls.
Feeling lucky? I would have a backup plan in place for this gig.

Oh ... and we will still have two wireless iPads in our hands for this one.  I just meant that we will be doing some fader work on the docked iPad for convenience, which means if it resyncs on us it will mean a small disruption for us to have to scroll one of the other iPad fader banks to pick up the control.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2013, 09:14:28 PM »
Good plan. Looking back at my usage of the DL on gigs I never used it docked and I never used the iPad for background/accompaniment playback. Certainly never for recording. That's why I never encountered the problems. That's called dumb luck.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 09:16:47 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Harpman

• Knight
  • “If music be the food of love, play on"
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2013, 06:50:44 PM »
I too had this happen last night at rehearsal.  Also get the message "application not supported".  I just shut everything down (console and iPad) and brought them all back up (console first, then iPad). Redocked iPad and sync worked.  This is clearly a bug in MF 2.0 or compatibly issue with IOS 7.  Either way, Mackie needs to fix this!!
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment
"We Bring Good Music to Life"

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2013, 08:08:24 PM »
Let me recommend a turn on sequence that has turned out to deal with most of the problems. 1st the router/ap then the iPad and lastly the DL.
When in doubt KISS

Harpman

• Knight
  • “If music be the food of love, play on"
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2013, 09:04:52 PM »
Let me recommend a turn on sequence that has turned out to deal with most of the problems. 1st the router/ap then the iPad and lastly the DL.

:thu: Definitely would agree with this since DL gets it's IP address from the router/ap.  Wasn't using the router (airport express) last night.
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment
"We Bring Good Music to Life"

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2013, 09:19:10 PM »
Ever wonder why the network connection seems to be reliable and the wired isn't? My take is strait forward. Neither Mackie the Fruit or M$ wrote the SW. All from FreeBSD and Linux on the TCP/IP stack. Here's an outfit that has tracked the Internet literally since day one and the results speak volumes.
http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2013/09/05/september-2013-web-server-survey.html
The reason that Jobs picked FreeBSD is that he didn't have to publish any changes or improvements with the FreeBSD license. It was use it at will commercially and he did.
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2013, 04:45:36 PM »
Are you suggesting that ios 7 is FreeBSD or Linux?  I honestly don't know, but they don't feel like it.  If they were using either, I would expect a more Aqua feel to them and that's not there.  Now OS-X is clearly based on FreeBSD.  (Personally, I was hoping that Apple was going to buy BeOS as the base for OS-X but that didn't happen.  BeOS was the first OS to take two running programs and allow you to smash them together on the fly.  They did that in 1995.  OS-X was the second and that occurred in 2002(?)  They were a full computer generation ahead of anyone else.)   Well you got my curiosity up and I'm going to spend a little time and see what's under the hood of an ipad/iphone. 

diggo

• Padawan
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2013, 04:50:33 PM »
This problem is now officially driving me nuts.  >:(

iPad1, iPad2. Since the 2.0 upgrade, both lose sync repeatedly when docked. No other apps running. As a result I've completely abandoned using break music from the docked iPad. And it really annoys me when sync disappears right while I'm making quick adjustments between songs.

It really seems like whoever did 2.0 broke docked sync badly.

To add insult to injury, at a gig tonight the wifi wouldnt connect at all, despite the network connecting successfully and giving out IP address etc to the iPad.
The Master Fader config panel sees the device but message just says "Not connected".
Seems like somethings gone wrong with the RJ45 socket, either in the Airport Express or the DL1608. I tried 3 different network cables.
Like others here, I usually dont have problems with wifi syncing and always run the DL1608 and Airport Express from a good UPS. I take good care of my gear and it isnt used by others.

For now, I'm assuming the wifi problem isnt serious. Testing everything in my studio tomorrow to determine which bit is misbehaving.

diggo

• Padawan
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2013, 04:57:09 PM »
BeOS was the first OS to take two running programs and allow you to smash them together on the fly.

The BeOS saga was very sad and very frustrating for those who knew what BeOS offered digital audio applications. It was the great hope for real time multimedia and was the most promising real time OS since the Amiga.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2013, 05:29:13 PM »
Very true.  My Brother said that his computer broke and apparently he had been running it for about 8 years without even a hiccup.  It was an Amiga.  There isn't a windows user out there that can say the same.  (Or a Mac user either, though they have half as many software glitches that MS.)