Author Topic: docked iPad loses sync  (Read 105672 times)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: docked iPad loses sync
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2013, 06:10:33 PM »
Are you suggesting that ios 7 is FreeBSD or Linux?  I honestly don't know, but they don't feel like it.  If they were using either, I would expect a more Aqua feel to them and that's not there.  Now OS-X is clearly based on FreeBSD.  (Personally, I was hoping that Apple was going to buy BeOS as the base for OS-X but that didn't happen.  BeOS was the first OS to take two running programs and allow you to smash them together on the fly.  They did that in 1995.  OS-X was the second and that occurred in 2002(?)  They were a full computer generation ahead of anyone else.)   Well you got my curiosity up and I'm going to spend a little time and see what's under the hood of an ipad/iphone.
We know and Fruit acknowledged that OS-X core was FreeBsd (circa V4.4) with their contribution being the GUI layer (Aqua). Definitely not Linux since they would have to publish the code. iOS on the other hand could have been from the Os9 group. It's about that level with some input from FreeBsd. After all were talking about FB (foreground/background multitasking a 1970's technology DEC RT-11FB) really advanced.  :lol:  RSX-11M, Amiga and BeOS way too advanced. I would hope that both OS-X and iOS have progressed somewhat since it's roots. iOS7 sports a new GUI and some improvement in multitasking but apparently Core Audio took a hit in that effort and needs work. Up's I think they call those new features. We used to laugh about OS9's crash task that used to wake up and run about every 3-4 hrs.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 06:20:58 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2013, 11:24:23 PM »
To add insult to injury, at a gig tonight the wifi wouldnt connect at all, despite the network connecting successfully and giving out IP address etc to the iPad.
The Master Fader config panel sees the device but message just says "Not connected".
Seems like somethings gone wrong with the RJ45 socket, either in the Airport Express or the DL1608. I tried 3 different network cables.
Like others here, I usually dont have problems with wifi syncing and always run the DL1608 and Airport Express from a good UPS. I take good care of my gear and it isnt used by others.

For now, I'm assuming the wifi problem isnt serious. Testing everything in my studio tomorrow to determine which bit is misbehaving.

Your wifi issue sounds like what I see when the router wasn't fully booted before the Mackie.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2013, 03:46:30 PM »
I've noticed that the ipad will try to hook up to the strongest signal, no matter where it's from.  I usually have to go in and redirect the wifi to "NoInternetHere 5G".  I've also noticed that it's easier to allow the mixer to comeup first and connect while docked, then load a specific show.  Just my take.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2013, 10:01:21 PM »
I've noticed that the ipad will try to hook up to the strongest signal, no matter where it's from.
Only if you arfed up ;) :
http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=193.0

abzurd

« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2013, 12:56:17 AM »
I had a gig on Saturday where my ipad wouldn't stay connected to wifi and my newest ipad (3rd gen) wouldn't even dock to the thing. I was left with my 1st gen ipad docked and losing sync during the show. Bottom line,  since the last update of Master Fader there are problems every show.

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2013, 03:10:29 AM »
I had a gig on Saturday where my ipad wouldn't stay connected to wifi and my newest ipad (3rd gen) wouldn't even dock to the thing. I was left with my 1st gen ipad docked and losing sync during the show. Bottom line,  since the last update of Master Fader there are problems every show.

That's a bummer Abzurd. Mine is more intermittent and noticably worse if I forget to stop the break music playing before starting a set.

I had no issues at two gigs last weekend but nothing but trouble the gig bofore that.

Sure hope Mackie get this sorted soon!

PeterKorg

• Padawan
« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2013, 06:12:31 PM »
Two gigs on the bounce Friday and Saturday, no such issues for me, you have me worried though, another two gigs this weekend my fingers are now crossed.

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2013, 12:56:06 AM »
Peter,

I hadn't really noticed the problem until recently but I suspect its been there for a while. I mix using the wifi connected ipad so only really pay attention to the docked ipad during breaks.

So the problem is a pain but not a show stopper unless you mix on the docked ipad and don't use wireless at all.

Cheers

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2013, 07:07:14 AM »
I would still have a contingency plan for power cycling your system with minimal disruption. Power down without destroying equipment or someones hearing. Remember the preferred power on sequence for quick recovery is AP(Switch) first then iPad both code bases are well tested and lastly the DL with not so good a code base. You do need to wait for each kit to power up completely between steps. If at all possible run everything on the 5 Gb bands.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 07:11:30 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2013, 02:14:27 PM »
When it locks up, I've never needed to power cycle it. Just pull the ipad and redock it. Doesn't interrupt anything but recording and playback.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2013, 04:43:25 PM »
Other users have had different results including myself so YMMV. Best to be ready for the worst and hope nothing happens.
When in doubt KISS

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #71 on: January 01, 2014, 10:14:08 PM »
Well, that's new. Got an error message on Sunday.

Disconnection Notice
An unexpected and unrecoverable error occurred during the execution of an app state machine. Please reconnect and resync.
Dismiss

I just wiped the iPad today, starting over clean.

Harpman

• Knight
  • “If music be the food of love, play on"
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #72 on: January 02, 2014, 08:02:51 AM »
I would still have a contingency plan for power cycling your system with minimal disruption. Power down without destroying equipment or someones hearing. Remember the preferred power on sequence for quick recovery is AP(Switch) first then iPad both code bases are well tested and lastly the DL with not so good a code base. You do need to wait for each kit to power up completely between steps.
If at all possible run everything on the 5 Gb bands.

I would agree.  Especially if you are running any wireless mics on the 2.4 GHz range.  Should have purchased the Shure BLX instead of the GLX.  Well, a day late and a dollar short...

Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment
"We Bring Good Music to Life"

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #73 on: January 02, 2014, 09:00:57 AM »
How about trading it for a SLX ? When did you pick this up? Are mics in the non-returnable category?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 09:07:03 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Jkowtko

• Padawan
« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2014, 03:44:22 PM »
I just wiped the iPad today, starting over clean.

Did that help?