Author Topic: docked iPad loses sync  (Read 104188 times)

nottooloud

• Knight
Re: docked iPad loses sync
« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2014, 04:15:46 PM »
I just wiped the iPad today, starting over clean.

Did that help?

Made no difference at all. And of course it was a 64 gig, crammed full of os-obsoleted versions of software, so iTunes can't just restore it.

Sigh.

Everything's still fine via wifi, or I'd be pretty pissed. There's also nothing yet that can touch it for the combination of size, features, and price, so I'll keep on poking Mackie to fix it.

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #76 on: January 02, 2014, 05:20:07 PM »
Too bad behringer's holding their x32 rack price point at 1500 .. If they dropped it a few hundred I bet they would consume this market pretty quickly.

When I fly, the Mackie doesn't go in checked baggage. It doesn't even go in my carry-on. It goes in my personal, that thing you can bring in addition to a carry-on. At 15 lbs, the Behringer is basically a 3 space empty box, but it's still big enough that I'd need to check it. That'd cost me $100 a trip. And I wouldn't be placing any bets on Behringer gear surviving TSA and baggage handlers.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #77 on: January 02, 2014, 09:12:20 PM »
Too bad behringer's holding their x32 rack price point at 1500 .. If they dropped it a few hundred I bet they would consume this market pretty quickly.

When I fly, the Mackie doesn't go in checked baggage. It doesn't even go in my carry-on. It goes in my personal, that thing you can bring in addition to a carry-on. At 15 lbs, the Behringer is basically a 3 space empty box, but it's still big enough that I'd need to check it. That'd cost me $100 a trip. And I wouldn't be placing any bets on Behringer gear surviving TSA and baggage handlers.
Even the most limiting airlines have a handbag allowance that would accommodate a rack in a soft carrying case (36" l+w+h). The carry-on is 45". You would remove the rack ears anyway for other reasons but even with them on it would be allowed. Last I checked the round trip check-in was $50 ($25 each way extra $2 for curbside out of LAX). So your good to go anyways.
When in doubt KISS

Jkowtko

• Padawan
« Reply #78 on: January 02, 2014, 09:16:04 PM »

Even the most limiting airlines have a handbag allowance that would accommodate a rack in a soft carrying case (36" l+w+h). The carry-on is 45". You would remove the rack ears anyway for other reasons but even with them on it would be allowed. Last I checked the round trip check-in was $50 ($25 each way extra $2 for curbside out of LAX). So your good to go anyways.

how do you send the rest of your equipment?

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #79 on: January 02, 2014, 09:19:56 PM »

My carryon holds my computers and mics. Baggage fees vary between airlines. I typically fly Southwest in the states, and am always at my baggage allowance. Additional bags had always been $50. Now that I check, though, I see they've gone to $75. So that would be $150, not $100. Thanks, as always, for your unrequested input.

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #80 on: January 02, 2014, 09:32:46 PM »
how do you send the rest of your equipment?

One of my frequent gigs is to run sound on chartered 1940's Pullman train cars. For most of my fly dates last year and next year, I am actually carrying the entire PA except the speaker stands. We fly Southwest, where you get two bags free. I travel with other people, and clothes pack with the gear, so I've got from four to six 50lb 62" spaces, depending on which train I'm working on. I have speaker stands stashed in Chicago and LA, where the trains leave from.

http://www.flyingunderradar.com/2014-trips-dave-alvins-west-of-the-west-grand-circle

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #81 on: January 02, 2014, 11:34:09 PM »
Nottooloud: Thanks, as always, for your unrequested input.
You're welcome. Your simple solution is not to post. Mine is even simpler, ignore your posts.  :)
Happy New Year!
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #82 on: January 03, 2014, 01:34:04 AM »
If I had the extra revenue, I'd love to take that trip.  My Sister has been threatening to come west by train.  I shoot her your link.  (She's a High School teacher so there are limits to her schedule.) 

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2014, 03:34:35 AM »
Your simple solution is not to post.

Solution to what? My mixer losing sync? I don't think so.

Your posts certainly aren't a thing that needs a solution. I thanked you for that one, as I have before, even though it was irrelevant and incorrect. You make me laugh, and I enjoy that.

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #84 on: February 20, 2014, 01:06:19 AM »
I finally had it drop sync over wifi last week, both iPads at once, unrecoverable. Had a presentation show running, multiple A/V sources and various people handing wireless mics around. No opportunity to reboot. Grit my teeth and mix from the gain pots.

I've come to the conclusion it's a mixer hardware issue. Going back for service. We'll see.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2014, 03:16:17 AM »
You're probably right about it being a mixer/hardware issue, but how is the power where you were?  Good power and a surge suppressor seem a minimum.  A surge could knock the ipad connections down.  (At least that seems a bit likely.)  Power tends to be better in metropolitan areas.  Rural areas are going to be less consistent. But you are probably right about it being the mixer itself. 

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #86 on: February 20, 2014, 03:29:18 AM »
I haven't been using the UPS I bought but if I was seeing problems like those I'd try that first before blaming the mixer - digital mixers can be pretty susceptible to power issues.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2014, 04:09:53 AM »
You are making me consider adding a UPS to my mixing stack.  (Contains the DL1608, 2xDriveRack PXs and a DriveRack PA.  Most can take advantage of a UPS.)

diggo

• Padawan
« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2014, 07:57:49 AM »
I haven't been using the UPS I bought but if I was seeing problems like those I'd try that first before blaming the mixer - digital mixers can be pretty susceptible to power issues.

My DL has never been connected to a power source which is NOT a UPS. Treated with kid gloves from new. I still encounter the sync issue, despite resetting the mixer, cleaning connectors with Deoxit, changing cables and anything else I could think of. I use iPad2 and iPad1. Seems to affect the iPad1 more often than the iPad2, but both are affected.

Havent tried 2.1 yet as I'm in the middle of a conference...

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #89 on: February 20, 2014, 04:20:17 PM »
My DL has never been connected to a power source which is NOT a UPS. Treated with kid gloves from new. I still encounter the sync issue, despite resetting the mixer, cleaning connectors with Deoxit, changing cables and anything else I could think of. I use iPad2 and iPad1. Seems to affect the iPad1 more often than the iPad2, but both are affected. Havent tried 2.1 yet as I'm in the middle of a conference...
Try this first after loading V2.1 http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=486.msg5302#msg5302 .
Too many threads on the same subject.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 04:32:57 PM by RoadRanger »
When in doubt KISS