Author Topic: docked iPad loses sync  (Read 105488 times)

mmurphy

• Youngling
Re: docked iPad loses sync
« Reply #90 on: March 10, 2014, 12:55:46 PM »
I've had my DL1608 of about 2 months. Reasonably problem free but I too have had sync problems since I installed the latest Myfader 2.1 and firmware update. I, like many, thought it was my old iPad 1 but it does look more and more like a sync problem. Ironic, my friend bought the Behringer X32 around the same time and I warned him about the quality of that product line from personal experience. His works great..........

I gig with this rig at least 3 times/month and cannot afford to mess around with gear. I really hope there is a fix for this soon.

Mike

mmurphy

• Youngling
« Reply #91 on: March 12, 2014, 05:31:01 PM »
I wrote to Mackie and got a reply the next day!
They suggested another Myfader update to 2.1.1
Done.
It does appear to be solved but I have noticed an important order of startup.
This has worked everytime I've tried it so far.
Leave mixer off.
Do not connect wifi.
Turn on iPad and open Myfader app
Then turn on mixer.
Finally, connect wifi if you are using it.
Yay!

Mike

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #92 on: March 12, 2014, 10:13:24 PM »
Wow that's interesting. Its the opposite order of start up that I use.

I'll give it a try.

Cheers

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #93 on: March 12, 2014, 11:22:50 PM »
I wrote to Mackie and got a reply the next day!
They suggested another Myfader update to 2.1.1
Done.
This has worked everytime I've tried it so far.
Leave mixer off.
Do not connect wifi.
Turn on iPad and open Myfader app
Then turn on mixer.
Finally, connect wifi if you are using it.
Yay!

Mike

I trust you meant to say Master Fader instead of Myfader. Myfader has limited control over the DL. As to the turn on sequence here is the order and reasons for the sequence.
For docking turn on the iPad first start MF app and then plug into a powered on DL. For network connection turn on the access point and let the DHCP server time to be functional. Then turn on iPad on and MF and lastly the DL. The DL has the weakest sync code.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 11:54:38 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #94 on: March 12, 2014, 11:42:38 PM »

I've never had any trouble getting them to sync on startup. After a few hours, though, that's a different story. Mackie service in NJ has had mine for two weeks now. I wrote up a detailed procedure for them to reproduce the issue. They haven't tried it. They're "waiting for something from Loud." I'm not happy.

Some months back, when a jack failed on my first DL1608, I had a new one in days, because parts didn't exist. Now they're "servicing" them. As if they're going to do anything but swap the motherboard.

mmurphy

• Youngling
« Reply #95 on: March 13, 2014, 02:43:05 PM »
Yes, I did meant MasterFader 2.1.1
I have tried to make it fail all week as I have a gig on Saturday and hate nothing more than friggin around with gear at a live show.
I will let you know if it works.
It appears that my start up sequence is not the recommended one but it has not failed yet.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Cheers.

JMc

• Padawan
« Reply #96 on: March 17, 2014, 06:22:27 PM »
Been having the same sync while docked issues...  MasterFader and iPad OS both the latest versions.  I'll try the recommended startup sequence, but come on...  It shouldn't be this difficult.  You should just be able to turn the damn things on, in whatever order suits you, and they should all work together without some special "sequence".  Very frustrating...

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #97 on: March 17, 2014, 07:49:56 PM »
Ran into my first occurrence of losing sync while docked.  I was able to connect to the wifi while docked, but it had the message that it wasn't charging.  (I was at 100% anyway.)  A full shut down of all apps and a reboot of the ipad and a power cycle of the mixer brought me back.  Bit of a pain?  Yea, but nothing that would have shut me down. (Could easily finish the show or set before dealing with the issue.)   It would be worse to lose power.  (That happens about once every couple of years.)

JMc

• Padawan
« Reply #98 on: March 17, 2014, 07:54:47 PM »
Oh, almost forgot...  Another VERY strange issue aside from the sync loss.  After the show, the metering was all working, everything was synced and I had music playing from the iPad while we were breaking down...  My band mate touches the "mute" for his channel so he can safely unplug and the iPad music is muted...  Just... gone.  I see the meter still bouncing, so I know there's signal.  I double check and triple check to make sure the iPad channel isn't muted...  Several more second go by and a loud rash of white noise blasts through the speakers.  What is THIS all about, now?

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #99 on: March 17, 2014, 08:00:52 PM »
That would be the white noise issue that some are experiencing.  Probably had nothing to do with your bandmate muting his channel.  I haven't had to happen to me, but I also don't use the ipad as a music source at gigs.  I do use it when we need to listen to a song we're working on at rehearsals.  No one has been able to figure out what is causing it to happen.  It seems unpredictable.  People are hoping for a fix, but intermittent problems are the hardest to figure out.  (And this is as intermittent as you can get.)

Harpman

• Knight
  • “If music be the food of love, play on"
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #100 on: March 17, 2014, 09:45:44 PM »
I don't have the sync issue nearly as much anymore because my docked IPad is only running MF. I stream my break music from my Airport Extreme to channels 15/16.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment
"We Bring Good Music to Life"

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #101 on: March 17, 2014, 09:47:46 PM »
I don't have the sync issue nearly as much anymore because my docked IPad is only running MF. I stream my break music from my Airport Extreme to channels 15/16.

I've certainly had the sync issue with no playback at all.

mmurphy

• Youngling
« Reply #102 on: March 19, 2014, 06:18:35 PM »
Well I ran the heck out of my rig this weekend. I left it on all day Saturday and packed it up in -20C weather and brought to my gig. Plugged it in, and presto. It worked perfectly. Played all night error free.
Left it in the car till Monday (I know, I know especially here in Canada) but anyways, I went and set it up at noon on Monday and again left it on till I arrived for the gig at 4:30pm. Played all night error free.

I am much happier with it now.

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #103 on: March 30, 2014, 06:23:09 PM »
Now they're "servicing" them. As if they're going to do anything but swap the motherboard.

Little update. When my DL1608 hit the one month mark sitting on a shelf in the service center in New Jersey, I whined to techmail at the home office. New one arrived Friday. Haven't had a chance to stress test it, but I've had it out for two shows with no problems. Taking it out again this afternoon.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 06:29:38 PM by nottooloud »

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #104 on: March 30, 2014, 10:40:39 PM »
So just for laughs, here is my start up sequence:

One iPad is docked….
Power up airport express, wait for it to boot.
Power up DL, it then makes the iPad power up.
Load Master Fader 2.1.1 on docked iPad. It then syncs with the DL (get pop up window announcing sync)
I then load whatever saved scenes I need to use.
Power up remote second ipad, make sure it’s connected to airport express wireless, load Master Fader on this iPad. It syncs to docked ipad or the DL itself. (Not sure which)

This has worked every time. Of course this all has not been used in the real world yet, so I may be in for a lot of fun dropping sync etc. when I do a real gig at an important venue.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 10:43:31 PM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler