Author Topic: docked iPad loses sync  (Read 104159 times)

nottooloud

• Knight
Re: docked iPad loses sync
« Reply #105 on: March 31, 2014, 02:57:08 AM »
That's exactly my startup sequence. Router, DL, docked iPad, remotes.  I watched the docked iPad resync for no apparent reason a half dozen times in 3 hours. It always came back, and never dropped audio, but still. This DL's now for sale while it's still fresh. I love using it, and as far as I'm concerned the feature set is finally all there, but if I can't trust it, it's less than useless to me. I'll wait for the next generation from competitors. My eye's on the QSC, because my experience with them as a company has been bulletproof. In the meantime, I've started doing small shows with a couple of Focusrite interfaces and a laptop running Reaper.

mmurphy

• Youngling
« Reply #106 on: March 31, 2014, 05:05:26 PM »
Well I have not had a single problem since the upgrade to 2.1.1
This weekend I forgot to plug the router in during setup and one guy in the band said hey where's my monitor mix?
I plugged it in and his iphone could see the router but we had to power cycle the DL. No problems after that.
Minor matter.
I've been recording our shows now and am very happy with the results (level wise anyways, the musicians are a whole other story :).

Mike

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #107 on: March 31, 2014, 10:04:36 PM »
Used DL for the first time today at a small venue. Powered it off and on numerous times in between sessions just to give it a break and there was no sync loss whatsoever. It ran flawlessly all day. I was using the remote iPad the whole time with the other ipad docked. I know it's the first real use, but fingers crossed, it will continue to perform like this gig after gig  ;)
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #108 on: April 01, 2014, 04:38:51 AM »
It's obvious that many of you have two ipads to begin with.  I probably ought to get another one as a back up.  Using my iphone as an emergency back up, but really haven't had any problems that would prevent me from getting the job done.

PeterKorg

• Padawan
« Reply #109 on: April 01, 2014, 06:22:42 PM »
Hi KM I have used my DL about 50 gigs now and it has never failed me, just turn up, assess the room, call up a previous show similar in size, and work from there,

I always keep one iPad docked, and one in my hand the magnetic cover actually sticks to my keyboard, Korg M50 the rest of the guys have IPads and sort out their own monitor mix, speed and simplify is the essence, of these things, I use all 16 channels and all 6 aux's

JMc

• Padawan
« Reply #110 on: April 06, 2014, 06:34:24 PM »
I'm sure happy to hear that so many aren't having any sync problems with their iPad's because my iPad 2 is having problems all the time losing sync.  The recommended boot order suggested earlier:

Power on iPad, open Master Fader
Power on DL-1608
Power on router

Doesn't work for for me.  In order for the router to sync and pass signal to the aux iPads and iPhones, it has to be powered up first.  I guess I'm going to have to undock the iPad from the mixer and hope that it stays in sync that way, but that wasn't my preference.  I'm calling Mackie tomorrow.  I love the DL1608, but these little niggly bugs are making it lose its sheen.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #111 on: April 06, 2014, 07:10:06 PM »
Not sure what your reading but I and many others have explained the power up sequence and it's not what you stated. Since there are two different ways to hook up to the DL different sequences are used by me.
For the record once more:

Docked usage:
iPad power on and MF started first then
power on DL.

Un-docked usage:
Power on access point (Airport express etc.) first. Reason is to have the DHCP server ready to be able to assign IP address.
Power up DL since it has the poorest connect software.
Power on iPad and start MF.

Hope this helps.

When in doubt KISS

JMc

• Padawan
« Reply #112 on: April 06, 2014, 07:16:08 PM »
Docked usage:
iPad power on and MF started first then
power on DL.

Un-docked usage:
Power on access point (Airport express etc.) first. Reason is to have the DHCP server ready to be able to assign IP address.
Power up DL since it has the poorest connect software.
Power on iPad and start MF.

What if I want BOTH docked and undocked usage?  In other words, I want to leave the iPad docked, but still have wifi use for other iPads and iPhones using master fader or my fader?  Because if I use the sequence you say for Un-docked use, then my iPad that is docked loses sync.  Repeatedly.  It seemed that I had tried your undocked method before, but still lost sync with the docked iPad.  Oh well, I'll try it again.  Not much else I can do.  Thank you.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 07:17:46 PM by JMc »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #113 on: April 06, 2014, 07:40:15 PM »
That was not your original request and I don't have two iPads to simulate your problem but let me suggest that you power up the DL last after all iPads have been started. Gio may have some input to this since he has two iPads. It may also depend on the iPad versions for more fun. None of this would need to be done if the MF/DL software were properly written. This software exists in the public domain from the Linux router project 10+ years ago. Sad!
Loosing sync is of course the problem Mackie has yet to fix and that won't go away with any power on sequence.

If your sync loss is consistent and repeatable then let me say that when you talk to Mackie suggest that they buy back your gear so that they can solve the Sasquatch project. ;D
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 08:03:06 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

JMc

• Padawan
« Reply #114 on: April 06, 2014, 07:56:44 PM »
Thanks for your input...  I'm still going to call Mackie tomorrow to complain, for the reasons stated and because it's warranted.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 08:19:51 PM by JMc »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #115 on: April 06, 2014, 08:12:22 PM »
When you call Mackie (general #) ask for Graham Jordan and state personal business when asked. He is the "code whisperer" and ask him if this will ever be fixed. >:D
When in doubt KISS

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #116 on: April 07, 2014, 12:29:02 AM »
I usually follow the recommended (by Mackie) power on sequence of :-

1. Router (and wait for a minute or so before)
2. DL1608
3. Dock the (already booted) iPad and start Master Fader

My less than systematic approach seems to work virtually every time.

To add my second iPad via WiFi I first make sure it has a connection to the DL router and start MF.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #117 on: April 07, 2014, 12:46:41 AM »
How do you ascertain that the second  iPad has a connection to the DL via Air express before you start MF? Or at least that the second iPad has a connection to the Air express?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 12:48:39 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #118 on: April 07, 2014, 01:02:42 AM »
Reread his post and all should be obvious.  He connects to the wifi router first.  (With lots of wifi routers nearly everywhere, you do need to make sure you're attached to the correct one.)    I'm not sure the order is too critical.  I do shut down all the apps that I don't need.  I do run Master Fader and OnSong.  And usually I do need to tell it to connect to the wifi DL  1608 even if started docked when the mixer was turned on.  (One time thing each startup)

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #119 on: April 07, 2014, 01:11:23 AM »
Correct, just go to the WiFi tab in settings and make sure the iPad is connected to your DL system router first then start MF (actually it works nearly every time even if MF is running and the iPad has connected to a different router as happens if I set the DL up at home, I just tell it to connect to the correct one and all is well).
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 01:13:54 AM by sam.spoons »