Author Topic: docked iPad loses sync  (Read 104165 times)

Wynnd

• Master
Re: docked iPad loses sync
« Reply #135 on: April 16, 2014, 03:19:08 PM »
Jerry Lee's experience must be good with Behringer.  Just like some people with Mackie's DL1608 who have never had problems and love their mixer.  It happens.

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #136 on: April 16, 2014, 03:33:53 PM »
I have said many times I have never had a problem with my Mackie dl1608. Mackie themselves, well....

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #137 on: April 16, 2014, 04:31:36 PM »
Yes you are f#*^€d!

Not necessarily if this X18 turns out to be the real deal, I'm gone from here.  However as a new product I worry about getting into more problems than I have now.
Can you wait until at least September or October this year for the X18?
It's an unknown quantity and you're right about running into problems there too, it's a very plausible scenario. Lot's of Behringer customers are getting noisy waiting for the X app update to work with their 2.ooooh firmware update. As someone said over in their forums, for all the dollar price difference, you might as well buy the X Rack if it's a Behringer you're after.
My DL works fine wirelessly, if I was depending on the docked link like you are, I'd be cheesed off too :(
Mackie need to step up and fix the problem or apportion blame elsewhere if that's the case.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 04:36:16 PM by robbocurry »
The older I get, the better I was!

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #138 on: April 16, 2014, 04:58:34 PM »
It's probably an ios issue that is causing the problem. After all it was mentioned by someone here that things were working fine and the all of a sudden not. I had an issue with something in the past not working. And it was because of an app I downloaded. I just restored the iPad and all was fine.

In regards to the street list price of the rack vs x18. US price is $1199 and $799. That's not a small difference. $999 to $1199 is a different story. Dl to rack.

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #139 on: April 16, 2014, 05:46:13 PM »
If I was happy enough to buy Behringer, I'd spend the extra $400 and get the box that will probably be more future proof and definitely more expandable than the X18.
It seems a more complicated beast and that may not suit everyone's needs, but that's what I'd buy if I was looking there.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 05:49:17 PM by robbocurry »
The older I get, the better I was!

Rick Scofield

• Padawan
« Reply #140 on: April 21, 2014, 04:28:23 PM »
Had my first sync-drop during a gig on Friday.  Happened mid-set, so I didn't notice.  Had 4 MyFader users wirelessly controlling their own monitors, and two iPads running Master Fader.  I noticed during a break that the one that was docked stopped metering.  It would not pass iPad audio to the mains for our break music, which sucked, but we kept the break short and went into our second set.

Couldn't wait around to troubleshoot.  Bummed, but don't really feel like it's a complete failure, since the show just went on.

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #141 on: April 22, 2014, 06:54:43 PM »

Yes you are f#*^€d!

It's probably an ios issue that is causing the problem. After all it was mentioned by someone here that things were working fine and the all of a sudden not. I had an issue with something in the past not working. And it was because of an app I downloaded. I just restored the iPad and all was fine.

You certainly have a lot of opinions for a guy who's never seen the problem.

The issue is somewhere between the two systems, leaning heavily toward the Mackie side. Older DL firmwares didn't suffer from it. Current versions drop out fatally with some DL1608s and all iPads, regardless of iPad or iOS version. Other DL1608s drop out but consistently recover. Having returned mine twice, I now have one of those. Still other lucky DL1608s apparently don't drop out at all. I haven't seen one of those. All of this indicates to me that some sort of DL1608 parts tolerance probably plays a role. Restoring the iPad has no effect whatsoever.

If it locks up fatally, email techmail@mackie.com and demand a replacement. Worked for me. Refer to this thread. They have to do something about it eventually.

Sting

• Padawan
« Reply #142 on: April 22, 2014, 09:39:27 PM »
Had my first sync-drop during a gig on Friday.  Happened mid-set, so I didn't notice.  Had 4 MyFader users wirelessly controlling their own monitors, and two iPads running Master Fader.  I noticed during a break that the one that was docked stopped metering.  It would not pass iPad audio to the mains for our break music, which sucked, but we kept the break short and went into our second set.

Couldn't wait around to troubleshoot.  Bummed, but don't really feel like it's a complete failure, since the show just went on.

Same thing here.  Mackie told me to re install firmware but it didn't help.  I found the fastest way to recover is to briefly unplug the docked device then it will recover.  I sent Mackie another email but no response.  I haven't had much time lately but my next step is a phone call.  Smh.

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #143 on: April 25, 2014, 01:37:54 AM »

Hey Rick - do you leave the break music playing on the docked iPad and just mute the iPad channel. I usually don't have problems if I go into the music player app and stop the playback - but if I leave it playing it happens.

Cheers

Rick Scofield

• Padawan
« Reply #144 on: April 25, 2014, 03:01:54 PM »
I don't recall if I had stopped the iPad playback app, or just paused it.  Strange thing was that I could re-open the music app and hit play and I could hear the playback in my IEMs (thru Master Fader/dl1608), but I had no meters reflected on the docked iPad, and could not control the faders.

Sting

• Padawan
« Reply #145 on: April 28, 2014, 10:17:07 AM »
I don't recall if I had stopped the iPad playback app, or just paused it.  Strange thing was that I could re-open the music app and hit play and I could hear the playback in my IEMs (thru Master Fader/dl1608), but I had no meters reflected on the docked iPad, and could not control the faders.

I sent an email to Mackie support with a link to this page noting that you and I have the exact same symptoms.   Once they review it,  I will call them. 

Sting

• Padawan
« Reply #146 on: April 28, 2014, 11:03:44 PM »
Here is Mackie's response:

Hi,

All that can be tried is doing the firmware reinstall, reinstalling Master Fader or trying a different iPad. At this point if none of those work, it will need to be sent to our DL service center for diagnosis and repair. If you want to go with that option, please reply back with the following information along with your sales receipt. We will then issue you a number that you will give the service center when you contact them.

First and Last name:
Phone#:
Shipping Address:

Serial Number:

facebook.com/Mackie facebook.com/AmpegUSA
LOUD Technologies Inc.
16220 Woodinville-Redmond Rd. NE | Woodinville, WA 98072
Tech support: 800.898.3211

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #147 on: April 29, 2014, 01:37:51 AM »
Hummm sounds about right for Mackie. First they waste your time and then they ask you to send them their "manufacturer defective" product back to them. What fix? It's over a year now that they've known about this problem. If you're under warranty tell them to cut you a check or prove that it works 24/7.
When in doubt KISS

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #148 on: April 29, 2014, 04:05:38 AM »
You guys keep blaming Mackie as if the board is defective. It is not. Many dock connectors do not play well with ios. Especially when software changes take place. I have had hubs that used to work perfectly well but now get nailed constantly with unsupported device messages from my iPad. Does that mean the hub is defective? No it doesn't. Does that mean ios no longer supports it's full function? Yes.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #149 on: April 29, 2014, 04:18:47 AM »
I doubt that Mackie wouldn't do something about it in the long run.  Am I correct that a lot of the sync losses are occurring while docked?  (Are they working well when running WiFi?)   When I had a problem with one of the XLR/TRS connectors, Mackie sent me a replacement so I was actually out of a mixer for about 20 minutes.   If the unit had been out of warranty, I would have fixed it myself.  (Think I can handle a bad connector and some solder.)