Author Topic: docked iPad loses sync  (Read 105547 times)

Harpman

• Knight
  • “If music be the food of love, play on"
    • Stefani Entertainment
Re: docked iPad loses sync
« Reply #150 on: April 29, 2014, 05:00:24 AM »
You guys keep blaming Mackie as if the board is defective. It is not. Many dock connectors do not play well with ios. Especially when software changes take place. I have had hubs that used to work perfectly well but now get nailed constantly with unsupported device messages from my iPad. Does that mean the hub is defective? No it doesn't. Does that mean ios no longer supports it's full function? Yes.

Interesting enough, I hadn't had any sync issues until I upgraded to iOS 7.1.1.  I lost levels both Saturday and Sunday gigs, but interesting enough, it still said "Connected".  Undocking and rebooting the iPad did the trick.
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment
"We Bring Good Music to Life"

Ampli

• Knight
« Reply #151 on: April 29, 2014, 04:57:22 PM »
I close all apps and reboot the ipad before i start a gig.
Almost never have i reconnect,
When i forget to reboot and close the apps, then i got a lot of reconnections
Some how its a problem with open apps
And no i didnt upgrade yet

Tbranella

• Youngling
« Reply #152 on: April 30, 2014, 12:55:36 PM »
You guys keep blaming Mackie as if the board is defective. It is not. Many dock connectors do not play well with ios. Especially when software changes take place. I have had hubs that used to work perfectly well but now get nailed constantly with unsupported device messages from my iPad. Does that mean the hub is defective? No it doesn't. Does that mean ios no longer supports it's full function? Yes.

Interesting enough, I hadn't had any sync issues until I upgraded to iOS 7.1.1.  I lost levels both Saturday and Sunday gigs, but interesting enough, it still said "Connected".  Undocking and rebooting the iPad did the trick.

had the same thing happen last Saturday night at a wedding gig... it happened twice, once during each set.
it seemed to happen sometime after I hit the "record" button in master fader.

I have another gig this Saturday, I'm not going to record anything and I'm going to try closing all apps and rebooting the iPad before the gig.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 12:57:09 PM by Tbranella »

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #153 on: April 30, 2014, 01:30:07 PM »
Simple solution for now. Stop docking your iPads!

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #154 on: April 30, 2014, 03:42:13 PM »
Simple solution for now. Stop docking your iPads!
Simpler solution yet sell your DL and move on, right JR!
When in doubt KISS

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #155 on: April 30, 2014, 06:25:34 PM »
Hell yeah WK.

Sting

• Padawan
« Reply #156 on: May 02, 2014, 03:01:41 PM »
Ok.  I re installed Master Fader again on the docked iPad.  It has been running program material on the iPad channel for 48 hrs straight with numerous pauses by me and switching back and forth between the music app and MF.  Not one dropped connection.  At this point I have to consider my docked connection problem solved for now SMH.

So in summary:
1. Upgraded devices to MF 2.1  Resulted in docked iPad losing sink- no recovery
2.  Forced firmware re install on DL1608.  Same fatal result with docked iPad
3.  Re installed MF on docked iPad.   System stabilized for 48 hrs.

A side note here is that I had to perform this same scenario when we went to 2.0. And iOS 7.  One of our iPads would not connect.  I am not saying this will work for everyone but who knows?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 12:02:08 AM by Sting »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #157 on: May 02, 2014, 04:12:20 PM »
Been there done that same results, just give it a month or so then see if it holds.
When in doubt KISS

Sting

• Padawan
« Reply #158 on: June 10, 2014, 11:11:34 AM »
Apparently I spoke too soon.   >:(. The problem reared it's ugly head again the other night.  I am under warranty so I will send the damn thing to service center.  I already know they won't find anything wrong because it is software related IMO.   The only other alternative is to live with it and not use the dock.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 01:00:31 PM by Sting »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #159 on: June 12, 2014, 04:06:12 PM »
Why bother with the expense or time lost by sending it back. Mackie acknowledged the problem is software and when they find a solution you can fix it yourself. In the meantime only use it un-docked.
When in doubt KISS

Jkowtko

• Padawan
« Reply #160 on: June 12, 2014, 07:04:31 PM »
I assume Mackie will fix this one with high priority.  This is "system down" for people with only one docked iPad.

Fyi, it happened to me last night. 

The docked iPad had been "resyncing" itself once in a while, and finally in the last ten minutes of the performance it permanently lost connection to the DL.    The app was still operable, and the recording was uninterrupted, but the control surface connection was lost with apparently no way to revive it without undocking the iPad (and thus interrupting the recording) which I did not want to do.

Fortunately we had two other iPads connected via wifi, which we were using as our primary control surfaces, so no sweat on the docked iPad issues.

Which brings me to the question -- why bother with a docked iPad at all?  Why?  Because you have to dock an iPad if you want to record anything digitally from this board.  Which brings me to the question of -- why not have a USB recording jack rather than the iPad recording?  Hmmm ... that's the X32, isn't it?

I hope Mackie does something quickly here.  Forcing you to waste an iPad just for recording purposes without the ability to reliably also use it as a control surface, adds another $300-400 (cost of the 2nd iPad) to the operational cost of this board.

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #161 on: June 12, 2014, 07:34:34 PM »
iPod touch 5G+ or several generations of iPhone will also dock and record, I use my iPod touch 5G for now when I need it but, as it will become useless for MF with the next upgrade ('cos it'll only support iOS 6) I live in hope that it may still work for record and playback.

There USB option is not available, at least until DL1608 mk2 (not including a USB port was a bad move IMHO) so we're stuck with what we've got (which is still more than we could have dreamed of 3 years ago without spending 10x the money).
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 07:38:54 PM by sam.spoons »

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #162 on: June 12, 2014, 07:36:30 PM »
J you don't need an iPad to record. iPhones and touches work too for recording through the dock.

Also you also need to dock if you want to use music directly through the dock and iPad channel. But I think this also works with the phone/touch.

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #163 on: June 12, 2014, 07:37:09 PM »
Sam we were typing at the same time.

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #164 on: June 12, 2014, 07:39:24 PM »