Author Topic: docked iPad loses sync  (Read 105558 times)

Jkowtko

• Padawan
Re: docked iPad loses sync
« Reply #165 on: June 12, 2014, 08:12:26 PM »
Okay, I do use an iPhone 4s 32GB as my main phone, so I guess I could record on that. 

I have been using the airport express for AirPlay wireless playback when I need it ... however,
Will MyFader also allow me to playback through the iPad channel?

Hate to lose the ability to tote my iPhone around and use MyFader to do sound checks, but if it frees up the second iPad then there may be times worth doing it.

In the meantime Mackie still needs to fix this problem.   And/or provide a chassis conversion kit that allows you to turn your DL into a rack mount unit with a docking cord or iPhone/iPod dock.

Thanks.  John

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #166 on: June 12, 2014, 08:26:00 PM »

There USB option is not available, at least until DL1608 mk2 (not including a USB port was a bad move IMHO) so we're stuck with what we've got (which is still more than we could have dreamed of 3 years ago without spending 10x the money).

Actually  a USB V1.1 port is part of the 30pin connector so a paddle board like the one for the lightning connector is quite possible. Leave the control part with the WiFi and just use the USB for recording/playback and charging. It just needs a real hardware USB transceiver that can handle the USB spec. even if it's only V1.1.
When in doubt KISS

Sting

• Padawan
« Reply #167 on: June 18, 2014, 04:14:51 PM »
Ok .  Mackie has now admitted there is a problem but they  have not isolated the cause.    They are sending me a new mixer.   I would not bother emailing but calling them direct.   They were very helpful.  They can not guarantee however that the same problem will not occur with the replacement.

Mike

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #168 on: June 18, 2014, 04:36:13 PM »
You would almost think that the 30 pin connector board might be the problem.  Is anyone having this problem with the lightning connector?  The adapter board is newer and might have been designed differently.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #169 on: June 20, 2014, 02:49:01 AM »
Asked and answered, no difference.
When in doubt KISS

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #170 on: August 24, 2014, 05:17:10 PM »
Just an update, my 3rd DL1608 is now dropping sync frequently. I don't disconnect it, because I'm recording. Sometimes it successfully resyncs after a few minutes of blank meters. Sometimes not. I'm really ready for QSC to come out with theirs.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #171 on: August 24, 2014, 09:52:29 PM »
Get ready from what I hear if you didn't pre-order you'll be waiting.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/touchmix/id898402638?mt=8
For practice meantime. ;)
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #172 on: August 25, 2014, 02:34:05 PM »
So even with QSC, how do we know that we aren’t going to run into teething issues similar to Mackie? All these new small format digital mixers are potentially going to mess up until the software/hardware bugs are ironed out. Yes QSC does have a good name and their products are good, so hopefully the first little bugs will be swiftly corrected.  It’s like playing Russian Roulette. You want them to work ‘cause they’re so cool and wireless mixing is amazing. But for me there’s that little nagging doubt.

I know some have not had any issues at all with their DL’s and a lot have, myself included. But when you’ve just received your 3rd new DL and it’s acting up, what does this say? Mackie has a big problem. (I know, Captain Obvious here) Based on postings here, I am seriously considering another product.  And with the uncertainty of small digital mixers like Mackie, for me at least I am considering analog. Actually using my ZED10 for now. But that X32 Rack is looking better all the time, hmmmmm. Sure, there's the uncertainty factor with this one too, but haven't heard of any major fails yet since it was released.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 02:38:51 PM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #173 on: August 25, 2014, 02:58:57 PM »
Would be watching for the first complaints from others.  Had my docked ipad lose sync at rehearsal.  rebooted the ipad and things went fine from there.  Didn't have my iPad mini connected up like I normally do.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #174 on: August 25, 2014, 03:28:55 PM »
KM in a few weeks mine will be a two year old. It is all about a company's support system and philosophy. Mackie's unfortunately is dismal with their Digital mixer lines, not just the DL. Software will always have a few bugs but response from the manufacturer is what counts. A year and a half is way past any reasonable response. QSC is in it for the long haul and as they stated on their forum other sizes are to follow. I doubt that they would drag their heels if they expect to be a player in this field. Think about this. Where are Mackie's other size digital mixers, two years is a long time for additional models.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 03:33:41 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Sting

• Padawan
« Reply #175 on: September 18, 2014, 02:56:01 PM »
Mackie sent me a new mixer and I still lose sync while docked.   I now undock during sets and re dock for charging during breaks.  SMH.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #176 on: September 18, 2014, 03:27:21 PM »
Yah, I don't normally have this issue because I have two iPads and the that one stays docked is usually at 100% charge. I didn't charge that one up before my gig last weekend and had all sorts of connection problems with it. I'm now wondering if it is the fast charge that is screwing up the communications. Someone posted that they cut the charging line in their extension cable and had good connection. AFAIK the DL1608 is the only iPad connectivity device made that fast charges while passing data back and forth? Rather than completely disabling charging I wonder if it would be fine if we just disabled the fast charging but allowed slow charging - I believe there is just a "fast charge enable" pin on the 30 pin connector that would need to be disconnected, dunno how that works on the lighting connector. It'd be really cool if those of us with the 30 pin could just cut a trace on the connector daughterboard and magically have all our connectivity issues go away :) .
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 03:30:48 PM by RoadRanger »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #177 on: September 18, 2014, 07:26:11 PM »
I wish it was that easy but the charging info is sent via the USB +- lines with varying voltage levels. See pinout on 30 pin connector.
http://www.allpinouts.org/index.php/Apple_iPod,_iPad_and_iPhone_dock
Note the analog audio lines are not used by the DL. Also be aware that the female connector shown is upside down from the DL's, check where the contacts are.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 07:33:52 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #178 on: September 18, 2014, 08:08:09 PM »
Maybe a series resistor on the power line would work just as well?

Sting

• Padawan
« Reply #179 on: September 18, 2014, 08:17:56 PM »
Yah, I don't normally have this issue because I have two iPads and the that one stays docked is usually at 100% charge. I didn't charge that one up before my gig last weekend and had all sorts of connection problems with it. I'm now wondering if it is the fast charge that is screwing up the communications. Someone posted that they cut the charging line in their extension cable and had good connection. AFAIK the DL1608 is the only iPad connectivity device made that fast charges while passing data back and forth? Rather than completely disabling charging I wonder if it would be fine if we just disabled the fast charging but allowed slow charging - I believe there is just a "fast charge enable" pin on the 30 pin connector that would need to be disconnected, dunno how that works on the lighting connector. It'd be really cool if those of us with the 30 pin could just cut a trace on the connector daughterboard and magically have all our connectivity issues go away :) .

Yes I run two iPads also...my first gen.  Stays docked/undocked at the mixer.  Not a huge deal to me because I will be going to the lightening tray eventually.