Live Performance & Production > Sound Reinforcement

Who runs an active system - who runs a passive?

<< < (6/8) > >>

Trshot:
Fully passive!
I went this way because we could be playing a small, large or outside venue. I have all the power necessary for everything in a 12 space amp rack. I run all JBL cabs,  MR515 tops for all venues and will add one or two of my SR 4718 or MR528 bottoms as required. I also run 4 monitors with this set up.....

ijpengelly:
All active here, mix of gear:

Pair of Mackie SRM 1521
Pair of RCF ART 312a
Pair of EV SbA760
Pair of Mackie SRM350 (used as monitors)
Pair of W Audio SW12a (monitors)

Prefer the ease of set up and being able to reduce the number of cables I have to carry. The majority of the speakers have very few controls on them, so typically it is just a case of checking the gains and that none of the line/mic switches have been depressed. With the band I normally engineer for I wil typically just use a single EV bin linked to the RCF tops and run the SRM350s as monitors. In the 14 years of engineering I've never had any one fiddle with the settings (monitors or FoH) during a gig. I have had people drunk and clearly a bit numb to their surroundings knocking the speakers round on their stands :-) 

Greg C.:
Technically speaking, speakers don't need to be self-powered to be "active". It's a misnomer started by Mackie marketing (of course). My main PA is all non self-powered boxes. But the system is an active 5-way system with separate amp channels for each driver band-pass. Passive implies that the speakers have a passive crossover network that divides the band-pass signals post amplifier.

Glad to be back!

P.S. you know you ALL missed my pedantic, über detailed posts, especially Jerrylee!

Trshot:

--- Quote from: Greg C. on April 06, 2013, 12:50:28 AM ---Technically speaking, speakers don't need to be self-powered to be "active". It's a misnomer started by Mackie marketing (of course). My main PA is all non self-powered boxes. But the system is an active 5-way system with separate amp channels for each driver band-pass. Passive implies that the speakers have a passive crossover network that divides the band-pass signals post amplifier.

Glad to be back!

P.S. you know you ALL missed my pedantic, über detailed posts, especially Jerrylee!

--- End quote ---

Haha, nice post Greg I'll be passive and let JL respond!

ijpengelly:
Good point Greg!  :lol:

All self powered (and active) here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version