Author Topic: SKB rack shelf anyone?  (Read 3784 times)

abzurd

SKB rack shelf anyone?
« on: November 04, 2013, 05:52:20 PM »

I currently don't have my mixer rack mounted, but am considering it. Has anyone used the SKB 1SKB-VS-2? At $39 it's less than 1/2 the cost of the Mackie shelf. I'll just drill my own holes in it. I just have a hard time paying $100 for the real thing when it's just a piece of metal.

Wynnd

• Master
Re: SKB rack shelf anyone?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 08:21:46 PM »
I've got the Mackie version and yea it's a bit pricey.  For a top rack mount, it's a pretty good deal.  Leaves the mixer partly recessed and in my case that leaves room for the mixer's connections to be left hooked up when I put the lid back on.  It's pretty heavy for a light weight mixer too.  Two things to think about.  first is making sure you get the right size screws and lock washers.  (spring type.)  There was a warning about overtightening the screws.  (Tighten until the lock washers are flat.)  I'd just make sure that you have enough room under any lids for your rack.  (I do like the extra space to leave some things hooked up.  Outputs, wireless receivers that are mounted in the rack.) 

tombell30075

• Initiate
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 12:54:25 AM »
Hi, first I'd like to say that I'm new here, so please excuse any impropper etiquitte.   I searched for my exact issue, but didn't see anything.  This is the closest I found.
I'm using DL1608 mounted atop an Oddessy P.A. rack case (with the hinged top), along with the OE Mackie rack mount that you're refering to, but I can't close the top while leaving some stuff plugged in.  I either need to build a custom rack mount that allows the mixer to sit lower or somehow re-engineer the Oddessy rack hinged top, neither of which sounds like a fun project to me.  Are there other rack mounts or Oddessy top modifications for the DL1608 that would allow it to sit low enough to be able to leave my snake, outputs, monitor sends etc plugged in while the cover in latched down?
Thanks in advance for any advice you might shed on this subject.

musicman7722

• Knight
    • Triple Play
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 02:46:29 AM »
Here is what I did a few years ago with the same sort of unit.  I took the hinges and latches off the top.  Then I got enough 1"x1" pine and cut it to add 1" around the bottom of the top lid.  I just screwed the pieces on.  Then I took the lid and realigned it and screwed the hardware back on.  worked like a charm and I gaine 1" of ceiling inside.

Chris