Author Topic: Master/My Fader V2.0 Are Here!  (Read 94635 times)

Harpman

• Knight
  • “If music be the food of love, play on"
    • Stefani Entertainment
Re: Master/My Fader V2.0 Are Here!
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2013, 02:14:13 PM »
Pre-DSP with LR Mute OFF is going to be a HUGE benefit for my setup. As someone else posted, being able to monkey with monitors without sharing that with the entire room is awesome. Being able to change the reverb to PRE-Fader and have only effected instruments without turning them up louder in the mains is another biggie for me.

On the other hand, NOT having seperate LR EQs in any scenario might be nice to have but just not a game changer.

Lee, totally agree with you here.  One thing I've never been able to figure out is why when you mute the REV and DLY on the individual channel strip, it doesn't mute on the overall channel strip.  Anyone want to chime in here?
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment
"We Bring Good Music to Life"

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2013, 02:53:36 PM »
I'm not getting the complaint about the channel linking.  I was thinking that might be nice for my two keyboards, then the EQs became the same.  I haven't had it hooked up to an output yet, so maybe that's what I'm not understanding.  I did think that when linked the channels would output to different sides and that wouldn't work for me.  Will allow myself some extra time Friday when setting up for the gig.  I don't think channel linking will be much help for me personally.   The mutes, pre-dsp and channel views are all big pluses.  (For me and probably everyone else.)   

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2013, 03:00:26 PM »
Stereo channel linking is only useful for stereo sources going to a stereo PA or recording - and they didn't get it quite right anyways as you need the option of having a "width" control instead of a "pan" or "balance" control. Those mixers I've used that had stereo linking all had width controls so you can blend some of the left into the right and vis versa.

LeeSteel

• Super Lee
  • Padawan
    • Lee Steel
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2013, 03:37:19 PM »
Stereo channel linking is only useful for stereo sources going to a stereo PA or recording - and they didn't get it quite right anyways as you need the option of having a "width" control instead of a "pan" or "balance" control. Those mixers I've used that had stereo linking all had width controls so you can blend some of the left into the right and vis versa.

I have my external audio source running into 2 channels that I have now linked. I don't think that I had realized that the audio source L & R were now flattened to a MONO mix. If that is true, that's not gonna work for me either.  :o
Plug up one ear and make it mono!

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2013, 04:12:00 PM »

I have my external audio source running into 2 channels that I have now linked. I don't think that I had realized that the audio source L & R were now flattened to a MONO mix. If that is true, that's not gonna work for me either.  :o

That is not the case, if you link two channels they become a stereo pair, the input of the lower numbered channel feeds the left main output and the higher numbered channel feeds the right main output. As RR says the pan control does become a balance control as opposed to 'width'.

LeeSteel

• Super Lee
  • Padawan
    • Lee Steel
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2013, 04:16:54 PM »

That is not the case, if you link two channels they become a stereo pair, the input of the lower numbered channel feeds the left main output and the higher numbered channel feeds the right main output. As RR says the pan control does become a balance control as opposed to 'width'.

PFEW! For a minute I thought I had this totally wrong.

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2013, 04:55:32 PM »
How exactly do you do this?  I cannot see how to mute individual channels just in the mains.
Select each aux "layer" and press the "Pre Fader" button to drop down a menu - unselect "Use LR Mute" :) .

Sweet. Thanks RR.

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2013, 05:31:31 PM »

which exactly the implementation of channel linking that I hoped for. My primary application is stereo playback from an external device.

LeeSteel

• Super Lee
  • Padawan
    • Lee Steel
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2013, 05:41:46 PM »

which exactly the implementation of channel linking that I hoped for. My primary application is stereo playback from an external device.

So to dubunk some earlier quote, it's not a MONO pair, it's STEREO IN STEREO OUT with a common eq. Fine by me!  :D

JMc

• Padawan
« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2013, 06:49:30 PM »
Just to verify, my understanding is that all the 1/4" aux sends coming out of the board are balanced TRS connectors, right?

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2013, 06:51:03 PM »
Just to verify, my understanding is that all the 1/4" aux sends coming out of the board are balanced TRS connectors, right?
Correct :)

JMc

• Padawan
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2013, 06:57:10 PM »
Thank you.  And I am going to assume that most, if not all pro PA amps are using either XLR or 1/4" TRS balanced ins, so I will be out looking for some TRS to XLR or TRS to TRS patch cables today, because my intention is to run a linked stereo pair of AUX outputs to the PA for the FOH mix and reserve the MAIN outs for a recording mix only and see how that works out for awhile.  I may even run the main outs out to a split pair into my in-ear monitor transmitter so I can monitor the stereo recording mix as we're playing.  Ah...  Looking forward to more experimentation and fun...

Stratoblaster

• Youngling
« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2013, 07:29:42 PM »
I like the 2.0 update! Great job Mackie! Many good things indeed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2013, 07:33:30 PM »

So to dubunk some earlier quote, it's not a MONO pair, it's STEREO IN STEREO OUT with a common eq. Fine by me!  :D
My bad I didn't write a book about Mono, Dual Mono, Stereo but if you want you can read about it here:   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereophonic_sound
and many other audio books.
My point was simply that the implementation was poor. Reading the wants at Mackie's website again they missed the boat by a mile. Implementing a narrow and incorrect stereo linking has left us without a lot of other possible uses for their limited implementation. Not to mention the extra work to get this. Copying a preset to a channel should not have been a hardship. Including the processing of two channels thru a single "DSP" as Mackie calls it (they obviously don't know how to separate eq's from dynamics. More of the one size fits all mentality like phantom power). If your not using shows your not using this mixer or you only have one setup. If you want your true stereo to pass thru this mess best turn of all "DSP" processing otherwise the DL will modify it and you may not like the results. That's just the input side of things. On the output side forget trying to set up a crossover since Mackie has that somewhere near the bottom of their list. Once again dual mono out unless you turn off all "DSP" processing. We used to call this cripple ware in my software days. Nothing like shooting yourself in the foot. That's what you exited about?
When in doubt KISS

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2013, 07:59:14 PM »
Once again dual mono out unless you turn off all "DSP" processing. We used to call this cripple ware in my software days.

I don't think I understand what you're saying. What's dual mono?

Mackie's linking implementation is identical to industry standard Yamaha's, with the exception that in Yamaha's you can decide to only link some of the parameters, and you can do offsets, nether of which functions I have a use for. When I link channels, I generally want them identical except for panning. Mackie's implementation is exactly what I want in an low cost entry-level mixer. As a bonus, the redundant channel disappears, making more room onscreen. Brilliant.

Global phantom isn't a one size fits all mentality, it's a common cost savings measure.