Author Topic: Master/My Fader V2.0 Are Here!  (Read 94560 times)

JMc

• Padawan
Re: Master/My Fader V2.0 Are Here!
« Reply #75 on: November 13, 2013, 01:04:45 AM »
Despite all the ankle-biting and hand-wringing that seems to go on about Mackie, I am thrilled with this mixer and the capabilities it has for the price.  I've been able to generate amazing quality stereo mix recordings on the fly.  Maybe I'm too easily pleased, but so far, I've been nothing but thrilled.   I do have a question though.  Our PA amp has 1/4" unbalanced inputs.  I want to go from a pair of AUX outs to feed the FOH mix.  Do I need to find cables that go balanced TRS 1/4" coming out of the board to unbalanced tip/sleeve 1/4" to feed the amp?  Or can I just get away with using unbalanced 1/4" connectors on both sides of the cables and not lose any gain or have other issues to contend with?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 01:07:01 AM by JMc »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #76 on: November 13, 2013, 01:40:28 AM »
Friends

I have read this entire post twice but I still have one question.  I have downloaded 2 on my iphone and ipad and give it a quick look over.  So will 2 now allow me to create stereo aux outs for iem in such a way that the user may pan different channels partially or entirely to the left or right as in a main mix?

Thank you

Chris
All channels are able to be paned to linked buses (Main L&R, A1&A2, A3&A4, A5&A6). All others pan icons are balance controls see pg. 162 of the new manual. The short answer in MF yes.
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #77 on: November 13, 2013, 01:50:32 AM »
I do have a question though.  Our PA amp has 1/4" unbalanced inputs.  I want to go from a pair of AUX outs to feed the FOH mix.  Do I need to find cables that go balanced TRS 1/4" coming out of the board to unbalanced tip/sleeve 1/4" to feed the amp?  Or can I just get away with using unbalanced 1/4" connectors on both sides of the cables and not lose any gain or have other issues to contend with?
Trial and error method at worst case you'll need a dual DI box. I ran 50' unbalanced to a powered speaker in a quiet environment, you may not be so lucky. Not using Mackie's power supply on the mixer( see pin one problem).
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #78 on: November 13, 2013, 01:57:01 AM »
It sounds like what WK154 REALLY wants is SUB GROUPING and not Channel Linking.
« Last Edit: Today at 02:25:18 PM by LeeSteel »

Actually I want DCA's that part of the group concept Mackie started but left for V3. That's what I already have in my X32.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 01:59:21 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #79 on: November 13, 2013, 05:07:21 PM »
Please - less knit-picking, it's farcical.
Mackie does seem to be committed to "finishing" it - it's our job to let them know what we most want done first :) .

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #80 on: November 13, 2013, 05:12:09 PM »

Actually I want DCA's that part of the group concept Mackie started but left for V3. That's what I already have in my X32.
I want both - you need groups in order to do matrixes - and center fills, delay stacks, remote-room/recording/broadcast feeds are becoming more common these days even at the lower levels of production :) .

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #81 on: November 13, 2013, 05:20:12 PM »
Anybody notice if you have multiple ios devices if you can do different view groups from each ipad without causing issues?  Is this something that you can only do from one Master Fader?  (My 'bone player downloaded Master Fader and not My Fader for his ipad.  I wanted a spare Master Fader available as a backup anyway and nothing he's done has caused any problems.)  Prior to the last upgrade, the 'bone player has been using his copy of Master Fader to control his monitor mixes.  Will this cause problems now?  I'm pretty sure that he would like to have his own view because he's mostly concerned with the IEM mix for the horn section. 

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #82 on: November 13, 2013, 05:42:34 PM »
Please - less knit-picking, it's farcical.
Mackie does seem to be committed to "finishing" it - it's our job to let them know what we most want done first :) .
I'm all for constructive criticism, especially for product improvement sake RR :)
The older I get, the better I was!

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #83 on: November 13, 2013, 05:48:43 PM »
Anybody notice if you have multiple ios devices if you can do different view groups from each ipad without causing issues?  Is this something that you can only do from one Master Fader?  (My 'bone player downloaded Master Fader and not My Fader for his ipad.  I wanted a spare Master Fader available as a backup anyway and nothing he's done has caused any problems.)  Prior to the last upgrade, the 'bone player has been using his copy of Master Fader to control his monitor mixes.  Will this cause problems now?  I'm pretty sure that he would like to have his own view because he's mostly concerned with the IEM mix for the horn section.
I believe you can. You might want to "lock down" what he can and can't do on his iPad.

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #84 on: November 13, 2013, 05:56:04 PM »
Our PA amp has 1/4" unbalanced inputs.  I want to go from a pair of AUX outs to feed the FOH mix.  Do I need to find cables that go balanced TRS 1/4" coming out of the board to unbalanced tip/sleeve 1/4" to feed the amp?  Or can I just get away with using unbalanced 1/4" connectors on both sides of the cables and not lose any gain or have other issues to contend with?

What model of PA amp do you have and how far from the mixer is amp going to be?
Procrastinators of the World, Contemplate Uniting!

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #85 on: November 13, 2013, 05:59:21 PM »
Trial and error method at worst case you'll need a dual DI box. I ran 50' unbalanced to a powered speaker in a quiet environment, you may not be so lucky. Not using Mackie's power supply on the mixer( see pin one problem).

A DI might not have enough output depending on the amp's input sensitivity, so an iso transformer with the ability to unbalance the secondary might be the call for longer wire runs. Of course I'm sure you'll recommend the Jensen ;)
Procrastinators of the World, Contemplate Uniting!

CyberHippy

• Padawan
  • Bass Bass Bass
« Reply #86 on: November 13, 2013, 06:27:52 PM »
Our PA amp has 1/4" unbalanced inputs.  I want to go from a pair of AUX outs to feed the FOH mix.  Do I need to find cables that go balanced TRS 1/4" coming out of the board to unbalanced tip/sleeve 1/4" to feed the amp?  Or can I just get away with using unbalanced 1/4" connectors on both sides of the cables and not lose any gain or have other issues to contend with?

What model of PA amp do you have and how far from the mixer is amp going to be?

You absolutely want to use all-balanced cables, there have been many reports of people getting noise on Aux-channels when using un-balanced cabling.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #87 on: November 13, 2013, 06:32:41 PM »
Best thing to do is get another amp - any amp with only unbalanced inputs isn't a proper PA amp. Used ones start around $150 these days.

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #88 on: November 13, 2013, 06:50:38 PM »
Best thing to do is get another amp - any amp with only unbalanced inputs isn't a proper PA amp. Used ones start around $150 these days.
+1
The older I get, the better I was!

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #89 on: November 13, 2013, 07:51:07 PM »

I want both - you need groups in order to do matrixes - and center fills, delay stacks, remote-room/recording/broadcast feeds are becoming more common these days even at the lower levels of production :) .
WOW your setting the bar way to high for Mackie. I know were you're going and it starts with X and ends with rack. No point fighting city hall. Time to sell some of your collection just like me.
When in doubt KISS