Author Topic: Master/My Fader V2.0 Are Here!  (Read 95490 times)

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
Re: Master/My Fader V2.0 Are Here!
« Reply #135 on: November 17, 2013, 02:40:02 AM »
Shipping and tax is a real killer. The Rack is $1499 and the DL is $999 that about $500 difference yet the iT32 stage box is $1750 cheaper? Import/Export anyone? The lump is to keep the tail from wagging the dog.

Bring a bigger suitcase on your next trip to the UK ;)
The older I get, the better I was!

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #136 on: November 17, 2013, 02:44:15 AM »
It's a big lump of a thing too, they're a bit more affordable over this side of the pond £3500 ($5250) - the DL is still selling for £950 ($1500) over here. The x32 rack is in stock and available for £1300 ($1950)   
What price for quality, eh? Btw, it's a lot more than I would need or could justify at present. I'll have to make do with a QU-16 when it's my turn :)

Looks like they did a nice job on the QU-16. Most of my gigs I spec the gear and it just shows up. Under those my Yamaha LS9 has handled it all for a while. More and more, though, I'm bringing out this little tiny Mackie. I love the fact that when I fly, the Mackie can come along, not in baggage, not even in my carryon, but in a briefcase as the personal that you get in addition to the carryon. Ridiculous. It's a fun time to be in a tech field.
It's amazing for the size. Like I muted before, imagine the 8 channel DL had been made for the iPad mini. That would be some upgrade from an A&H Zed 10FX used for our tiny pub gigs ;D
The older I get, the better I was!

ChiroVette

• Padawan
« Reply #137 on: November 17, 2013, 03:38:53 AM »
Wow, I am really impressed with this update and all the incredible features Mackie brought to the table.

Regarding the groups, I was looking all over the place for fader control of each group's volume, say for raising/lowering all the drums at once or all the vocals. But it looks like this is not part of the groups and from what I am seeing, it seems like this is really a feature isolated to muting groups? Is this true? Not complaining, just asking. Would love to have a screen within the special access screen with four faders, one for each group.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #138 on: November 17, 2013, 04:17:04 AM »
No groups at this time.  It's on my Wish list for MF Ver 3.0   Still thanks to Mackie for a lot of requested features and not screwing up the ipad's stability.  Wish all software upgrades were this good.  (Written while my ipad was updating to ios 7.0.4  Hope that's stable too but I don't have any gigs for a few weeks.)

ChiroVette

• Padawan
« Reply #139 on: November 17, 2013, 04:26:03 AM »
No groups at this time.  It's on my Wish list for MF Ver 3.0   Still thanks to Mackie for a lot of requested features and not screwing up the ipad's stability.  Wish all software upgrades were this good.  (Written while my ipad was updating to ios 7.0.4  Hope that's stable too but I don't have any gigs for a few weeks.)

Oh yeah, no doubt. That's why I wanted to make it clear I wasn't complaining, because it really is an awesome update. Would love actual groups with fader control eventually, if they are doable, of course. But Mackie really listened to a lot of their customers with this huge update.

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #140 on: November 18, 2013, 01:57:38 AM »
I did two shows on the weekend with My Fader V2.0 and I just love the update particularly the pre dsp aux sends and the hide and mute groups.

Prior to this and despite being real careful with compression on vocals, I was getting occasional squeals in the foldbacks - but now, beautiful!

Well done Mackie!

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #141 on: November 18, 2013, 10:06:29 AM »
How do you get the vocals to sound good in the FB given that you have no eq available if you go pre dsp?

ijpengelly

• Knight
  • Weekend Warrior
« Reply #142 on: November 18, 2013, 11:06:42 AM »
I did my first show with V2 on saturday and the view and mute groups, combined with the channel linking were a bonus. The latter was to run an MP3 input. I was slightly frustrated with the quick panel pushing the screen over though and found if I was on the effects page having to hide the quick access panel, then show it again to get to the "return to mixer" button. Overall it was stable and I had a good gig.

Haven't tried pre-EQ for the foldback yet, not really had time to experiment. I guess in answer to your queston Sam, you could use the Aux EQ, though this isn't ideal if you have a mix of channels in your foldback.

In the whole debate about DCA, etc. I think being able to link channels (more than two) without having common DSP processing would be great, especially for drums where I typically run 5-8mics and it would be nice to be turn the whole kit up and down, but process each channel individually. Essentially how I used to run groups on my Mackie 24.4 that I had before this.

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #143 on: November 18, 2013, 11:49:16 AM »
I don't know how useful the pre-DSP aux settings are just yet, nice to be able to compress the vocals in the FOH without having to on the monitors but if the mic in question needs any eq you're stuffed :eek: My singer is very particular about his vocal sound and if I can't get it right in his monitor he isn't a happy bunny  :(

ChiroVette

• Padawan
« Reply #144 on: November 18, 2013, 02:06:13 PM »
I don't know how useful the pre-DSP aux settings are just yet, nice to be able to compress the vocals in the FOH without having to on the monitors but if the mic in question needs any eq you're stuffed :eek: My singer is very particular about his vocal sound and if I can't get it right in his monitor he isn't a happy bunny  :(

Yeah I agree. I think its a very useful feature for most sound engineers, because "effects in the monitors" is something that a lot of sound men frown on to begin with. But I would probably never use a pre-DSP aux send in my band because all the singers in my band want reverb/delay into the monitors. Also, I find that I use very light compression on the vocals and my band's stage volume is not out of control, so what little compression gets sent to the monitor wedges in a post DSP Aux Send isn't causing huge problems.

I played a show this weekend and I wanted to get one of the singer's wedges a lot louder. It is an old JBL MR805 wedge (That's an MR from the '90's NOT even an MRX lol) and I feed it with a Crown Powerbase 2 (also very old, from the '90's). Anyway, because of the small size of the venue, the mic positions (three singer's mic's all feeding back into that monitor in particular) it was hard to get any kind of gain before feedback. So during the break I just hunkered down and rang out the monitor, getting rid of a bunch of frequencies with the DL1608's Graphic EQ for that aux send.

The result was that, while I carved the shit out of the signal going into that monitor, I was able to blast that monitor really loud for him. Because I really over-killed the "ringing out," that would not have been a good FOH signal, but it worked for him, particularly for his vocals. This was a rarity, by the way. I usually get plenty of power to the monitors without FB, but I think the room was just very lively.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 02:07:49 PM by ChiroVette »

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #145 on: November 18, 2013, 02:28:56 PM »
I'm still using post-EQ myself. I only use the dynamics to do peak limiting on the vocals anyways so that doesn't interfere with the monitors. However I'd prefer post-EQ pre-comp and per-channel selection of the tap points like you can do on the X32 and most other decent digital mixers.

WhatsThatSound

• Youngling
« Reply #146 on: November 18, 2013, 03:48:22 PM »
First dive into the 2.0 pool over the weekend and only noticed 2 issue's, the main one was I lost the ability to type in values for delay ms and resynching from my djay program to the DL was noticeably slower, there is a quite the lag before the splash screen pops up and then down out of the way.
I am a bit pout off by the fact that even though they are easier to get to the delay/reverb mute on new access should be just one button, I wanted a quick way to mute effects between songs, who leaves one or the other on all the time. The mute and group assigns to setup is a bit confusing.
Overall, nice update...

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #147 on: November 18, 2013, 06:10:42 PM »
I am a bit pout off by the fact that even though they are easier to get to the delay/reverb mute on new access should be just one button, I wanted a quick way to mute effects between songs, who leaves one or the other on all the time.
Yah, they didn't get that quite right - guess they've never taken a close look at a MixWiz :( . OTOH it's better than it was, half way there ;) . I am unhappy that they took our "rude solo" indicator/button away, I had hoped to see the master FX mute button above or below it :( .
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 06:13:02 PM by RoadRanger »

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #148 on: November 18, 2013, 07:25:11 PM »
First dive into the 2.0 pool over the weekend and only noticed 2 issue's, the main one was I lost the ability to type in values for delay ms and resynching from my djay program to the DL was noticeably slower, there is a quite the lag before the splash screen pops up and then down out of the way.
I am a bit pout off by the fact that even though they are easier to get to the delay/reverb mute on new access should be just one button, I wanted a quick way to mute effects between songs, who leaves one or the other on all the time. The mute and group assigns to setup is a bit confusing.
Overall, nice update...

I found you can make a "mute group" that mutes both reverb and delay with one button push.

PeterKorg

• Padawan
« Reply #149 on: November 18, 2013, 07:31:12 PM »
First show on version 2 coming upon Saturday, then we have some big gigs coming up thro December, hope allis as good, already updated the DL took all of 3 minutes