Author Topic: Master/My Fader V2.0 Are Here!  (Read 94587 times)

stevegarris

• Knight
Re: Master/My Fader V2.0 Are Here!
« Reply #150 on: November 18, 2013, 08:32:47 PM »
I had my first show with 2.0 this past Saturday. All went well and the upgrade was no problem.

What I liked:
Quicker access to the comps, effects and EQ's.
Hiding channels not being used.
Can now mute a channel on the mains but leave the monitor active (disable LR Mute).

What I didn't like:
Quick access panel hides channel one, and "return to mixer button" - Mackie needs to fix this!
It seems to sinc a littler slower, as others have said.

I was surprised that I didn't really use the quick access panel that much. I also did not have live monitors (band now using in-ears).
It was one of our best shows yet and the sound was awesome!

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #151 on: November 18, 2013, 09:37:15 PM »
How do you get the vocals to sound good in the FB given that you have no eq available if you go pre dsp?

I use the GEQs on each aux send to eq the vocals - I usually run a seperate aux send per vocalist. This is pretty much how I did it before digital mixers came along - of course the advantage now is I don't need a rack full of GEQs.

I would be happy with post EQ pre compressor aux sends. Its the compressor I don't like in the foldback.

Cheers

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #152 on: November 18, 2013, 10:10:07 PM »
How do you get the vocals to sound good in the FB given that you have no eq available if you go pre dsp?

I use the GEQs on each aux send to eq the vocals - I usually run a seperate aux send per vocalist. This is pretty much how I did it before digital mixers came along - of course the advantage now is I don't need a rack full of GEQs.

I would be happy with post EQ pre compressor aux sends. Its the compressor I don't like in the foldback.

Cheers

Understood, and that'll work fine if you don't need anything else in the monitor but most people want more than just their vocal in the monitor so it's always going to be a compromise.

I have to say that's a small criticism of a great little mixer though. Something for MF V3 BenO?

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #153 on: November 18, 2013, 10:11:13 PM »
First dive into the 2.0 pool over the weekend and only noticed 2 issue's, the main one was I lost the ability to type in values for delay ms and resynching from my djay program to the DL was noticeably slower, there is a quite the lag before the splash screen pops up and then down out of the way.
I am a bit pout off by the fact that even though they are easier to get to the delay/reverb mute on new access should be just one button, I wanted a quick way to mute effects between songs, who leaves one or the other on all the time. The mute and group assigns to setup is a bit confusing.
Overall, nice update...

I found you can make a "mute group" that mutes both reverb and delay with one button push.

Genius  :lol:

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #154 on: November 19, 2013, 03:31:30 AM »
I found you can make a "mute group" that mutes both reverb and delay with one button push.
I set that up also - but found it of little use as you have to go to the QAP to hit a mute group button and the Reverb and Delay mutes are right there on the top of the QAP anyways.

Jkowtko

• Padawan
« Reply #155 on: November 19, 2013, 03:36:42 AM »
I set that up also - but found it of little use as you have to go to the QAP to hit a mute group button and the Reverb and Delay mutes are right there on the top of the QAP anyways.

This is where non-stereo adjacent channel linking might be nice ... link "fader/mute only" vs "stereo"

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #156 on: November 19, 2013, 03:44:28 AM »
This is where non-stereo adjacent channel linking might be nice ... link "fader/mute only" vs "stereo"
That wouldn't work for me - I independently adjust the reverb and delay faders per-song and sometimes only use one or the other on a particular song so also need the independent mutes.

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #157 on: November 19, 2013, 03:21:47 PM »
Everybody's got different applications. I use the delay for balcony speakers, or speakers at the rear of a long room.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #158 on: November 19, 2013, 03:52:52 PM »
I hadn't looked closely to the delay.  It's a single delay without repeat?  That's useful for time delayed speaker setups.  Did that in Denver's Civic Center Park one year for a rally using a Mackie CFX-12 mixer.  Worked like a charm for the narrow and long group that was avoiding standing on the grass.  (There was major construction at the amphitheater where this would normally have occurred.)

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #159 on: November 19, 2013, 03:54:45 PM »
I hadn't looked closely to the delay.  It's a single delay without repeat?
It can be - it has settings you can change.

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #160 on: November 19, 2013, 04:07:20 PM »
The routing for this costs you an aux and the use of the delay as an effect, but it's really handy.

Send everything at unity, post fader, to the delay. Set the delay to 0 regen and whatever delay time you want. Send only the delay, pre fader, to an unused aux. That aux output feeds the back of the room.

My default aux setup is 1-4 mons, 5 delay, and 6 subs.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #161 on: November 19, 2013, 05:07:56 PM »
Thanks for setting suggestions.  Losing an Aux under that situation isn't a problem.  I can't see myself needing a delayed sound run while needing all my Auxs. 

Jkowtko

• Padawan
« Reply #162 on: November 19, 2013, 05:32:21 PM »
And it looks like if you use a stereo Aux you can have a full stereo backfill.  Life is getting better :)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 05:37:28 PM by Jkowtko »

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #163 on: November 19, 2013, 05:36:15 PM »
Did my first stereo Aux for a secondary PA setup in the backline.  (Low volume situation.) Worked quite well. 

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #164 on: November 19, 2013, 06:44:30 PM »

Agreed. I didn't use it, because you can't just leave the Quick Access panel up at all times. I simply pulled the return faders down.