Author Topic: Master/My Fader V2.1 Wants and Speculation  (Read 13776 times)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Master/My Fader V2.1 Wants and Speculation
« on: October 21, 2013, 04:52:27 AM »
DCA's minimum 4 preferably 6.   Better control for live shows without excessive motion to control the mix. Selected like LR and Aux/FX's on main screen.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 03:51:12 PM by RoadRanger »
When in doubt KISS

ijpengelly

• Knight
  • Weekend Warrior
Re: Master/My Fader V3 Wants and Speculation
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 05:32:58 AM »
RTA or feedback detection and overlay. I'll keep it general as some people would like to see parametric EQ on the outputs.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 07:37:50 PM by RoadRanger »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 06:01:57 AM »
Make the DL compatible with Studio Six Digital Audio app.  This would save a lot of effort on Mackie's part and give pro tools for setup.  http://www.studiosixdigital.com/audiotools
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 07:38:03 PM by RoadRanger »
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 11:56:44 AM »
HPF's on all the outputs. Perhaps a corresponding LPF available on at least Aux6 and the right out so you can do either stereo or mono aux fed subs without an external crossover.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 07:38:25 PM by RoadRanger »

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 07:33:37 PM »
TC or Lexicon reverbs. Though I just listened to a recording of last Fridays gig, direct to the docked iPad, and the reverb I used sounded very good indeed  ::) I'll try to post a link later.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 07:38:37 PM by RoadRanger »

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 10:00:16 PM »
A Master Mute button, visible on all pages. Mutes all outputs for emergency feedback control. One small button in a corner would do the trick.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 07:38:50 PM by RoadRanger »

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 10:07:03 PM »
 bit of a scary concept that, I can see the attraction but muting everything to defeat feedback is likely to appear somewhat unprofessional if you catch my drift... still as a last resort  :-[
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 07:41:19 PM by RoadRanger »

john54724

• Youngling
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 04:22:13 PM »
Undo button for every action, just the solution to Unintentional changes, but you don't know what you just moved or changed.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 07:39:03 PM by RoadRanger »

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 06:47:13 PM »
bit of a scary concept that, I can see the attraction but muting everything to defeat feedback is likely to appear somewhat unprofessional if you catch my drift... still as a last resort  :-[

This was a request of a friend of mine. Blew a monitor horn driver at a gig. The feedback, and inability to quickly get to the monitor controls is what appeared unprofessional. I would prefer 2 mute buttons. 1 for Mains and 1 for all 6 monitor sends.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 07:39:19 PM by RoadRanger »

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 06:54:24 PM »
This was a request of a friend of mine. Blew a monitor horn driver at a gig. The feedback, and inability to quickly get to the monitor controls is what appeared unprofessional. I would prefer 2 mute buttons. 1 for Mains and 1 for all 6 monitor sends.
At a minimum you should set up the "no clip" compressor preset on every output to help prevent blowing HF drivers.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 07:39:36 PM by RoadRanger »

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 07:22:32 PM »
At a minimum you should set up the "no clip" compressor preset on every output to help prevent blowing HF drivers.

That may or may not work depending on available amp power vs. the rms rating of the driver(s). If you set a compressor as a clip limiter and get solid feedback, you might still risk of cooking drivers. Unless the amp is sized so that it doesn't exceed the rms rating of the driver running at full power without clipping, you can still blow the driver. Most folks size their amps so that they're 1.5x to 2x the rms rating of the drivers (so-called "program power rating"). Feedback is essentially pure sine wave. Full power sign wave without clipping means your hammering the driver with maximum heating power the amp has to offer. If your amp is larger than the rms rating of the speaker, a few seconds of solid feedback could let out the magic smoke. If you set your compressor so that it's attenuating the signal to a level below the rms rating of the speaker, sure, you can save the speaker. But you have to measure and calculate that stuff to set it up correctly.

Also, most compressors won't work as brick wall limiters to kill transients even at fastest attack like the kind you get hot-plugging an unmuted condenser mic (a common cause of blown HF drivers). They usually let the initial attack through unless they have a "look-ahead" side chain setup. You only find those type of limiters on high end digital speaker processors (like XTA) or high end amps with built-in processing. As far as rms level protection goes, that also requires properly calibrated limiting to keep drivers safe. Again, the high end processors and amps will have that type of limiting along with the look-ahead peak limiters.

Bottom line, you can't trust regular compressors to protect speakers unless you set them up to the point where you're also waisting headroom/output for the speakers. and you can't rely on them to protect speakers from high power transients.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 07:39:50 PM by RoadRanger »
Procrastinators of the World, Contemplate Uniting!

ijpengelly

• Knight
  • Weekend Warrior
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 10:07:03 AM »
Perhaps on the quick access panel or at the very least on the effects page, a small section of user customisable effects pre-sets, maybe three, to allow quick changes to effects to be made between songs.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 07:40:03 PM by RoadRanger »

prosoundco guy

• Padawan
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 01:01:18 AM »
I didn't read anything about a switchable pad on the iPad channel.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 07:40:17 PM by RoadRanger »

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 06:55:55 PM »
I want independant control over which channels are pre and post whatever in an aux. In the monitors I'd want the vocals to be pre-dynamics and possibly post EQ, and most everything else post dynamics and EQ.

BTW a channel on the X32 products goes:
Gain, Delay, LPF, Gate, EQ, Compression, Fader
with possible aux send tap points of:
Pre-EQ, Post-EQ, Pre-Fader, and Post-Fader.

The DL1608 presently only does:
pre-DSP, pre-fader, and post-fader
and lacks the delay. I also don't know the actual order of the stuff in the LPF/Gate/EQ/Compression (AKA "DSP") block? Kinda unfortunate that the pre-DSP is pre-HPF and gate :( .
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 09:22:01 PM by RoadRanger »

Jkowtko

• Padawan
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 07:20:28 PM »
* +1 on DCAs ... seems like it would be relatively easy to do in the digital world ...

* Output channel grouping/DCA, OR be able to switch one of the Auxes to be mono output ... I use Aux 6 for center speaker on some gigs, would be nice to sync the volume control and mute with LR.

* record to iPad from one of the stereo Auxes instead of just LR.

* Be able to find and play back your recordings!!!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 07:40:43 PM by RoadRanger »