Author Topic: DL1608 Does not sync up when docked  (Read 39259 times)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: DL1608 Does not sync up when docked
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2013, 09:09:11 AM »
Leaving wine country today. If Cyberhippie were a winemaker he wouldn't be doing gigs believe me. Unless he read this post he also wouldn't know I was here. Now to the problem. Every other post lately is about sync issues. Our resident Mackie lurker by now should have gotten the hint that something is very wrong, Duh! Support by now has gotten enough requests to look into the problem so I would expect a maintenance update ASAP. By the way I thought you were using the Focusrite to do your recordings what changed? When I get back I will check and see if I also have the problem since I just updated and the iPad remained connected all of that time.
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2013, 03:21:47 PM »
You probably have done this, but just in case.  Did you go to the connections page and manually touched the DL1608 connection button?   Personally, I'm thinking that because it's not staying in the charging mode, that it is the DL1608's connector or connector circuit board.  Since they started putting lightning connector boards in and have created a upgrade kit for that part, the fix itself might be just a small board swap out.  Being that your board is probably still under warranty, you need to contact Mackie about this.  The website tech messaging didn't work for me, but an email directly to their tech support group worked quite well for me.  I'm not seeing any local tech support for this mixer, but Mackie is probably got somewhere that they at least look at the failures to make changes down the road. 

Wired4soundlive

• Youngling
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2013, 04:50:30 PM »
Okay update here.. And BTW, I do appreciate the responses thus far. Have not heard from support yet, so I went ahead and rebooted my IPAD.. It worked great after that. I shut it off and it went back to not syncing or recognizing the Ipad. When I turn it on now, right after it has been working, it gets the message "This accessory not supported by this Ipad." I can now get it to work when docked only if I reboot the Ipad and unplug the 1608. If I turn either off or only turn one off, it does not sync. The 1608 is brand new; I have only had it 4 days now. Really frustrating and just about to get a refund, but I really want a small digital board with these features. Any ideas (short of refunds) would be appreciated. BTW, familiar with digital boards as I have worked with X32, M7, Profile, etc.

thanks

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2013, 05:21:40 PM »
The way Mackie dealt with me on my mixer's failure was to ship me a replacement and allow me to ship my original back pre-paid.  They will bill you for the mixer if you don't send the original back quickly.  (I shipped mine the very next day.  I had 30 days, probably from their original shipping date.  It was easy to manage.)  Anyway, the end result is I was only out of a functional mixer for about an hour while I unmounted the old and mounted the new.  I can't complain.  There were no out of pocket expenses involved in the fix.   Just the time to contact and get a few responses.   If my mixer had been out of warranty, I would have just gotten a connector and put it in.  (1/4" portion of input 13 didn't work.  I need all 4 of those dual connectors working.  I'd like Mackie to start putting them across the board in the second row.  They've proven to be very useful.  If it's not too difficult, I'll be doing that after the warranty dies.)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2013, 06:01:05 PM »
  I need all 4 of those dual connectors working.  I'd like Mackie to start putting them across the board in the second row.  They've proven to be very useful.  If it's not too difficult, I'll be doing that after the warranty dies.)

That would require additional circuitry and not worth it. If it's just a matter of connector type then adapters are a simple solution. Caution is still required on phantom power and TRS's. Otherwise DI's are required.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 06:05:27 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2013, 06:08:09 PM »
Any ideas (short of refunds) would be appreciated. BTW, familiar with digital boards as I have worked with X32, M7, Profile, etc.
A X32 rack comes to mind but I don't know your budget.
When in doubt KISS

Wired4soundlive

• Youngling
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2013, 06:23:08 PM »
$$ is a consideration with the X32 rack. It is twice the amount I paid for the 1608. Trying not to get to much back into live sound like I did before but keep a hand in it and play a little music. LOL..

Harpman

• Knight
  • “If music be the food of love, play on"
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2013, 07:45:43 PM »
Leaving wine country today. If Cyberhippie were a winemaker he wouldn't be doing gigs believe me. Unless he read this post he also wouldn't know I was here. Now to the problem. Every other post lately is about sync issues. Our resident Mackie lurker by now should have gotten the hint that something is very wrong, Duh! Support by now has gotten enough requests to look into the problem so I would expect a maintenance update ASAP. By the way I thought you were using the Focusrite to do your recordings what changed? When I get back I will check and see if I also have the problem since I just updated and the iPad remained connected all of that time.

Then I take it your both big wine drinkers.  So am I!  Wish I can say our Cabs are as good as Northern CA, but there not.  I'm probably spoiled born and raised in SF.  Spent a lot of time in Napa (Yountville), Russian River, Gearnville. So on to the task at hand.

I did use the Focusrite and the recording came out great.  Just wanted a backup in case.  Here an untouched snippet I captured with the Focusrite and recorded in Sonar X3 last Wednesday.  All the outputs were from the AUX's (PreDSP).  AUX1 = VOX, AUX2 = VOX, AUX3 = VOX, AUX4 = Acoustic GTR 1, AUX5 = Acoustic GTR 2, AUX6 = Harmonica: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yaozdriowz76erf/Here%20Comes%20The%20Sun%20-%20Take%202.mp3

Wanted to use the Focusrite as my source and then into the inputs of the DL, but because of the 60Hz hum and potential latency issues, didn't want to risk it.  Still a work in progress.
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment
"We Bring Good Music to Life"

PeterKorg

• Padawan
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2013, 07:51:45 PM »
Glad that I didn't update from 6.1.3, one of our guys has updated but he does not dock, he uses it for his monitor, I've told my guys to stick with 6.1.3 until we are confident it's going to work properly.

I keep one docked all the time, and roam around with another

Harpman

• Knight
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2013, 08:22:36 PM »
Glad that I didn't update from 6.1.3, one of our guys has updated but he does not dock, he uses it for his monitor, I've told my guys to stick with 6.1.3 until we are confident it's going to work properly.

I keep one docked all the time, and roam around with another

Peter, that's good advice!  I thought the whole idea why Mackie held off on the 2.0 release was it would be compatible with iOS7.  I'm also getting the error: "This accessory not supported by the iPad" as well.
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2013, 04:41:00 PM »
"Wanted to use the Focusrite as my source and then into the inputs of the DL, but because of the 60Hz hum and potential latency issues, didn't want to risk it.  Still a work in progress."
You're getting hum from this setup?
Here an untouched snippet I captured with the Focusrite and recorded in Sonar X3 last Wednesday.
Brought some supplies back with me (stuff you can't get unless you're there or a club member). So I finally got to listen to the recording, nice voice. This is now thru Focusrite pre's. Notice any difference? I picked up on a couple of things that didn't sound quite right so I threw it into Audacity. I had to do it, can't help myself. Here are my observations. Either recorded too hot or X3'd too much. I know you said raw but I'm having trouble with that. Lots of clips. Like a fine wine you have to let it breathe. Way too much compression for my taste. You loose too much on dynamics. Background needs more clarity. This would probably clear up with more dynamics and it's not quite at the right level. As you said a work in progress. I hope it helps get you pointed in the right direction. This is all for mastering not for live. I'm sure it sounded different live.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 05:02:00 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Harpman

• Knight
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2013, 10:23:00 PM »
"Wanted to use the Focusrite as my source and then into the inputs of the DL, but because of the 60Hz hum and potential latency issues, didn't want to risk it.  Still a work in progress."
You're getting hum from this setup? Yes, I was getting 60Hz hum using the Focusrite as the source. This was also at my house, not at the venue
Here an untouched snippet I captured with the Focusrite and recorded in Sonar X3 last Wednesday.
Brought some supplies back with me (stuff you can't get unless you're there or a club member). I'm a Tobin James member, love their wines So I finally got to listen to the recording, nice voice. Thanks, My GF This is now thru Focusrite pre's. Notice any difference? I picked up on a couple of things that didn't sound quite right so I threw it into Audacity. I had to do it, can't help myself. Here are my observations. Either recorded too hot or X3'd too much. I know you said raw but I'm having trouble with that. Lots of clips. Like a fine wine you have to let it breathe. Way too much compression for my taste. You loose too much on dynamics. Background needs more clarity. This would probably clear up with more dynamics and it's not quite at the right level. As you said a work in progress. I hope it helps get you pointed in the right direction. This is all for mastering not for live. I'm sure it sounded different live.
I know I said "RAW", but I did use compression in X3.  Definitely wasn't too hot recording from the Focusrite.  From the DL AUX's, went into the Focusrite pre's. When you say "Background needs more clarity, are you talking vocal or instrumentation? I can definitely adjust the levels without clipping.  Spent a whole 30 minutes putting that snippet together :).
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2013, 01:26:11 AM »
Sorry that was male Vox. I kinda knew that it was your GF. I like the Cab and Merlot my wife goes for the Pino and Chards. We have the whole range covered.
From the DL AUX's, went into the Focusrite pre's.
Woah sounds backwards. Mic > Focusrite > DL is what I thought you had as a setup. Mic > DL > Focusrite could be a problem. Delay should not be a problem. That also means Onyx pre's is what was used. What Mic's are you using (ie. any phantom powered ones?)
When in doubt KISS

Harpman

• Knight
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2013, 02:19:56 AM »
Sorry that was male Vox. I kinda knew that it was your GF. I like the Cab and Merlot my wife goes for the Pino and Chards. We have the whole range covered.
From the DL AUX's, went into the Focusrite pre's.
Woah sounds backwards. Mic > Focusrite > DL is what I thought you had as a setup. Mic > DL > Focusrite could be a problem. Delay should not be a problem. That also means Onyx pre's is what was used. What Mic's are you using (ie. any phantom powered ones?)

Man, you do have the whole gambit covered.  We'll have to get together sometime (Valencia is much closer than Sonoma :)).  Kepi likes pretty much what I like, but likes the whites (chards).  I like a good Pino as well, but into Zins and Sirahs I prefer myself. Not impressed with the Cabs down here, although one of the local wineries has a great one called "Khayyam".  It's an 09, but I think the grapes are from Napa. Decided at the day of the gig the other way (A little paranoia :)).  That way if something went wrong, I had the DL still working without issues.  No Phantom power.  Shure Beta58 wired for male VOX, Shure Beta58 wireless for GF (Kepi) and not sure what the other mic was.  Kelly, the other male vocalist / guitarist brought his mic.  We have another gig at the winery that carries the "Khayyam" on Dec 19th.  I have some time before then.  Forgot what pre's the Focusrite uses (maybe Onyx as well?).  I know Behringer uses Midas pre's.  Kepi and Kelly had performed before in another band called "The Acoustic Groove", but the Bass player dropped and we added Jerry who was playing with a Beatles tribute band and he was a pleasant addition.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 02:21:49 AM by Harpman »
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

abzurd

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2013, 02:23:45 AM »
Okay update here.. And BTW, I do appreciate the responses thus far. Have not heard from support yet, so I went ahead and rebooted my IPAD.. It worked great after that. I shut it off and it went back to not syncing or recognizing the Ipad. When I turn it on now, right after it has been working, it gets the message "This accessory not supported by this Ipad." I can now get it to work when docked only if I reboot the Ipad and unplug the 1608. If I turn either off or only turn one off, it does not sync. The 1608 is brand new; I have only had it 4 days now. Really frustrating and just about to get a refund, but I really want a small digital board with these features. Any ideas (short of refunds) would be appreciated. BTW, familiar with digital boards as I have worked with X32, M7, Profile, etc.

thanks

If I would have seen this thread I would have suggested a reboot. This happens to mine about once a month. It is a pain in the rear. I also have my original ipad unsyncing regularly when docked and occasionally passing choppy audio the first time it's synced. Combine this with the white noise blast the Ipad 3 gives me and I'm not really a happy camper.