Author Topic: Amps I've owned.  (Read 30526 times)

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
Amps I've owned.
« on: April 15, 2010, 10:45:33 PM »
Kinda fugly but paid $500 new for it I think:

Sounds pretty good but kinda heavy to move around. I'm planning on separating the head and cab someday.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
Re: Amps I've owned.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 10:52:54 PM »
Stoopid me sold one of these:

I bought it off a guitarist who had a gambling problem. It came with TWO V9 cabs (9 x 10" speakers) and covers for everything. I only played it once with both cabs as it was way too loud. Sold it and bought a Roland SIP-301 preamp that I should still have but can't find after my last move :(.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 10:58:40 PM by RoadRanger »

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 10:57:16 PM »
Still have a B25B cab like this one:

Has the original square magnet CTS speakers in it. Would like to find a head for it someday :).

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 11:09:01 PM »
Couldn't find a good picture of an original Tech21 Landmark 60 single 10" tiltback combo but got one of them too. A great sounding little amp!

I recently picked up a Line6 LowDown Studio 110 to carry around. It sounds good but I should have bought a BA112 instead :(. Does a pretty convincing B15 imitation though :).

Found a Tube Works RT-3175 MosValve 1x15 combo on fleabay that cost me as much to ship as to buy :(. Still an OK deal and it really sound great and loud !

I have two Tube Works 904 Blue Tube 1U rackmount units I use as preamps. One is in a case with a Traynor PM100 2U 100 watt power amp and the other in a case with a Tube Works 982 1U 80 watt mosvalve poweramp. I've got a small Golleon 1x15 cab I use with these - plus I have a couple other small Chinese 1x15 cabs. Oh, and a 2x10 cab I haven't loaded yet - have a couple Chinese 300w 16 ohm drivers for it.

So basically I don't need any more amps :facepalm:.

;D
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 11:27:39 PM by RoadRanger »

audiopile

• Preferred Vendor
  • Padawan
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 12:45:20 AM »

Found a Tube Works RT-3175 MosValve
Humm... I have a Tube Works 1500 Mosvalve (rackmount unit) currently running as a slave amp to power the warehouse speakers.  I wonder if it would be better utilized doing bass guitar duty?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 01:26:44 PM by audiopile »

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 12:55:09 AM »
I forgot my first rig. It was a Heathkit solid state combo that had the cab sawed off that the keyboardist gave me. I had a Radio Shack 15" in a particle board cab I built and some weird trapezoidal 2x15 cab I bought used for cheap (don't remember the brand). I ran the 2x15 on my side of the drummer and the 1x15 on the other and got pretty good coverage without needing much in the PA. The head was only rated for 4 ohms so I was pushin' it a bit :o.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 12:56:42 AM by RoadRanger »

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 01:01:56 AM »
Humm... I have a Tube Works 1500 Mosvalve (rackmount unit) currently running as a slave amp to power the warehouse speakers.  I wonder if it would be better utilized doing bass guitar duty?
They do sound tubey when pushed. Just saw a rackmount blue tube for sale on fleabay - make nice "old school sound" preamps. I think I have 12AV7's in mine - a lot smoother overdrive than the stock 12AX7's. The "AX" sounds kinda SVTish while the "AV" sounds kinda B15ish.

monthlymixcd

• Charter Member
  • Padawan
  • Rink Rash is Sexy. Support Your Local Roller Girls
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 03:33:16 AM »
It's Fliptops for me now... Talkbass Ampeg Portaflex Club Member #12

It's a '72 B-15S w/ an Eminence Kappa15FL-2 speaker and an early '80s B-15T w/ an EV. I have adapter cables so I can play each head through either cab. Cell phone pic, sorry...

I had a blackline SVT head with a straighty 8x10 from '69 before these two... it's now rockin' the West Des Moines Methodist Church IIRC.   :o
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 03:38:17 AM by monthlymixcd »

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 03:41:16 AM »
Nice fliptops!

:)

audiopile

• Preferred Vendor
  • Padawan
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 01:29:57 PM »
It came with TWO V9 cabs (9 x 10" speakers)
possibly a bonus trivia points opportunity:  I was under the impression the V9 cabs were loaded with 9" speakers (9 x 9").

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 01:47:58 PM »
possibly a bonus trivia points opportunity:  I was under the impression the V9 cabs were loaded with 9" speakers (9 x 9").
Not that I 100% trust my memories from back then ;) but I'm pretty sure they were 10's.

audiopile

• Preferred Vendor
  • Padawan
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 02:18:25 PM »
Not that I 100% trust my memories from back then ;) but I'm pretty sure they were 10's.
I remember something about them was fairly unique... maybe it was their 5.3 ohm voicecoils.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 03:14:25 PM »
I remember something about them was fairly unique... maybe it was their 5.3 ohm voicecoils.
I remember that posting somewhere - I think I even replied to it. I'm pretty sure that was based on bad math working backwards from the 8 ohm rating of the cab. Maybe someone ohmed one at 5.3 but that wouldn't be unusual for an 8 ohm rated speaker I think?

audiopile

• Preferred Vendor
  • Padawan
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2010, 12:57:28 AM »
I remember that posting somewhere - I think I even replied to it. I'm pretty sure that was based on bad math working backwards from the 8 ohm rating of the cab. Maybe someone ohmed one at 5.3 but that wouldn't be unusual for an 8 ohm rated speaker I think?

I believe the ohm load of the cabinet was 4.  I dunno though.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 01:24:46 AM by RoadRanger »

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2010, 01:26:06 AM »
I believe the ohm load of the cabinet was 4.  I dunno though.
Not sure. I know I could run them both off the V4B - could that amp do 2 ohms?

EDIT> I looked it up and the older one (like I had) could. Now that I think about it I do believe they were 4 ohms as I wanted to use the drivers from the second cabinet for monitors but I was going to have to use two in series to get 8 ohms.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 01:30:04 AM by RoadRanger »