Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Aux compression enough for IEMs?

(1/13) > >>

Wynnd:
Thinking about wired IEM to deal with insane stage volume.  Is the Aux compressor enough to protect my hearing from transients?  Anybody doing this?

RoadRanger:

--- Quote from: Wynnd on December 20, 2013, 02:43:31 AM ---Thinking about wired IEM to deal with insane stage volume.  Is the Aux compressor enough to protect my hearing from transients? 

--- End quote ---
If you trust your hearing to the Mackie firmware and all the hardware between it and your earbuds (and set it properly), sure. OTOH it's kinda reassuring to have the limiter be hardware right in the bodypack :) . I have a Galaxy AS900 wireless which only costs about $175 if you shop around.

Wynnd:
That's a price that might be doable, when someone in the house finds another day job.  (Right now house income is mostly the band and in Denver, that's generally not making a living.  On the other hand, the band that doesn't have a NYE gig has 5 gigs in the the first two weeks of next year.  Thats a pace that helps a lot.)  Got a pretty good self made resume'.  Maybe I just think so.  We shall see.

stevegarris:
I use the aux's every gig for IEM mix. It works excellent, but I don't know the models of IEM their using.
I set my vocal compression lightly, with a ratio from 2:1 to 3:1 and 3-6 db gain reduction (when activated).

There's also the compressor on the aux output, but i don't use it.

WK154:

--- Quote from: RoadRanger on December 20, 2013, 01:51:12 PM ---
--- Quote from: Wynnd on December 20, 2013, 02:43:31 AM ---Thinking about wired IEM to deal with insane stage volume.  Is the Aux compressor enough to protect my hearing from transients? 

--- End quote ---
If you trust your hearing to the Mackie firmware and all the hardware between it and your earbuds (and set it properly), sure. OTOH it's kinda reassuring to have the limiter be hardware right in the bodypack :) . I have a Galaxy AS900 wireless which only costs about $175 if you shop around.

--- End quote ---
At this point in time with V2 quirks I certainly wouldn't go there.  How's that AS900 working out for you? With my luck I would end up with something on that single frequency and be SOL. I am a firm believer in IEM's or nothing since those nasty laws of physics always find a way to screw things up especially with stage monitors.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version