Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Aux compression enough for IEMs?

<< < (4/13) > >>

bdaprile:
Sorry guys. Just read the owner's manual and found the small grey swipe area on the aux EQ page. Can someone knowledgable about these settings give me a reasonable setting so nobody in the band loses their hearing with the IEMs? This would be extremely helpful as I'm not a real sound engineer. I obviously concerned with feedback or other "spikes" in sound level going into their IEMs via the aux channel and would like it "limited" somehow to protect their hearing. Comments from any experts is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Brian
DL1608, Bose L1S with B2 Bass Module, iPad 3

stevegarris:

--- Quote from: walterw on December 22, 2013, 10:12:53 PM ---
--- Quote from: stevegarris on December 20, 2013, 07:21:16 PM ---I use the aux's every gig for IEM mix. It works excellent, but I don't know the models of IEM their using.
I set my vocal compression lightly, with a ratio from 2:1 to 3:1 and 3-6 db gain reduction (when activated).

There's also the compressor on the aux output, but i don't use it.

--- End quote ---
that's exactly backwards!

you don't want to compress the individual vocals in their monitors, that's what leads to over-singing and blown-out voices. that's what the big hullabaloo over V2.0 was about, the option to take that channel comp off the auxes.

you do want to use the aux comp, set up more like a limiter; fastest attack, very high ratio (to where the top of the green "mountain" graph is pretty much chopped off flat), and the threshold is just high enough that it doesn't get reached with normal levels.

that way, there's no squash in the ears with normal use (preserving the singer's dynamics and their voices) but any "accidents" will hit the threshold limit and not blow anybody up.

--- End quote ---

Being fairly new to IEM's, I have not yet had any issues with over-singing or blown out voices. My singers are pro's, and sing at a very even level each night, so we've never had a problem. By using the channel compressors lightly, they hear what I hear. I had not thought about putting a limiter on the aux out's, but that is an excellent idea. I've never needed it for live monitors, so I've just mixed IEM's the same. I'll give it a try at the next gig.

Regarding pre/post DSP, I've completely changed my thinking on this, as a result of owning this board. I've learned that if I make EQ adjustments to a particular channel, that needs to be heard in the monitor as well. You can't fix individual channels with the aux 31 band EQ, so at this point I prefer the channel EQ to be heard in the IEM. I'm using the channel comp's very lightly, and my band loves the IEM's, so I must be doing something right! (I'm going to try the aux limiters at the next gig)

WK154:
Assuming you use Aux's 1-6 for your IEM's set the output compressor for the following.
Hard Knee, Threshold around -1dB FS, Ratio at infinity (far right), Attack at .1ms (far left), release 3 min (far right), gain at 0dB (far left). That should stop any unwanted event to go past your max settings on Aux's. The DL right now is NOT RELIABLE  and until it is fixed by Mackie I would recommend NOT using the DL period. Most wireless IEM have their own protection. It's wired that are ? limiters or not.

bdaprile:
Thanks so much for the reply regarding the limiter settings. I will definitely use those.

But then you go on to say the DL is not reliable for this usage. Are you saying that the aux out limiters may not work to protect a musician with IEMs? Why is that?

Also, I didn't know the IEMs could have their own limiter. I'll have to look into that.

Brian
DL1608, Bose L1S with B2 Bass Module, iPad 3

WK154:
Simply the DL as a mixer can let go with white noise and other problems at any time. Three or more threads on this forum alone describe this problem. Their Facebook  account has many more users with this and they are treating it rather matter of fact. Mackie needs to fix the code ASAP to make this mixer reliable again. When this happens they may get some credibility back as a equipment supplier. I wouldn't want to be potentially risking someone's hearing with a known defective kit. That's what Law Suits are made off.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version