Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Aux compression enough for IEMs?

<< < (5/13) > >>

Wynnd:
All outputs have Compression.  Go to the aux or LR EQ and then flick the screen up or down to get to the compressor.  If you didn't know that, then you probably haven't seen the compressor and gate on each of the individual channels where you also have a screen for the reverb and delay.  Works exactly the same way there.  The reason there are no gates on the aux outputs, is probably because I can't think of any circumstances where you would use that.  Gates are an individual channel issue only.  It's not as quick as on an analog board, but there is a lot of depth to this board.  (Can be a bit clumsy, but these are things that usually aren't changed during a show.)

robbocurry:

--- Quote from: bdaprile on December 24, 2013, 02:37:40 AM ---Thanks so much for the reply regarding the limiter settings. I will definitely use those.

But then you go on to say the DL is not reliable for this usage. Are you saying that the aux out limiters may not work to protect a musician with IEMs? Why is that?

Also, I didn't know the IEMs could have their own limiter. I'll have to look into that.

Brian
DL1608, Bose L1S with B2 Bass Module, iPad 3

--- End quote ---
Au contraire Brian,
Lots of other people (myself included) have never had any "white noise" issues or any problems with the DL that would deem it unreliable.
We use a mixture of sidefills and Sennheiser IEMs and have never had a "near deaf experience"  ;D

Harpman:

--- Quote from: bdaprile on December 24, 2013, 02:37:40 AM ---Thanks so much for the reply regarding the limiter settings. I will definitely use those.

But then you go on to say the DL is not reliable for this usage. Are you saying that the aux out limiters may not work to protect a musician with IEMs? Why is that?

Also, I didn't know the IEMs could have their own limiter. I'll have to look into that.

Brian

--- End quote ---

I can tell you, my Shure IEM's do.  Here is an page out of the manual:

LIM LED
The P2R Receiver has a non–defeatable (constantly active) limiter that automatically activates
if the receiver output level exceeds a certain volume, which is calibrated specifically for the
Shure earphones. The LIM LED on the top of the unit lights up when the limiter is on. If the
LIM LED blinks occasionally, turn down the volume of the receiver.* If the LED is on and you
haven’t reached a high enough listening level, try re-inserting the earphones for a better seal,
or adjust the mix that is being sent to the receiver to include only the most essential inputs.**
* When the LED is on, the volume will not increase.

**The limiter is designed to work best with the Shure earphones. Using the P2R with other Shure earphones or earphones
made by other manufacturers, can result in higher limited volume levels

I don't know about other manufacturers though.

WK154:

--- Quote from: robbocurry on December 24, 2013, 03:28:10 PM ---

Brian

--- End quote ---
Au contraire Brian,
Lots of other people (myself included) have never had any "white noise" issues or any problems with the DL that would deem it unreliable.
We use a mixture of sidefills and Sennheiser IEMs and have never had a "near deaf experience"  ;D

--- End quote ---

You'd have a ball in  Monte Carlo or Vegas (snake-eyes or hit me again). Consider yourself as lucky. The Senn's have a limiter.

Harpman:

--- Quote from: robbocurry on December 24, 2013, 03:28:10 PM ---

Brian

--- End quote ---
Au contraire Brian,

--- End quote ---

I think the higher quality IEMs have the protection (i.e. limiters) needed like the Sennheiser / Shure.  Man, you must have lots of $$  :lol:. Sennheiser's aren't cheap (you get what you pay for).  Curious on what you use for sidefills.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version