Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Aux compression enough for IEMs?

<< < (6/13) > >>

robbocurry:

--- Quote from: Harpman on December 24, 2013, 03:37:17 PM ---
--- Quote from: robbocurry on December 24, 2013, 03:28:10 PM ---
--- Quote from: bdaprile on December 24, 2013, 02:37:40 AM ---Thanks so much for the reply regarding the limiter settings. I will definitely use those.

But then you go on to say the DL is not reliable for this usage. Are you saying that the aux out limiters may not work to protect a musician with IEMs? Why is that?

Also, I didn't know the IEMs could have their own limiter. I'll have to look into that.

Brian
DL1608, Bose L1S with B2 Bass Module, iPad 3

--- End quote ---
Au contraire Brian,
Lots of other people (myself included) have never had any "white noise" issues or any problems with the DL that would deem it unreliable.
We use a mixture of sidefills and Sennheiser IEMs and have never had a "near deaf experience"  ;D

--- End quote ---

I think the higher quality IEMs have the protection (i.e. limiters) needed like the Sennheiser / Shure.  Man, you must have lots of $$  :lol:. Sennheiser's aren't cheap (you get what you pay for).  Curious on what you use for sidefills.

--- End quote ---
We use a mixture depending on stage size. Mostly 12"+1" boxes with 15" sub on bigger stages - specifically Martin F12+ & S15 or Db Technologies Opera.
I tend to overspend on the band gear, that's why I'll never be rich! Made a million, spent a million and a half ;)

BTW: Happy Christmas to you all and a prosperous 2014  :)

Harpman:
We have the Bose L1 Compacts for trio and smaller and I sometimes use those as side-fills.  Works really good.  Yeah, I make all my money in IT work and spend it on music equipment.  I'm just one of those techno-junkies who has to have the latest and greatest. WK154 (Bill) and his wife came to one of our gigs last week and Kepi got to try the Heil PR35 mic.  Tried to stick it in my bag but Bill was too quick  :lol:. Between IEM's, mics and everything else, I'll be broke before 2014 starts :laugh:.  Merry Christmas to all of you on the forum and YES, a prosperous 2014!!

WK154:
Hey Gio before you go and spend $$ I have 79 more to try out. After the Holidays I'll run some ideas past you that may be a better fit for Kepi and the group. So save some $ for the after Christmas sales. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all.

RoadRanger:
AFAIK all wireless IEM systems have limiters - even the cheap ones. And as for the white noise "issue" I believe that only affects the iPad playback channel so as long as you don't have that in your IEMs you shouldn't have an issue - plus a limiter set on the aux output should limit any event including that one. OTOH a problem after the limiter (bad cord, headphone amp accidentally turned up, etc) can still blow out your ears - having the limiter right in the bodypack that the earbuds plug into minimizes the chances of a catastrophic event.

WK154:

--- Quote from: RoadRanger on December 25, 2013, 04:39:33 AM ---AFAIK all wireless IEM systems have limiters - even the cheap ones. And as for the white noise "issue" I believe that only affects the iPad playback channel so as long as you don't have that in your IEMs you shouldn't have an issue - plus a limiter set on the aux output should limit any event including that one. OTOH a problem after the limiter (bad cord, headphone amp accidentally turned up, etc) can still blow out your ears - having the limiter right in the bodypack that the earbuds plug into minimizes the chances of a catastrophic event.

--- End quote ---

AFAIK your AS900's don't have limiters. From AS1000 on up they mention it. I never asked if the white noise also ended up in Aux's or just L/R. The only way I would presently operate the DL would be through WiFi and playback thru inputs 15, 16 or the like. Some users have had problems without playback or recording. But then who knows? If this were your only mixer I could understand your dilemma. I would be pounding on Mackie's door every 5 minutes till it gets fixed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version