Author Topic: Using a single ipad for playback and my fader control of DL  (Read 4795 times)

Kev tyler

• Knight
Using a single ipad for playback and my fader control of DL
« on: September 24, 2014, 02:40:51 PM »
hi guys

So Sick of waiting for Berry x18, I put off mackie dl purchase ages ago because of empty  x16 coming soon promises, so I am thinking of going for a dl806 to be left back stage at gig, backstage being about ten feet away, controlled via an airport express. I want to mount an iPad on a mic stand to control the mix, and have a playback app running tracks in the background/foreground with the express linking audio to the DL, the setup is solo vox and tracks,

Am I asking too much of the tech? Does anyone else work like this?

My gear needs to be out of the way of kids dancers other entertainers etc, hence not on stage, no silly long mini Jack cables etc,

Cheers

Kev

Wynnd

• Master
Re: Using a single ipad for playback and my fader control of DL
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 07:04:09 PM »
Several things.  Looks like if you dock your ipad, it needs to be fully charged to prevent sync drops.  Not everyone is experiencing them, but I had it happen one time and it's generally a pain.  You need a sound source for your tracks.  I just upgraded all my ios devices to ios 8 and now when Master Fader is running, I can't use airplay to play music through my Airport Express.  If you hold off installing ios 8 until Mackie says it's alright, and that hasn't happened yet, you should be OK in that way.  If you're using a laptop for your tracks, you should be OK.  Keep in mind that there is about a 2 second delay when starting a song through Airplay.  Outside of those points, the DL should meet your needs very well.  I use a mic stand mount for my ipad mini.  I have Master Fader running, but mostly I use OnSong for my reference charts and practice. 

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 11:36:15 PM »
Hi there

I don't own a dl yet, sort of in 2 minds right now, I was also contemplating using airturn at some point too,

I know there is a split screen option on the cards for iOS but not sure if this will allow the playback app and my fader and air turn to all play nice, I am going to have a good read through this forum

Thanks so much for the reply

Cheers

Kev

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 02:13:08 AM »
Split screen isn't here yet.  When playing music, you can take that app and place it in the background and the music will continue to play without problems.  (Airplay.)   I doubt that Master Fader will ever be compatible with split screen.  It has to resync whenever it becomes the active app.  I could be wrong, but don't purchase it expecting that to happen.  I'm a bit of the opinion that there won't be many more updates to Master Fader or My Fader.  (I'd like to be wrong about that.)  There are the issues that are mentioned in many places, but most aren't experiencing any of those.  Mackie is generally hard to get a hold of for warranty service.  And I'm guessing that most of their programming is currently going into new hardware.  There is so much I love about the DL1608.  Wish it wasn't causing any issues for anyone.  I've also come to the conclusion that physical  faders are generally better than virtual ones.  (Both work, but one you have to watch to use the other the fingertips are enough.)   I like the wifi aspect.  It has nearly twice the number of controls of a MixWiz.  (700 vs 400)  Useful ones too.  The fact that it's about 20 pounds lighter is a plus for anyone 60+

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 08:37:28 AM »
Hi wynnd

Thansk mate

It's a toughie right now, there are so many ways of skinning a cat, You see so many so near but yet so far products too, the motu ultralite, the berry core, the little berry touch controller which would have been a great mixer if it had a bit of audio gubbins, etc I often feel taunted by it all, and not taken serious, I make nice dough doing what i do, but feel forced in to the toy department because I am solo, and at the same time dislike the idea of buying a x32 rack or what have you.

at the moment I have a lap top perched on top of a piece of wood velcroed to my desk, an old linksys router and an off stage laptop controlling playback via real vnc, i then have an airport express for emergency synced to an app for playback on my wife's phone, however she won't be coming to gigs anymore next year and I need to fend for myself, so will ditch both laptops and old router although it's better than the apple by a mile, but no airplay....I am using a playback app called pauser pro and one track, brilliant..

As for the pad, it's an air on ios8' and it has been a bit funny since updating, I am using it now on this forum via the chrome app, it's really hard at the mo to edit because there is no cursor showing right now.

Thanks for the help

Kev

« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 08:43:10 AM by Kev tyler »

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 07:35:24 PM »
As for the pad, it's an air on ios8' and it has been a bit funny since updating, I am using it now on this forum via the chrome app, it's really hard at the mo to edit because there is no cursor showing right now.
Try the TapaTalk app ;) .

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 07:43:52 PM »
I am a bit leery of the Tapa talk app.  I suspect you have greater privacy with the regular Browser.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 07:49:39 PM »
I am a bit leery of the Tapa talk app.  I suspect you have greater privacy with the regular Browser.
I don't think so - the TapaTalk app "talks" directly with a plug-in on the forum, no data passes through any third party server AFAIK.

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 09:20:43 PM »
thanks

Kev

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 10:18:14 PM »
Kevin have you looked at your homegrown SMpro outfit they seem to have what you're looking for.
http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php/en/products/digital-mixers/umix
Subject was covered here: http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=646.0
No-one here seems to have any input on them.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 10:22:35 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 10:27:14 PM »
Yes I was going to Order one blind from thomann ,but they sold out, even though these seem in coming soon land too, and I don't know anyone who has seen one, I know pre production versions of the qsc are out there and work well, has anyone seen a working pre production x16 x18 or indeed the smpro?

I am getting bored waiting, I might just have to design the next wonder product myself, shame nobody did for the iPhone what the dl did for the iPad, pocket sized digital mixer anyone?

Let's call it the x2

Lol
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 10:28:45 PM by Kev tyler »