Author Topic: Using External Reverb with DL1608  (Read 8739 times)

hnguyen

• Initiate
Using External Reverb with DL1608
« on: December 28, 2013, 01:19:40 AM »
Hi all,
I have a Lexicon MX400 that I want to use with the DL1608. Could you please tell me what is the best way to connect this reverb unit to the DL1608. Thanks

Wynnd

• Master
Re: Using External Reverb with DL1608
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 02:52:31 AM »
Dedicate an Aux out to the reverb unit then return into an unused channel.  Make sure you don't create a feedback loop.  (ie, keep the channel out of the input for the Aux used to the reverb unit.)  Should work fine that way.  You lose the use of an Aux and a channel.  Just curious, but were none of the reverb options good enough?  (For recordings I can understand, but for live sound?  The audience probably wouldn't notice if you didn't run any reverb at all.  They might notice if you ran too much.)

hnguyen

• Initiate
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 04:23:34 AM »
Hi Wynnd,
Thank you for your reply to my post. I only want to have more option on the reverb in case if I need to lift a little more for singer who has weak voice. What do you mean about create a loop feedback? Can you give me more detail explanation please. Thank you

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 05:07:01 AM »
Feedback loop. If you return the reverb from aux 6 to channel 16 make sure you are not sending channel 16 to aux 6 as well. You will be sending the reverb back to itself and back again to the channel. Creating a loop.

walterw

• Padawan
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 06:36:33 AM »
I only want to have more option on the reverb in case if I need to lift a little more for singer who has weak voice. What do you mean about create a loop feedback? Can you give me more detail explanation please. Thank you
more reverb won't "lift" a weak voice, this doesn't really make sense.

if you did want to turn up the reverb on something, just do it from the REV "aux" page on the right side there, that's what it's for.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 03:46:14 PM »
I've always considered reverb to be the crutch of the bad singer.  A little with a good singer is all that's needed.  But a bad singer can't ever get enough.  (Cause you don't want to hear them anyway.)  On the other hand, if you're running close to feedback, extra reverb will throw you over the edge.  (A good reason to keep reverb totally out of any monitors.)

hnguyen

• Initiate
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 04:48:50 PM »
Hi all,
Thank you all for your advices. I really appreciate for your help.

Harpman

• Knight
  • “If music be the food of love, play on"
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 04:14:03 PM »
I've always considered reverb to be the crutch of the bad singer.  A little with a good singer is all that's needed.  But a bad singer can't ever get enough.  (Cause you don't want to hear them anyway.)  On the other hand, if you're running close to feedback, extra reverb will throw you over the edge.  (A good reason to keep reverb totally out of any monitors.)

Wynn, I agree and disagree. I think a lot of it depends on the song the vocalist is singing.  My GF (Kepi) is a very accomplished vocalist and can sing anything from Broadway to funk.  When she performs a cover tune like "Rhiannon" (Stevie Nicks), I may use more reverb to color the vibrato.  My motto is "To much of anything is a bad thing".  Your not going to tell a guitarist to stop using an effects pedal, right? Being a harmonica player, Kepi would love me to play on a lot of different songs, but I personally don't think the arrangement calls for it. I good friend of mine told me once "If you can't add anything to the song, don't". Same holds true for reverb or any other effect for that matter.  But your right...No effect in the world is going to carry a vocalist who can't hold a note :laugh:.  I agree with you about reverb in the stage monitors. I'm in the process of eliminating stage monitors all together. Controlling Foldback to FOH is another topic should be a separate topic for discussion  :lol: 
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment
"We Bring Good Music to Life"

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 05:16:54 PM »
+1

I'm a fan of not much reverb, a singer I work with likes lots, and in his monitors, says he can't get into it if his voice doesn't sound great to him. Lot's of singers like some 'comfort-verb' in their monitors and I see no problem with that as long as, as you say, feedback is not an issue.

Harpman

• Knight
  • “If music be the food of love, play on"
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 03:25:15 PM »
So, here is a recording I did last week using my Focusrite 18i20 front-ending my DL.  This is my use of reverb.  This was a rehearsal last week and I want to capture the essence that the song was recorded in a church, since it's a "churchy" song.  This is 3-part harmony with a room mic (Omni condenser).  Having multi-track at my fingertips allowed me to mute/unmute the room mic to see what sounded best.  I thought it sounded better with the room mic.  Here is a small snippet:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jyui2f3iijqkxvy/2.%20Wade%20in%20the%20Water%20-%20PC.mp3

BTW, no compression what-so-ever ;)

Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment
"We Bring Good Music to Life"