Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Aux sends for foldbacks - pre or post EQ/dsp

(1/5) > >>

Fluddman:
Just wondering how you are running foldback sends now you have the choice of pre or post EQ/DSP aux sends (I assume prefader is a given).

Most of the time I have vocals-only in the foldbacks and work in familiar rooms with familiar bands. I habitually go with 'pre' EQ/DSP sends but lately I have started to check which one sounds the best and go with that. The post send usually sounds better but if I need stupid loud foldbacks or the singer needs lots of compression I will go with the pre send.

How do you guys do foldbacks on the DL1608?

Cheers

stevegarris:
I once sold a board (Mackie) and purchased a Mixwiz to achieve pre-aux EQ and pre-aux insert for compression (also needed the 6 sends, vs 4). After using the Mixwiz, I found I did not like the pre EQ. In my opinion, the singer's monitor wants to hear the same tonal adjustments I'm making to that mic or line input for the house. The mix output is then adjusted as a whole using the aux EQ.

When using my DL, I use post EQ/dsp. I use the compression very lightly (2:1 and only hitting the peaks). With the bands I'm currently working for it has worked flawlessly. I'm running bands that utilize both IEM's and live monitors. If there was an option to have post EQ but pre compression I would use that instead, but what I'm doing is working very well.

Fluddman:
Thanks for posting Steve.

I definitely go post EQ for IEMs but for live monitors I am not 100% sold but starting to do it more often.

Cheers

Wynnd:
I was thinking about this and if you set the EQ for the FOH it will be wrong for the monitor.  Unless you've already compensated for both speaker sets with the 32 band EQ.  Prep work really helps.

WK154:

--- Quote from: Wynnd on January 07, 2014, 11:11:40 AM ---I was thinking about this and if you set the EQ for the FOH it will be wrong for the monitor.  Unless you've already compensated for both speaker sets with the 32 band EQ.  Prep work really helps.

--- End quote ---
I think you will find this explanation on eq's quite clear about the role of channel vs. FOH mix. Dave Rat is the FOH/MON engineer for the Red Hot Chilly Peppers and others.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU9BmupC62c
Setup order is important. Channels first house second then tweaks. It's important that you take note of where the tools are for the adjustments and can you substitute your ears on stage as opposed to headphone isolation and your ears. Ultimately the talent should be satisfied with the settings. You can also not determine the amount of stage bleed into a mic by iPad and ears for repositioning mics. The iPad/ear combo mobility is great at checking audience sound not so good for other things.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version