Author Topic: iPad as FX Processor?  (Read 3684 times)

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
iPad as FX Processor?
« on: January 18, 2014, 07:28:10 PM »
Hey has anyone tried to use the iPad as an FX engine, using the L&R bus as it's input and the iPad stereo channel as the return? Obviously you'd have to run your PA off of an Aux or two.

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
Re: iPad as FX Processor?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 09:07:03 PM »
Interesting idea RR, why would you use the main outputs as sends (to keep them digital?)? I'm not sure you can send and return the iPd simultaneously but if not you could have a single analogue send from an aux into the iPad mic input and the return through the iPad channel?

Worth a try either way :-)

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 09:15:07 PM »
I'm pretty sure you can't use the analog input when the iPad is docked :( . You should be able to use the digital inputs and outputs at the same time but I sortof remember someone saying it doesn't work?

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 10:31:07 PM »
I'm pretty sure you can't use the analog input when the iPad is docked :( . You should be able to use the digital inputs and outputs at the same time but I sortof remember someone saying it doesn't work?
Where's this analog input come from? Your original Question was about using the USB/iPad path to apply FX in the iPad and send it back to the DL. What does docked have to do with analog? Auria has some limited amount of FX so the iPad can do it but I would use Dual A5 or A6 based version at minimum. Turn around delay needs to be 1 msec or less. Fx certainly should be done in the DL not the iPad it's far better equipped for this. They already have reverb and delay of various FX's along with their random white noise generator.  >:D This would have to be in MF at minimum to be useful. Bidirectional data on the USB would bring out the ugly.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 11:15:48 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 12:59:46 AM »
Interesting thought, but I can't see it working with Master Fader 2.0  You probably could use a second ipad to do this, but there are probably much better tools for the job.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 02:58:45 AM »
OK I got it. So it was a trick question. Mackie will unveil their Thunderbolt enabled DL1608RH  Pro. It will have 16 channel recording 8 groups 8 DCA's 16 Matrix's and an IEM bus. It will come with a free can of Red Hook Ale. See it all at NAMM 2015.
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 03:50:11 AM »
Sam you'll like these guys from your neighborhood. I like Nick he's funny but to the point. Gaz is right in there with him but more diplomatic. They give an overview of where this stuff stands. Unfortunately Mackie hasn't opened up the DL to Audiobus or even the  iOS's version. They'd rather take their toy and go home. Enjoy there are some other neat things these guys cover.
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2013/08/29/using-the-ipad-as-a-real-time-effects-processor/
correction.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 04:10:37 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 04:05:39 AM »
I'm trying to understand why you referred to them as being from my neighborhood.  I'm in Denver Colorado and they don't sound like they are.   Am I missing something?

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 04:08:19 AM »
My bad I mixed you up with Sam.
When in doubt KISS