Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

QSC TouchMix

<< < (6/10) > >>

Wynnd:
The one thing that I'm noticing is that software updates to Master Fader and My Fader are actually upgrades in flexibility and functionality.  Not seeing that in every other digital mixer.  Consider the StudioLive 24.4.2.   Can't think of anything that's different on the mixer itself after being out for more than 2 years.  The DL, is a much improved mixer with the Master Fader updates.  That's something that I never thought about when I considered buying one.  It surely has to be a significant thing to consider for anyone considering a digital mixer.  Are you stuck with what you bought or do you have an evolving product.  (Admittedly, being stuck with a MixWiz is a pretty good place to be stuck.) 

nottooloud:

--- Quote from: Jerrylee on February 20, 2014, 02:32:42 AM ---But the x32 rack does have have a display and is less $.

--- End quote ---

You think it would be feasible to mix a show off that display, do you? Crouched down in front of a rack? The TouchMix is a complete standalone fully functional device. That's a thing that  makes it different from the entire crop of iPad dependent mixers, while still having iPad capability.

RoadRanger:

--- Quote from: Wynnd on February 20, 2014, 03:32:10 AM ---Consider the StudioLive 24.4.2.   Can't think of anything that's different on the mixer itself after being out for more than 2 years.
--- End quote ---
And they've been promising to fix those cheap-arse 6dB/octave HPFs on the channels for those two years too and no joy so far :facepalm: . They're promising switchable 6/12/18/26 dB/octave just like the new ones on the DL's outputs - whci his one reason why I'm surprised Mackie didn't put that on the inputs too in V2.1 to "scoop" them :o .

Plus now that they have new models that don't need a Mac connected via firewire to record and connect to an iPad who knows if they will ever upgrade the firmware on them obsolete ones? That's what happened to my  Phonic S16 when they came out with the iS16 - no more upgrades :'( .

Jerrylee:
The dl1608 was missing a ton of features that other mixers already have. They are playing catch up. You cannot down another product for the lack of updates when they are not needed. You should rather praise them for the quality they began with. And yes that includes the dl. They made a great mixer for a lot of people. We all have are wish lists but most of those features will probably never come to fruition. Behringer is soon to release full 2.0. But their current firmware is far ahead of where the dl will ever be. If they never had an update most people with them would still be happy. And it would still be ahead of the dl. We may all still want something, but if they never happen we still have a great product. The new x32 features are great additions but not necessary for the x32 to be a phenomenal mixer.

I'll be impressed when the dl1608 gets an update to pack my gear up at the end of the night. Then I might have to buy it again.

Maybe we should all go back the the days of the analogue mixers, and racks, and racks, of outboard gear. This way if we want to add something we just add another piece to our set up. Instant update! And if you really don't want to do that then just be happy with what you have or upgrade to another digital mixer that gives you what you want/need/wish for.

Wynnd:
The aspect of no further software updates isn't something I'm looking forward to.  I've been thinking that whenever a company abandons software, that the software should become public domain.  I can see a difference in software support happening if that were to become law.  (Supported software is never abandoned.)  Will be interesting to see what happens over the years and how soon will Mackie stop working on the DL's software.  MicroSoft generally supports their OS for about 8 years.  (Even with new products taking over.) 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version