Author Topic: Gotta brag a little  (Read 17791 times)

audiopile

• Preferred Vendor
  • Padawan
Gotta brag a little
« on: April 19, 2010, 01:41:04 AM »
I didn't know which topic to put this under... the bass forum seems the most suitable (as bass is generally more about troque as opposed to RPM).

Today's my birthday... nothing new there as one out of every 365 1/4 folks have a birthday on any given day.  But... unlike the other 13 million some-odd folks who's birthday it is today, most of the other's who had a birthday today... they ain't married to Liz (my better 1/2)... so I doubt they enjoyed a birthday at the level I did.... Because:  Liz bought me a CAT D69U dozer for my birthday... which was delivered this morning (yes, that's right... it was delivered on a Sunday morning). 

Right now I reek of about 15 gallons of nearly completely burned diesel fuel combined with beer, dust, grease & 90wt., weed juice, and cigars.

It don't get any better than this.

BTW:  The D69U is the same age I am (54 yo.)... and after 7 or 8 hours in it's seat... I'm thinking it's aged better than I have (damn I'm gonna be sore in the morning... hopefully, if I continue to drink enough beer tonight... the hangover will mask the soreness).
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 01:50:35 AM by audiopile »

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
Re: Gotta brag a little
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 02:03:05 AM »
Happy Birthday - one heck of a present indeed. the ultimate power tool, no?
;)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 02:10:23 AM by RoadRanger »

audiopile

• Preferred Vendor
  • Padawan
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 02:08:42 AM »
Happy Birthday - one heck of a present indeed. the ultimate power tool, no?
;)

200 dyno HP... 17 tons... yea buddy!

Hopefully this post turned out ok... now where's my beer?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 02:12:19 AM by RoadRanger »

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 02:14:29 AM »
200 dyno HP... 17 tons... yea buddy!
Pony motor start?

audiopile

• Preferred Vendor
  • Padawan
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 02:21:22 AM »
Pony motor start?
Yes.  The tractor is fundementally stock, the way it left Peoria.

It's old school... for sure.  Admittedly it's not a steam engine, but I'd say it's arguably as close to being a true machine as it gets without being steam driven.

So... this D69U (typos galore... as I'm receiving head-butt help from my shop cat... been gone all day you-know)... anyway... my birthday dozer hadn't been started in maybe 20 years... and the pony motor wouldn't start... because the fuel lines were plugged full-a black gunk... but hey... tools, carb cleaner, pressurized air... a couple taps on the top of the carb with the carb drain plug out... fuel flow all around... reassemble... and we were burning diesel... and moving dirt... lots of dirt.  We'll see what I did in the morning... it looked great from the operator's seat... but then there's the reality of stepping down onto the ground... and I didn't look back after stepping down.

It don't get any better than this...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 02:23:42 PM by audiopile »

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 03:17:15 AM »
my birthday dozer hadn't been started in maybe 20 years... and the pony motor wouldn't start... because the fuel lines were plugged full-a black gunk... but hey... tools, carb cleaner, pressurized air... a couple taps on the top of the carb with the carb drain plug out... fuel flow all around... reassemble... and we were burning diesel... and moving dirt... lots of dirt.
Damn shame when someone lets something like that sit for so many years. I attached a pic of my road tractor that's been sittin' in one of my driveways for 2 years. I just topped off the batteries so I can drive it out back - doesn't look like it will ever see the road again :(. Damned brakes shoes rust to the drums when it's been sitting for more than a couple weeks - I'll have to defeat (cage) the emergency brake springs so the brake shoes aren't touching the drums all the time and try to get them free without taking the tires off (a real PITA). Can't remember what it weighs, maybe 15K? I know the motor is 2K by itself - 11.1L 350hp Detroit Diesel Series 60.