Author Topic: mix changes all by itself.  (Read 5496 times)

prentii

• Youngling
mix changes all by itself.
« on: January 23, 2014, 02:31:23 PM »
Been using the 1608 with a netgear wireless router.  At least a couple of times recently part way during the session the mix has suddenly increased in volume and the eq seems to change too.  First time with an iPad 2 using the wireless network and no iPad docked in the mixer.  Second time iPad 2 docked in the mixer and using iPhone 5 to mix via wireless network.  It is likely that the mix was not actively being changed from the remote iPad or iPhone for five-ten minutes before the increase in volume occurred.

It seems like the mixer is defaulting to some setting - but we can't figure what or why.

Help!!

Wynnd

• Master
Re: mix changes all by itself.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 04:37:00 PM »
Never experienced that.  First question is do you have a solid password on your WiFi router?  No password, no protection from intruders.  I'm using a passphrase, easy to remember and hard to crack.  (lots more characters.)  I've also named my WiFi NoInternetHere to discourage people looking for a connection from even bothering.  I'm also finding a more consistant connection using the 5 Ghz band.  (Using late version of Airport Express that does both bands at the same time.)   I can't think of any other obvious things that might occur.  (Unless it's possible to open more than 1 copy of master fader at a time.  Just in case, learn how to close a program on the ipad.  Mostly the programs are only taken off the screen while lying elsewhere.)   I've also taken to limiting my bandmates access to the mixer.  (Letting them set their own monitor/IEMs.)  I've never had to lock them, but then nobody has abused that feature.  Hope this helps.

Harpman

• Knight
  • “If music be the food of love, play on"
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 05:10:30 PM »
Never experienced that.  First question is do you have a solid password on your WiFi router?  No password, no protection from intruders.  I'm using a passphrase, easy to remember and hard to crack.  (lots more characters.)  I've also named my WiFi NoInternetHere to discourage people looking for a connection from even bothering.  I'm also finding a more consistant connection using the 5 Ghz band.  (Using late version of Airport Express that does both bands at the same time.)   I can't think of any other obvious things that might occur.  (Unless it's possible to open more than 1 copy of master fader at a time.  Just in case, learn how to close a program on the ipad.  Mostly the programs are only taken off the screen while lying elsewhere.)   I've also taken to limiting my bandmates access to the mixer.  (Letting them set their own monitor/IEMs.)  I've never had to lock them, but then nobody has abused that feature.  Hope this helps.

Wynn, Ditto that.  Nice post.  I totally agree

Gio

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment
"We Bring Good Music to Life"

prentii

• Youngling
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 05:58:35 PM »
Thanks - I am fairly convinced that no one else is 'mucking about' with the signal and yes the router has a password that I don't think is being breached.  It may be linked to the router signal dropping out, but I don't understand why the mixer doesn't just stay where it was before the signal loss.

hmmm??

Tnelson494

• Padawan
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 08:29:15 PM »
My Ipad 2 (I use for remote back up some time's) will occasionally act like some one is touching the screen in random spots I've seen it  hit on links in web pages and start going to town and if it's on the search screen it will start randomly typing #'s (it will flip roll screens too)  I looked into it a bit on the web and it has happened to enough people that a couple threads have been started on the subject (it all seems to end with take it to Apple) I have had it move fader's when I was just messing around in Off Line mode ( I do use it as my non connected Ipad as it does not do it very often and I only use it to adjust the main mix at start and some monitor adjustments then turn it off when not using it ). I remember once I left it on and we started getting some feedback halfway through the show not sure if I nudged my backing vocal fader when I set it down or if it did it itself but it does have that ability. Not sure if you use your IPAD for anything else other then the DL but might be worth checking into, only problem is it is kind of a random thing  mine just out of the blue will do it and only way it stops is a reset (sometimes I have to do a couple for that) and sometimes it will go quit some time with out it happening.

prentii

• Youngling
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 11:01:22 AM »
my thought is that master fader from the remote ipad/iphone is dropping out through loss of router signal, and the desk is then reverting to some prior state - possibly the louder settings used when we do a bit of rehearsal.  Usually do the rehearsal fairly loud to check for headroom.  Alternately it may be setting the live faders to zero and defaulting to input gain.  It results in a sudden shift of sound much louder than what was  coming through. 

Possibly we are using the desk wrongly - but I would have thought that a loss of signal causing it to de-sync or 'no ipad connected' state, should just stay where it was.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 09:37:47 PM »
Possibly we are using the desk wrongly - but I would have thought that a loss of signal causing it to de-sync or 'no ipad connected' state, should just stay where it was.
That's what mine does :) .

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 05:24:18 AM »
My mixer stays in it's last state if the ipad disconnects or is shut off.  (Or fails as at least one person mentioned.) That's easy enough to test.  If the volume is changing, it almost has to be associated with an ios device.  One other possibility is that the trim controls are too loose.  There is another thread here on using o-rings to stiffen up the trim controls.  Cheap mod that everyone who has done it likes.  I haven't seen a need in my case.  The mixer is mounted in a rack that is generally closed up except for use.  I might make that change in the future.  I just tried to open up two sessions of Master Fader.  Can't.  I can open Master Fader and My Fader on the same ipad at the same time.  Double click the home button and you should be able to flick apps that you don't need open, closed.  (Great fun, even if it is the only way to actually close a program.) 

prentii

• Youngling
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 11:41:14 AM »
doh! didn't know there was a MyFader - hadn't got that far as mostly only have one iPad in use.  It isn't the input gains/trims as the desk sits nice and still with nothing touching it.  Thanks for the ios advice - will make sure all other stuff is closed on the ipad.  One of these days will read the manual  :) - got put off by all the stuff that says how easy and amazing it is, without actually giving step by step instructions.  Thanks guys.

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 01:33:55 PM »
Personally I have never experienced anything like this. And it seems no one else here has. Here is what I think is going on. I don't think it has any thing to do with you iPad or your dl mixer. If the entire mix is raising in volume maybe you amps are going up. Or your signal itself could be affected by a bad cable with intermittent response.

Years ago I had a bad amp in a powered mixer. I would be in the middle of a set and I could hear volume going up. This was the amp kicking in. I had to immediately turn down the volume. If I didn't I would be in trouble. I found a way with this particular unit to avoid the issue. I had to drive signals hard with the speakers unplugged until I saw the levels fully engage. But when it first started happening I had no idea what was going on. I was wondering why I had everything set unusually higher. At least wondering this till the volume went way up.

Both cable issues and amp issues can also affect tone which is why you have a eq change. When my amp wasn't kicked in I was missing a lot of warmth.

So make sure you rule everything else out before thinking it's coming from the dl. You may have bigger issues going on.

And one more thing. A mix changing is completely different than the entire mix going up. If the mix is changing it's the dl. Possibly, as someone said, the trim knobs. Or something on stage changing. Which then again would not be the dl. Maybe you have a guitar player than can't keep his hands off his amp.

If the entire mix is raising it could be something else.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 01:39:14 PM by Jerrylee »

prentii

• Youngling
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 02:11:18 PM »
that's interesting - I think I will have to check - although difficult to go fiddling about too much when it happens.  we have a really simple set up most of the time.

one acoustic guitar via DI, one or two SM58 mics direct to the input, a Shure hand held radio mic to a twin receiver (will take a headset mic but we don't use it), then interval music from iTunes from iPad. Wharefedale powered speakers with good cables direct from DL.

Generally set up with iPad docked, then EQ/mix remotely once up and running.

I guess like an old car - assume nothing check electrics and fuel.  Work through it I suppose.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 07:14:28 PM »
Get someone to video tape the entire show so you can hear what's happening offstage.  Won't prevent it from happening but might help with diagnostics.