Author Topic: Midas M32  (Read 21707 times)

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
Re: Midas M32
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2014, 06:30:25 AM »
FWIW, there have been some folks having sync problems with the S16 from static discharge infiltrating the line. It's not enough to have STP. The ends need to be terminated with Ethercon plugs with the shield tied to the shell to ensure static discharge gets shunted away from the signal wires. Apparently it's very unpleasant to have it happen during a show. Audio drops out, then crackles and pops whilst the resync occurs.
Procrastinators of the World, Contemplate Uniting!

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2014, 08:09:13 AM »
I can never resist a good deal either - dammit! I'm an ad man's dream come true, my inner child won't let me walk away :/
A bargain I've actually seen over here is 50m of Belden sf/utp on a Schill reel for £150 (Thomann)
I know I could make one up myself but they only sell 300m rolls elsewhere. Getting raw cable (other than utp) is proving a little difficult in anything other than full rolls.

In another life the X-rack and X-32 would have been a great choice for me, especially the rack instead of a "dumb box" like the ar2412. I've been watching the Behringer forums and in fairness B' has been quick to swap out faulty units in the US. I just don't know if that would happen here in the UK. As I said a long time ago on the forum, my experience of B' service here in the UK was very poor, albeit quite some time ago. Regardless of whatever desk I have, I always carry a spare. I suppose either the x-rack or x32 would have been backup to each other so a savvy choice in that respect too. What I've bought is what I really wanted. It ticks all the boxes for me and if my previous experience with A&H mixers is anything to go by, it should be a good one. If it goes wrong, service /replacement is literally only minutes away should I need it!
The older I get, the better I was!

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2014, 08:55:00 AM »
FWIW, there have been some folks having sync problems with the S16 from static discharge infiltrating the line. It's not enough to have STP. The ends need to be terminated with Ethercon plugs with the shield tied to the shell to ensure static discharge gets shunted away from the signal wires. Apparently it's very unpleasant to have it happen during a show. Audio drops out, then crackles and pops whilst the resync occurs.
Yup hooked in on that conversation. Not even sure that Midas has enough protection but is a lot more resistant.
When in doubt KISS

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2014, 10:04:21 AM »
Yup hooked in on that conversation. Not even sure that Midas has enough protection but is a lot more resistant.
I'd stumbled on to that thread or a similar one as well, I think double screen is the route I'll be taking. What about the Midas desks being more substantial mass wise as a reason they were more immune to problems given they shared similar network hardware. Is that a viable theory?

I'll buy that sf/utp reel I mentioned and search for raw cable to make up others. I have plenty of vanilla cable here too just in case.
I used my 24/8 multicore the weekend before last for the first time in ages and it was a wrestling session as expected. The DL had me spoilt for so long, it really was a nightmare running the multi again. It's a new show I'd taken on and although the A&H iPad app is okay, I needed real faders and to be down the room to make it sound right, so out came the multi. Two days later I ordered the AR but I baulked at the £600 asking price for an A&H digi-snake. I don't want the whole show let down by one cable, but I honestly can't see where the money/cost is in that cable. Intrinsically, how can it be 10 or 100x more expensive than TV coax or similar? Adding shielding or a flexible jacket to cat5e cable shouldn't inflate the price that much!!

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2014, 03:23:56 PM »
The reason is well understood AES papers on the subject (Bill Whitlock et. all.). The proper separation of safety ground (chassis ground) from signal ground is key. The basis for the pin one problem. WOW I just looked at what you added and it doubled the cost of your original Qu-2400 console. The 80ft cable is $399 and the 264 ft is $899 here. If I would make a cable I would use STP cat6 and Ethercon connectors. Cat 6 is better control of twists per inch and impedance match. Some claim to have the sync problem disappear with just cat 6 UTP. I would question that since it doesn't address the ground routing.
When in doubt KISS

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2014, 10:02:49 AM »
I didn't buy the A&H cable WK - like I said, toooooo expensive! I bought the Belden sf/utp 50m one from Thomann, just waiting for it to be delivered. I'll maybe make up some cat6 leads like you've suggested. I don't plan to have any digital cable run under foot other than in floor protectors. Also found a place that sells Van Damme Tourcat in lengths, so I'll buy some of that as another very good backup solution.