Author Topic: DL-1608 Newbie / Aux Sends NOT receiving any signal?????  (Read 11095 times)

flyboy1969

• Initiate
DL-1608 Newbie / Aux Sends NOT receiving any signal?????
« on: January 26, 2014, 04:22:56 PM »
We are using the 1608 as a permanent install. We are running main speakers and subs out of 5 of the 6 aux sends because we need the separate volume and eq controls. We have only had the board for 2 days and using a simple ipod input.... There is signal from the channel, there is signal showing on LR. But nothing we do is showing or sending signal to ANY of the AUX? Please help!! what are we doing wrong?

Wynnd

• Master
Re: DL-1608 Newbie / Aux Sends NOT receiving any signal?????
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 09:41:02 PM »
If you're running your Aux's post fader, the LR channel fader has to be up for the Aux fader to have any affect.  Example is Channel 1 LR fader is the whole way down, Channel 1 Aux 1 fader is the whole way up.  There can't be any sound if Aux 1 is POST fader.  (Meaning after the channel Fader on LR)   So under similar circumstances, if Channel 1 LR fader is at 0 and Channel 1 Aux 1 is also at 0, then Aux 1 can be used to send sound out.  (Assuming that the Aux 1 main fader also is up.)    Now if you run the Aux's as pre-fader, the best way to use them for monitors, the position of any fader on LR is irrelevant and will have no affect on pre-fader Aux outs.  If your mixer isn't working this way, then there is a problem.  Note that the vu meters on the channels and main faders are only input vu meters and don't represent output level.  You didn't mention any amplifiers.  This isn't a powered mixer and can not be used to drive passive speakers.  (I have a friend who has trouble keeping this straight with his mixer.)  The vu meters should be showing up on all aux's and effects.  Also, Aux 1/4 inch are outputs only and your ipod should be going into one of the XLR or XLR/guitar inputs.  (That should be obvious, but I don't know you.  Please don't take offense. If this is your first experience with a mid level mixer things might not work in ways that you are used to.  There is a learning curve and Mackie took some liberties with it's control designs.)   So put your ipod output into channels 15 and 16, turn up the trim until you get some red and them back off a bit.  Go to channels 15 and 16 and link them together on LR.  (That will link those together on all Aux channels.)  You should be seeing the input VU meters indicating how strong the input signal is on LR and any of the Aux channels.  Now if you're using Aux 5 and Aux 6 for mains and subs, you will want to run them post fader with channel 15/16 fader the whole way up.  Set the Aux outs up to about -20 for starters and then you can turn on your amplifiers and start setting up the EQ (Sitting above the main fader on each Aux.  This isn't the best way to get a pre-amplifier crossover.  There are electronic crossovers that are better for that function.)    Now one last thing, because if you set this up the way I suggested, you will need to return to the LR out and raise the 15/16 fader and then sound should start flowing out through Aux 5 and 6.   If this doesn't work, I'd take the unit back to the people who sold it to you and verify that it's working correctly.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 09:47:22 PM »
I'm also assuming that you have an ipad that is docked or you have added your own Wifi and connected that up correctly.  It really sounds like you haven't gotten anything to work for you here.  Maybe verify that the main outs are working the way you think they should.  I'd like to know where you put the ipod outputs to and what type of connector your used to make the connections.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 09:55:25 PM »
At this point I'd be wondering if the mixer is working correctly.  Have you hooked up headphones?  You should be able to monitor any channel or any output with them and make sure things are working the way you think they should be.  If you don't select a channel, then the default is to monitor the LR output.   (And like all mixer defaults, everything is turned down when delivered.)  I went from a Allen/Heath MixWiz with Personus StudioLive 24.4.2 mixer experience before buying my DL1608.  If you were in the Denver area, I'd be more than happy to drop by and look at it directly.  (I've got a skype account.  Do you have internet where the mixer is?   It would be better than my guessing what's happening.)

flyboy1969

• Initiate
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 10:21:05 PM »
Yes... running all active speaker.
Yes I understand the 'graphic level' is source not output.
I have an ipod plugged in to 13 & 14 which are linked. I have output signal with signal showing on BOTH 13/14 and L/R. Sound is working on headphones in addition to sound working if I hook up a speaker to main outs.

But when I switch to any aux fader there is no signal being shown.

flyboy1969

• Initiate
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 10:22:42 PM »
If you don't select a channel, then the default is to monitor the LR output.

This may be the problem... but I have not been able to understand how to send my 13/14 input to aux (1,2,3,4,5)?

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 12:01:30 AM »
OK this is a simple test to check the DL. Not to be meant as setup. Your iPod input 13&14 needs to be set in LR view. Turn off mutes for channels 13&14 and master LR. faders on all to 0. Set iPod signals via ipod/gain control to about 0 on meter for 13&14.(speakers off) A steady test signal would be best if your trying to see levels otherwise estimate based on music. Make sure all eq, comp, gates are off (box grayed out) in the channels and the LR output. You should now have meters at 0 on channels and maybe -3dB on main LR or at least tracking input 13&14. If this is not close your DL has a problem. Next do exactly the same with A1. Do not change LR settings. A1 channel 13&14 mutes must be off along with A1 master mute. Faders at 0. At this point you should have similar meter readings as in the previous test of LR. If not your DL has a problem. You can check all the rest of the aux's with same process. If you do have meter readings in the expected range then work backwards turning on eq's gates, comps etc. until you find your problem. Pre/post/mute type settings won't affect this. Make sure delay and reverb are muted.
When in doubt KISS

flyboy1969

• Initiate
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 01:14:15 AM »
THANK YOU!!! I did not understand that the channel level input was different when I switched to aux faders.... As I said I am a newbiw at this. We are opening an indoor cycling studio with a 7 speaker / Yorkville setup and this board was recommended to be able to set eq and volumes for the surround speaker setup.

Thank you very much for all your help... followed your trouble shooting and then the light went on what I had missed.

Regards,

James
www.cycle-logik.com

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 04:16:44 AM »
You're welcome. I don't mean to second guess anyone there but if you looking for surround sound 5/6/7.1 you may want to get another opinion. DL is far from a surround sound controller.
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 05:58:02 AM »
Kudos to all the help and finding the issues.  Mackie did take a few liberties with making this mixer work differently than the analog types.  It does make it better, but it also makes it a bit confusing.  Glad everything worked out for you and the mixer isn't bad.  There are people having problems with their mixer, but I'm also thinking that a lot of us aren't having any problems at all.  Just came from rehearsal and just like last night it was flawless.  I really like the mixer and I'm pretty sure that after using it for a while, you will too.  And with your surround sound needs, this mixer is a good choice.  (You're really running 7 channels of separate powered speakers?  Can't do that with a MixWiz.  Well, actually you could if you opened it up and changed all the aux's into post fader and post eq.  There ar jumpers inside the MixWiz that make that possible.)