Author Topic: Intermittent channel drop issue  (Read 5118 times)

TimC

• Youngling
Intermittent channel drop issue
« on: February 01, 2014, 04:52:14 PM »
Thought I'd share a issue we're experiencing with a brand new DL1608 (used for 3 practice sessions).  Towards the end of our last practice session,  all of a sudden in the midst of a song, I lost audio output on channel 13 which I had a synth (mono) running into the 1/4.  It was as if the there was no input signal.  The signal indicator on my synth was still responding as was the pre-amp gain LED (flashing green) on the Mackie.  All other channels were working as expected.  The channel level indicator on the Mackie showed no signal.  Tried power recycle of mixer and iPad.  Still no sound on the channel.  Called it a night. Fired up the mixer (testing with dynamic mic input rather than keys) the next morning, and the problem channel worked fine for a few minutes and then died as before.  Waited a day, fired up the mixer again, died within a few minutes as before.  Next for the heck of it, turned on phantom power switch ,still using just a dynamic mic on the Mackie and the channel has been working fine for 30+ minutes now.  My conclusion is some type of component failure and will return the unit but was curious if anyone else has observed this type of issue or has any insight into where the likely failure is (for those that have schematics or scoped out the Mackie design). Thanks in advance.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
Re: Intermittent channel drop issue
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 05:10:54 PM »
Sounds like a bad A/D converter (or connection on the PCB).

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 06:12:19 PM »
I've never seen that.  Note: e-mail Mackie tech support.  Their normal website support didn't work for me.  On the other hand, the e-mail to tech support did and when they swapped out my mixer under warranty, it went very smoothly.  (And no change out of my pocket.)  Pretty sure that RoadRanger nailed the reason.  This is clearly what warranties are for.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 08:30:10 PM »
Yup time for a new DL from Mackie. It could be as RR stated a bad cable connection or a dying A/D converter. Nothing you'd want to fix. Last I checked with Mackie on schematics is "we're not providing these even with a non-disclosure agreement". A little paranoid and any of their competition can pick up a DL and have it mapped out in about 2 days so what's the point?
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 02:28:34 AM »
They also don't seem to be set up for repairs anywhere in the USA.  There's a part of me that's disappointed in that.  It doesn't change my life, but I hate throwing things away and most equipment could be fixed.  Mine was swapped out for a failed XLR/TRS connector.  If it had been out of warranty, I would have fixed it myself.  Hope they fixed it.

Robert

• Youngling
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 03:52:25 AM »
I recently had channel 15 drop out on me.  During the gig, I thought it was just a guitar cord, but it has resurfaced while testing in my basement.  I too, still see the signal LED is always active, but no signal is being routed through the DL.  As the OP stated, mine too is intermittent.  I'm still trying to figure out the sequence of events that cause it to come or go.  Mackie tech support gave me the names of the nearest service center, but I'm inclined to just not use that channel for a primary instrument for now, since we use this thing so much.  I just wanted to chime in here and let everyone know this is not an isolated case.  Kinda smells buggy to me. I was fiddling with the compressor Fx screed once when it started working again. 

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 03:54:24 AM »
I've been hoping to seen refurb units come up for sale, so far the used ones I've seen are selling or as much as I can get a new one for :-\ .

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 03:56:37 AM »
Hope it stays that way for another month. :) I'm waiting for the mix-busters to put one out there for $50. Id take it apart.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 03:59:19 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 04:11:05 AM »
I'm assuming that you've all checked to see if the gate was set on that channel.  I'm only using a gate on acoustic kick drums.  Generally I just turn the gate off on most channels.  (That ought to be the default.)  If you don't know what a gate does, look it up.  Most channels don't ever need a gate.  It is good when you need it and know how to set it up.  (Note:  There isn't a gate on the L/R and aux outs.) 

Robert

• Youngling
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 04:13:57 AM »
I was checking the gate, and it was off.  Thanks.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 04:18:04 AM »
I've been hoping to seen refurb units come up for sale, so far the used ones I've seen are selling or as much as I can get a new one for :-\ .
Mackie is manufacturing (loose term) in Mexico. It's called Nearshoring and at $3.00 per hr. almost near China at present. Throw in the $2000 savings per container to get it here and it looks pretty good. Turnaround should also be fast. The broken ones make it back and since they're into green cycling they come back as new. Neat trick.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 04:19:38 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 04:19:41 AM »
That's a pretty good sign that you need to get a warranty replacement.   Did you say that they are fixing these now?  My warranty replacement left me without a mixer for about an hour while I was swapping out the units in my mixing stack.  Don't think things could work out any better.