Author Topic: Will 1st generation iPad work with current Master Fader app?  (Read 11494 times)

paulfrench

• Padawan
Will 1st generation iPad work with current Master Fader app?
« on: February 12, 2014, 01:52:13 PM »
My band is about to buy a new Dl 1608 and I'm wondering there are any issues using an original 1st gen iPad with the most up to date software. It will remain in the dock, and I'll be mixing the band from the stage without a lot of adjusting throughout the night. So, should we get a used iPad 1, or is it worth paying a little extra to get an iPad 2?

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
Re: Will 1st generation iPad work with current Master Fader app?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 07:56:23 PM »
My band is about to buy a new Dl 1608 and I'm wondering there are any issues using an original 1st gen iPad with the most up to date software. It will remain in the dock, and I'll be mixing the band from the stage without a lot of adjusting throughout the night. So, should we get a used iPad 1, or is it worth paying a little extra to get an iPad 2?
Personally I think the price difference between a used "1" and "2" isn't enough to not get a "2" especially as a "1" can't be updated to the latest iOS - and last I knew a new "2" isn't much more than a used "2", YMMV .

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 09:49:11 PM »
Yes an "iPad 1" works but is a little slow in operation. I still use one but it seems to work better undocked IMHO.
The older I get, the better I was!

paulfrench

• Padawan
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 12:27:22 AM »
Thanks for the helpful feedback guys. I know there were some issues people were having with the earlier versions of the app and the 1st generation iPad. Sounds like they've fixed many of them. I downloaded the Master Fader app onto my iPad Air, and it looks like the DL1608 is gonna be a nice upgrade from our MixWizard. I'll be using the Air for pdf sheet music and daily use, and plan to leave the other docked in the 1608.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 01:34:52 AM »
I moved from a MixWiz to the DL1908 for several reasons.  First, it's lighter and at 60 I'm trying to lighten up my load.  Second, the ability to save shows and recall them.  That's very useful when I not only mix my band, I also mix discussion panels, political speeches and rallies and I do a Senior's variety show every year that I'm looking forward to mixing from the audience.  (By the way, I've found it much easier to live with when you default to syncing with the mixer instead of syncing with the ipad when turning everything on.  Then if you need to change, it works fine.)   The MixWiz is faster to make Aux volume and channel EQ changes.  I'm not at the point where that's been a problem, but speed might be a limiting factor for using with my Senior's show.  (I do a lot of bringing mics in and out throughout the show.  It will be interesting.)   I was ready to sell my MixWiz, but might decide to keep it instead.  (As a secondary mixer to go with the DL and my Alesis Multimix16 Firewire recording mixer.)

paulfrench

• Padawan
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 04:03:59 AM »
We have the same reasons for switching over Wynn. I think it's gonna save about 50lbs and some space in the truck. We play about 30-35 weddings each year, and some of the load ins are killer. Anything to make our job easier is a good idea. Once I get the mix set, it doesn't change much, even gig to gig, thanks to the in ear monitors. I'll be glad to be able to save a mix for the cocktail and dinner sets, and switch to the dance set mix. Once I get the compressors set, I imagine those will help keep the levels from jumping around much and make my job even easier.

I didn't understand what you meant by syncing the mixer on start up. I'll have to dig a little deeper into the user guide and find out.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 04:12:44 AM »
It's not mentioned.  But I noticed a few times that when I started up the ipad with a different show than the one last on the mixer and attempted to sync to the ipad, it would sometimes hang.  So my startup procedure is to start Master Fader while docked, turn on the mixer, Sync the ipad to the mixer.  Go do some other setup stuff and come back to the mixer and select the show that I want to use and recall that one.  (That is default to the mixer at startup, then later select the show I'm actually going to use.)  I don't really know if this truly addresses the issue, but I haven't had the ipad or mixer hang since I've started doing it this way.  Things are always going to be a bit strange when using two different devices that act as one.  It's not perfect, but it is pretty good.

paulfrench

• Padawan
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 04:21:42 AM »
Thanks for the explanation. That will probably save me a big headache. Now the search is on for an iPad 2, and order up the 1608.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 04:38:54 AM »
Just realize that it just might be my perception and nothing really.  Humans tend to go with what looks like it works.  It might just be me not being patience enough.  By the way, I'm also using an ipad 2.  As the owner of an iphone 4S and user of Siri, I miss not being able to dictate to the ipad like I do with my iphone.  Not sure that's even an option on later models.  If it is, that would be worth the extra cost.  (And the 30 pin connector was the only one available when I bought my Mixer.  That's no longer true.)

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 06:02:46 AM »
^ My iPad Mini has Siri so I assume the iPad 3 and later also do.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 06:20:42 AM »
It's in 3 so shut it off. Last thing you need is some yappy female voice chirping in at the wrong time and using up resources.
When in doubt KISS

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 06:50:35 AM »
It's in 3 so shut it off. Last thing you need is some yappy female voice chirping in at the wrong time and using up resources.
For sure shut it off! I was using a friend's iPad 3 docked for bgm at a fairly big gig and pressed/lingered too long on the home button - off went the music, on came Siri - embarrassing  :-[

paulfrench

• Padawan
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2014, 08:30:20 PM »
Thanks for the advice. We ended up buying an iPad 2 in "mint" condition. (that's what the seller"s assessment was anyway...uh, not quite.) Anyway,$200, and it's working so far on it's own. We ordered the 1608, so when it gets here I'll get to to work learning how to run it for real.

Thanks

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 08:48:28 PM »
Thanks for the advice. We ended up buying an iPad 2 in "mint" condition. (that's what the seller"s assessment was anyway...uh, not quite.) Anyway,$200, and it's working so far on it's own. We ordered the 1608, so when it gets here I'll get to to work learning how to run it for real.

Thanks
Good luck with it Paul :thu:

paulfrench

• Padawan
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 09:00:49 PM »
Thank you sir! I'm looking forward to entering the new (to me) world of live digital mixing. It's gonna be a good thing.